Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would you want:

29er, short-chainstay, hardtail, with 100-120mm fork, run in 1x9 that would be a completely new experience

or

650B, full suspension, adjustable geometry, 4-5" travel F/R on a frame that you've owned for 3 years?

I'm torn. I've got a Prophet that I never ride. I also am very low on cash. I really want to try a 29er, but I've never had any complaints about my Prophet's frame geometry. I have the option to trade my old Prophet for a 29er with a much better fork than my Pike, and a better wheelset as well. It'll cost me close to $250 bucks to make the switch to 650B on my Prophet, between getting rims laced and tires that overly expensive. The 29er will cost me the price of shipping (under $75) and the cost of a new headset.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
If you are short on cash, but have enough for the wheels I would do the 650B. Unless you are really tall and need a 29er, I think a FS 650B setup would be sweet.

Oh... I read the rest of your post... I would say either way would be fine, but if you like how the Prophet rides, and how it fits, I would be tempted to keep with it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the 650b wheels will change the feeling the bike, while a 29er is built for the wheel size and will handle accordingly.

on the flip side, i converted a bike to 650b and thought it handled great! i loved it! if 650b had more tire choices and was well accepted to the point that i felt i could get replacement parts anywhere, i would have built up a 650 b bike rather than a 29er.

just my opinion...

·
Mac & Jacks African Amber
103 Posts
Since, from your profile, you are 24 and a free ride style guy, might I recommned a third option? I do not think you will be satisfied long-term with the 29er HT. I suggest a 97.5er on your FS frame. I asume that means getting a 29er specific front fork. Just food for thought.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not enough money for that third option.

I'm really concerned about the inability to ride the bike before trading. The Scout could be awesome...or I could hate it.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
You could just get one 650b for the front. It will clear the Pike fork (at least it worked for Derby I believe). It could be the cheapest alternative to bring new life to an old ride. Only you know the right answer.

You say you never ride your Prophet now? Why? Is it just due to the wheel size - or is there another reason you don't ride it? It is tough - I'm not sure just a new wheel size is going to bring new life into yoru old bike - but maybe it will. Only you know.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well:

1) Pike is too soft. Went to buy a stiffer spring and the seller sent me one that was softer than I had before. I've gotta get a new spring.

2) Prophet is gaining weight. Between Pike over Lefty, heavier tires and wheels to adapt to a type of riding that I'm not longer doing.

3) Rear shock is pretty lifeless. The Radium just seems to either be too stiff or too soft.

4) I think my weight has always effected my roll-over tendencies. I've always noticed that I tend to really get hung up on minor trail imperfections, causing me to run higher tire pressure and higher roll resistance tires to compensate for constantly losing inertia to small rocks and roots.

The 29er seems like it would allow my 215lbs to be more effective putting the power down, and since I'm searching for trails with the biggest drops/jumps anymore, I don't really need the rear suspension.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
For exploring unknown trails and tougher rocky terrain then do 650b for your Prophet, a Pike works awesome. If always looking for more buff trail then 29'er hardtail single ring. I chose a 5.5 inch travel 650b trail bike, the caddy ride on buff rolling trail is nice reward following the effort spent after many rocks.

·
No Clue Crew
7,466 Posts
For reference, the rig he's talking about is mine, a brand-new build Origin 8 Scout with only three rides on it. It's quite nice and has been ridden on typical rocky AZ trails where it did well. My knees just have tough time with SS/HT on the types of trails we have here.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Raising your tire pressure will increase your rolling resistance off road. You'll loose more inertia that way.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,922 Posts
Let's see... last year i bought a fully rigid 29er (GT Peace 9R Multi), then converted a 26er hardtail to 650B, then bought a beasley 1x9 for its frame, moved parts from conversion to it, and now I'm replacing that 29er with a DosNiner (again moving all the parts I upgraded, which was practically everything but frame/fork from the GT). And I'm also converting a 26er Full suspension into a 650B full suspension. ;)

Yeah, not a lot of this option or that option help from me. I do know I prefer the Beasley with 4.9" travel fork to the rigid forked Peace. I'll probably buy a haro sonix 650B next year to add to my collection of big wheel bikes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With limited cash, try the Prophet conversion, front wheel first. All conversions are perhaps best approached as experiments. 'You want to explore how the 650b rides in your frame.' The thing is, this experiment has no downside if you put a Neo-Moto on the front. It wows everybody. So do that. If you don't like it, that front wheel and tire will sell to the next curious rider. If you do like it, try building a rear wheel. (Maybe the Neo 2.1 will be available by then, it should be a good knobby rear tire. Another neat experiment.) My 4" full suspension full conversion (Marin Mt. Vision) rides great and while the front 650b provides the lion's share of the benefit, the rear 650b wheel definitely helps me achieve a more satisfying the rear suspension set up... so it's now become my "long-term experiment" with no end in sight!

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome insight guys. I just wish I could find a cheap wheelset. $40 rims still mean $35 wheel building charge and $50 tire...yikes!

I can't say I like giving up the benefits to full suspension for the benefits of 29er quite yet. We'll see. Blatant still has his frame, and my bike isn't going anywhere, so I assume if he is still interested that is an option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts