Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year I may be in a place that has primarily DH/FR so I'm checking out options for bikes more suited to this type of riding.

I'm a big fan of intense and bought a brand new tracer in '03 and have pounded the crap out of that bike for the last 5 years. But this is XC rider pounding, 1-3 foot drops and some mild rock gardens. :D I'm not totally married to the brand but I have nothing but good things to say about the quality and they are truly made in the USA.

Now I know that a new M6 or socom is more than I want to spend on a mountain bike. But, I've seen used M3's in the 2k-2500 range. However I known DH bikes take a beating.

So, in your opinion would it be better to buy a used M3, socom, etc.... Or go with a new lower cost bike? If so, which one?

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
You could definitely find a used M3 for 2,000 to 2,500. If you pay anything more than 2,500 for a solid build, I would say you might be paying a bit too much. The SOCOM is designed as a DH Racer, with really limiting geometry if you plan to freeride with it. If you're not going too huge, a SOCOM would be okay. Both the M3 and SOCOM have strong Downhill geometry designs, the Intense Freeride offering would be the Uzzi, a very good FR bike that pedals like a champ.

You seem to like Intense, so you should probably stick with other brands in terms of the VPP design. The M3 and V10 are pretty similar, the difference being geometry and I believe the leverage ratio. You could also find the V10 for under 2,500 (Granted its not a newer V10). The V10 is a straight up DH bike though. Santa Cruz feeride offering is the VP-Free, which gets criticized a lot on these boards. The High Bottom bracket may make it odd to truly ride DH on.

I would look into a Uzzi since you said DH and FR, they are great bikes. They are on the steep side in terms of price, but you could probably find a used one somewhere.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't want a strictly DH ride. I was a dirt jumping BMX kid so the FR thing I think will be fun. Pardon my ignorance in these matters since I've been doing strictly XC for a long time. The DH geometry lends itself to going fast and staying on the ground and FR is similar (long travel) but can still sorta function as a trail bike?

·
Pacifist Guerilla
195 Posts
big_slacker said:
Yeah, I don't want a strictly DH ride. I was a dirt jumping BMX kid so the FR thing I think will be fun. Pardon my ignorance in these matters since I've been doing strictly XC for a long time. The DH geometry lends itself to going fast and staying on the ground and FR is similar (long travel) but can still sorta function as a trail bike?
Hmm well I do, but a lot of people wouldnt. You have to be prepared to put up with the weight, i have the damien and its a good kilo or two lighter than the diablo. But then thats 3k+. Go for something a bit less dh oriented and lightweight if you want to use it for trail too. The diablo also comes with a shock that is not very adjustable, the damien i can pretty much totally stiffen up so its ok for pedalling. I rekon what you really want is a kona coiler.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Hit up the pinkbike.com classifieds. I just got a used 05 Norco Shore for $850, stellar condition. You could get yourself into some pretty sweet rigs for $2k+. Used is the way to go.

I wouldn't be too picky if your shopping used, just figure what you want. A DH bike or FR bike and look for a good deal.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
since the M-6 came out many riders dumped their M-3's and bought M-6's.....so that drove the price down on the M-3's and also a lot of M-3's do't really have the mileage on them...

If you buy one used buy it locally and take a look at in in person for cracks and such....but just by looking at the bike you can see the pounding it took....just look at pedals (misising pins or new pedals), scratches on fork, and rear triangle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.