Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I wish I had...
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I would love to be able to have 2 bikes (1 dj bike and 1 dhbike) I can only afford one:mad: So I race dh pretty competetively I also enjoy going to the dirtjumps in my freetime. I currently only have a "fr/dh" bike which is really heavy (demo 9) and its bad for the dirtjumps and its a terrible pedaler. So since my budget only allows me to have one bike (i would sell the demo) I have to choose one for everything. I could get a full out dh bike but then have no bike for the djs or to pedal on. Now if I was to get something like the bottlerocket with maybe a totem I could do everything yet it wouldnt be the best for djing nor the best for dhing but it would work for both. So the question is should I go all out on a dh bike (something strictly for dh unlike the demo, lighter, different geo...) because I race pretty competetively and just wait and try to jump on that until I can afford a dj hardtail or just go for something like the bottlerocket and have it work for both. It would take a pretty long time to get the cash for a djer after I buy a full dh bike just so you know. And also so you know I just got back from whistler and I used a bottlerocket and I thought it was a pretty sick bike. Opinions Please

·
Registered
708 Posts
dude we're on the same boat.. My thoughts were buy a full on DH/FR rig and get a temporary part time job and buy a 1000$ or 1500$ Dj bike. then you got two awesome rigs...

btw, buy the Dh bike first because it costs more... or you can buy a 2500$ Dh rig and a 1000$ DJ rig...

·
I wish I had...
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya that could work plus my friend has a kona scrap that he's with the 55r. It's not my favorite bike and I wouldn't really want to buy it but maybe I could like rent it off him?? Who knows, maybe it could work. But if I really had to I could either jump on the dh bike or my bro's giant yukon 'till I got my own djer.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If you dont have enough $$$ to buy a dh and dj bike, what do you do?

Sit around and watch us, spend your $ on beer and bum a rig from guys from time to time! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Banshee Wildcard + 66ATA

Similar to the Bottlerocket but lighter and more adjustable. The 66ATA will give you the adjustment in front for DH and DJ. If you have to compromise that would be the best way to go IMO.

·
Former Ninja
427 Posts
Keep the Demo for racing, and lift access stuff.

I know GT makes a nice 24" Hardtail, and I think mongoose does too. Since its the summer, go to your local bike shop and see what brands they carry. Most of the manufacturers have DJ hardtails now, but look for somthing chromo. If you can, maybe call up BlkMrkt and see if they could hook you up with a 357 complete. Work at the bike shop for the summer...or until you can pay it off.

Thats what I would suggest! Try to strike up some kind of deal working for them (if you can). Do whatever they want you to do (trash, cardboard, building up floor model bikes, etc).

Good luck!

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Either go for a used DJ or try something more in between like a "mini DH" rig. It looks like more companies are making these now (Commencal and Canfield for starters..) so there are options. You won't have a true DH or DJ rig but something that can do both fairly well.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Keep demo for now, buy BMX or cheapo DJ bike, replace parts when necessary. Consider a new frame for DH later and migrate all the parts you can from the Demo, then replace and upgrade as stuff breaks. The same game plan has worked very well for me!

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts

·
bikegeekjames
24 Posts
Make friends with peeps that work at a shop, buy their stuff, when they sell it off of an EP deal.
Good bike shop employees always take care of their bikes and usually trick out all the little things that make a seeming average bike unique.

I work at a shop, so thats how i do it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
^^^He wants more of a DH race rig. Something near 40 pounds and fast. The Demo 9 is extremely heavy (50+ lbs) an dnot great for racing. Its not great for jumping either.

iron1, how about you get that dh race rig and in about a year get a $1500 dj bike. Or get that race rig and buy a dj bike for like $500 off ebay.
Or get something like a Intense SS that wont be bad for racing and will be fun for dirtjumping.(thats what i did and i have a cheap $350 haro bmx.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.