Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it be?

I have two friends coming into town next week from DC(not the trail), and due to work, I can only take them to Sedona for one day. I have flipped through a few trail books and read the visitors sticky, but I guess I just want some opinions from riders who know the current trails conditions.

I have only ridden about 3/4 of the Munds Wagon/Damifino trail due to getting lost, and a couple of the side trails near the Bell Rock trail. We'll be riding SoMo all week, so I want something to contrast the extreme technical, something with more flow and speed.

We are in decent physical shape and have pretty good tech skills, all of us ride DH and are ok with killer climbs as long as the downhill is worth it. I'm thinking 3-4 hours and a good mix of everything if possible....I really liked the munds/cowpies trails that I rode, but wasn't too into the rest past the pies...I guess it was a little too slow and technical for me and then I just lost the trail completely, so that kinda ruined it for me:skep:

Thanks for the suggestions and I forgot to add we are all riding 6" bikes

-Chris:)

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
For me Hangover. Remember if it's your friends first time to Sedona they'll be looking at all the pretty red rock. It could be a rail trail and they might not notice:D

Talk to Traildoc.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
We just rode there today, the conditions were pretty decent with some wet areas. Forecast shows more rain coming in tonight though...If you didn't like the slow tech of the cowpies area the you might want to do Broken Arrow/Bell Rock/Templeton. That's a decent sampling of Sedona and should be a long enough ride to satisfy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully if the weather is semi-accurate, it won't be too wet. We are going there next saturday.

Also, my friends have been riding in freezing and rainy weather, so they probably won't care either way:D.

We'll probably make our final decision Wed. or Thurs so keep the suggestions coming!

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I took my friends through there in October. I wanted to do Hangover and had an offer to guide us but two of the others had not been before and one was not at all confident on the really steep exposed stuff. In the end we went from Oak Creek village (with the added bonus of finishing with coffee at Bike n Bean:thumbsup: )

We did Templeton as far as the river then turned back and climbed out. Part the way along the slickrock shelf return we then went down a connector to the car park used by hikers and thence on Mystic/bike path to pick up Broken Arrow. That is a great climb and you can divert to play on Submarine rock along the way. Then from Chicken Point, Little Horse is a great descent - step techy bit at the start with mutcho flow and fun to follow. That connects with Llama for the return leg to Oak Creek.

It is a great way tp see the best of the secenery and there is a lot of variety - plenty of speedy flowy bits but some interesting technical moves up and down - it is a good taster of what the area has to offer.

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
I rode hangover with Kenbentit yesterday and the conditions were pretty good. BUT, I'm still in Sedona and woke up to snow this morning, not alot of snow but I'm sure it's enough to make the slickrock, well slick. Just a FYI

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
cesper said:
What would it be?

I have two friends coming into town next week from DC(not the trail), and due to work, I can only take them to Sedona for one day. I have flipped through a few trail books and read the visitors sticky, but I guess I just want some opinions from riders who know the current trails conditions.

I have only ridden about 3/4 of the Munds Wagon/Damifino trail due to getting lost, and a couple of the side trails near the Bell Rock trail. We'll be riding SoMo all week, so I want something to contrast the extreme technical, something with more flow and speed.

We are in decent physical shape and have pretty good tech skills, all of us ride DH and are ok with killer climbs as long as the downhill is worth it. I'm thinking 3-4 hours and a good mix of everything if possible....I really liked the munds/cowpies trails that I rode, but wasn't too into the rest past the pies...I guess it was a little too slow and technical for me and then I just lost the trail completely, so that kinda ruined it for me:skep:

Thanks for the suggestions and I forgot to add we are all riding 6" bikes

-Chris:)
Chris:

As one of the self appointed ambassadors to finding the best trail(s) to ride on the only day your friends will be in Sedona, I propose the following: We will keep the trail selection a secret for now since it will probably change due to actual weather conditions at the exact time of their arrival.

You tell me the date and time they will be here and I will try to show them an unforgettable ride. After the ride you can report back whether I was successful. If I am not successful I will resign my position.

The trails proposed by the other posters are worthy selections if you don't want to take up my offer. If you choose to accept my offer it will cost you one of the following: a Curry entree at the local Thia restaurant, a burger and fries at the Red Plant Diner or a bottle of Kirkland Naproxen Sodium found at Costco.

It's snowing right now.

Doc :)

Attachments

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
traildoc said:
Chris:

As one of the self appointed ambassadors to finding the best trail(s) to ride on the only day your friends will be in Sedona, I propose the following: We will keep the trail selection a secret for now since it will probably change due to actual weather conditions at the exact time of their arrival.

You tell me the date and time they will be here and I will try to show them an unforgettable ride. After the ride you can report back whether I was successful. If I am not successful I will resign my position.

The trails proposed by the other posters are worthy selections if you don't want to take up my offer. If you choose to accept my offer it will cost you one of the following: a Curry entree at the local Thia restaurant, a burger and fries at the Red Plant Diner or a bottle of Kirkland Naproxen Sodium found at Costco.

It's snowing right now.

Doc :)
Do you know that you speak like Hannibal Lector? :smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
All excellent choices, I am only sad I had to miss Hangover with ken, heli and eabos! Word is traildoc has Sedona dialed, I would take him up on his offer! BTW, I hear he is the genious behind Hangover!

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
tls36 said:
All excellent choices, I am only sad I had to miss Hangover with ken, heli and eabos! Word is traildoc has Sedona dialed, I would take him up on his offer! /QUOTE]

tls:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. That might be the last day Hangover is rideable until Spring. North facing slickrock is going to be pretty dangerous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.