Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....what would your choices be? I just got a bike shop job & I'm considering on building the ultimate bike piece by piece.

My criteria:
I'm a heavy guy so I need strong parts and good suspension, but I also have to use this bike as my only ride. I might pick up a cheap hardtail for xc(excersize & road commuting) so I'm looking at building something that can with stand eastcoast ski hills(windrock, plattekill, snowshoe). But it also has to be used on the local stuff that I pedal to. I'm stuck in flat land USA, good ole' OH now, but there are some good size "hills" not mtn's that have some pretty steep sections for drops, hits, gaps, etc. And there seems to be a good freeride scene here.

The shop carries the following bike companies:
Kona
Giant
Bianchi
Fuji
Haro
and
Raleigh

and of course I can get "any" part or fork that's in stock. I currently rip my norco six I just picked up and love it to death! But I figure that because I work for a shop now, why not sell the Six and get something that I could turn around and sell down the road & get my money back out of it with the discount I now get. Plus it would be fun to build the "ultimate" ride for about a 1/3 off the price I'm used to paying ;)

I was thinking Giant Faith 1 with a Fox DH40 up front?
Not too fond of that frame though, but I really like the parts spec list!

They also carry Kona's, so theres the stab supreme or stinky supreme that's really nice outa the box.

Only major thing I have to think about is, whatever I pick, I have to stick with it for a year. The industry states that if you use shop discount, you have to rip that frame for a year before you can sell it, or I'd get fired, so...

Otherwise I'd get the Faith 1 for the parts and DH40 up front, sell the frame and get a vp-free or uzzi or something along those lines.

Lets see how creative you can get, weight spec's for each part, etc. It's fun doing this, especially if your considering the "Ultimate build" yourself.

I want to build a strong, beefy bike that's 20lbs lol right...:rolleyes:

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Dewd your nutz.

Keep your Norco. It will rip on just about anything in the East or anywhere else for that matter. MAYBE get a 7" fork.

If ya can't do it on a 6/6 or 6/7......ya shouldn't be doin' it at all.

Save your money and move the fuc out of OH and go back West............... :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
e[i said:
o]Dewd your nutz.

Keep your Norco. It will rip on just about anything in the East or anywhere else for that matter. MAYBE get a 7" fork.

If ya can't do it on a 6/6 or 6/7......ya shouldn't be doin' it at all.

Save your money and move the fuc out of OH and go back West............... :D
lol...yeah. I'm here for other reasons right now, family, career, and because of that other reason... I got offered a job in Teluride, Durango, or Portland. I was sooo tempted to take one of the first two but I'm going to stick around for a couple of years to make sure my family is OK. But then I will be moving out west fo sho!

As stated above, I LOVE my Norco. The ONLY reason I'm considering on selling it is because I can take the money from the sale and buy twice the bike(price wise) so that when I go to sell it in the fall, I'll be making a lil and or just breaking even on what I spent. It's a financial move, and, to be honest, it would be nice to try out different products.

But it will be hard to let my Six go, it rides so nice for the bike it is, if I didn't have this opportunity, I wouldn't even think twice! Maybe I could get the Faith 1 and sell the frame, transfer all the parts over to the Six lol... then build up a sick hardtail.
[/i]

·
Registered
314 Posts
O~Hi~O said:
lol...yeah. I'm here for other reasons right now, family, career, and because of that other reason... I got offered a job in Teluride, Durango, or Portland. I was sooo tempted to take one of the first two but I'm going to stick around for a couple of years to make sure my family is OK. But then I will be moving out west fo sho!

As stated above, I LOVE my Norco. The ONLY reason I'm considering on selling it is because I can take the money from the sale and buy twice the bike(price wise) so that when I go to sell it in the fall, I'll be making a lil and or just breaking even on what I spent. It's a financial move, and, to be honest, it would be nice to try out different products.

But it will be hard to let my Six go, it rides so nice for the bike it is, if I didn't have this opportunity, I wouldn't even think twice! Maybe I could get the Faith 1 and sell the frame, transfer all the parts over to the Six lol... then build up a sick hardtail.
[/i]
Why not keep the 6 and just upgrade the components, you have a good platform to work with. Some really good aftermarket parts will make huge difference. Then you could buy a $200 (bike shop price) commuter bike.... just a thought.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
O~Hi~O said:
Maybe I could get the Faith 1 and sell the frame, transfer all the parts over to the Six lol... then build up a sick hardtail.
[/i]
That was the other thing I was gonna suggest, but I'm in Scrooge mode right now........Saving dough to get back to OR.

Besides I don't care much for the Kona or Giant stuff.

Hey, if you don't want that job in Portland, I'll take it.......... :p

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Kona Stab Supreme sound pritty good...
But if is gonna be a dream bike u can go for a black shiver up front , some EX729 wheelset w/chris king hubs, mrp bone cranks, thomson post , X.9 shifter/del. , hope mono brakes and go from there... ;)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Advice

As a shop employee, its going to be very easy to go overboard here and pick every part single, but, the better option, both on your wallet, and for the future when you sell the bike, would be to take a fully built bike, on EP, from one of the companies your shop has, and go from there. You get a hell of a deal (extra 10-15%) off wholesale when you buy the manufacturer's spec'd kit, and the upper ends are quite impressive. Anything you don't want, go ahead and replace, sell on ebay or mtbr, or maybe the owner will put it in the window and buy it off you for a decent price. If you go out and just snag a frame only, then part everything out, one piece at a time, from BTI, QBP, etc., you are going to run into a good chunk of change, even at employee prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.