Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Some guy
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running some Panaracer Fire XC tires right now but they feel too beefy for racing. If you only have money for one set of tires to get you through the South/Central Ontario race season, which is it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Conti

Conti - Speed King SuperSonic 2.1- SUPER LIGHT - Very Grippy - not to best for VERY hard pack conditions......but the lightness makes up for that......Has Been GREAT this year in Sand and Moderatly Muddy conditions.......and GREAT Cornering knobs...you can lay the bike right over with confidence!!!! I have never flatted on them either!!!
.....If I could have two...Conti Twister Supersonic - for Dry!!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Scwalbe Racing Ralphs have been pretty decent as an all around tire. 29x2.4.
How do you like these when it's damp/wet out?
I took mine out once and I got scared...
Of course in general I'm a wuss and a horrible tech rider. :thumbsup:

·
veldrijder
1,083 Posts
I'm liking the Ralphs in wet or dry, but I don't ride in mud. I also run 29x 2.25/2.4 R/F at fairly low pressures tubeless, so take that as you like, but I can't imagine needing more grip unless things were really sloppy. I'm going to try some less knobby tires for dry conditions, but the '08 Racing Ralphs would be my "only one tire" choice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry to hijack.
I'm 175 lbs, + 26lbs bike. Running regular 26" Ralphs with tubes. What pressure do you guys think I could get away with? I'm currently at 37psi.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
bbgobie said:
Sorry to hijack.
I'm 175 lbs, + 26lbs bike. Running regular 26" Ralphs with tubes. What pressure do you guys think I could get away with? I'm currently at 37psi.
IMHO, it would depend on what trail you ride. 37 seems reasonable, but if the trail is smooth, you might be able to bump it down just a little more.

Also note, some floor pumps have horribly inaccurate gages. My floor pump is off by 12 PSI when measuring at 40 PSI.:eekster: So a reading of 37 on my pump would actually be close to 49!

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
rkj__ said:
Also note, some floor pumps have horribly inaccurate gages. My floor pump is off by 12 PSI when measuring at 40 PSI.:eekster: So a reading of 37 on my pump would actually be close to 49!
I once had a pump that was 25psi out. Not good.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
I am surprised by all the Racing Ralph love. I have a new set of 08's and think they are the worst tire I have ever used. I find them very slow and still have yet to find a surface they will actually grip to. For me the best tire for a good blend of speed and traction (as long as it is not real muddy) is the Kenda Small block 8. My girl friend is running a set now and says they as good as her Nevegals did but roll much faster.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I have been happy enough with my Python for the rear, but I'd like something better than what i have for the front. I have not been terribly impressed with either the Bontrager Jones XR or Maxxis Ignitor.

I like a grippy font tire, so i am thinking maybe Spider, Nevegal, Mountain King, or something along those lines. I might just try a python on the front first, and see how i like that. Tires can be expensive though. Have you seen the MSRP on Schwalbe stuff? Holy crap.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
I am surprised by all the Racing Ralph love. I have a new set of 08's and think they are the worst tire I have ever used. I find them very slow and still have yet to find a surface they will actually grip to. For me the best tire for a good blend of speed and traction (as long as it is not real muddy) is the Kenda Small block 8. My girl friend is running a set now and says they as good as her Nevegals did but roll much faster.
I found there's a fine line for the RR performance.. I tried running a higher pressure with the tire, and found that it is indeed super slow and lacking in grip. Drop 10psi, and its a completely different animal. I raced it at Albion today, and it felt as if i was on rails.

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
My 2 cents...

I love the Ignitors...surprisingly fast rolling, and they hook up great. Really good confidence tire, lots of grip. Kinda narrow for a front (get the 2.3), but I find they work great as a front or rear.

Crossmark - great rear tire, just as fast as the Pythons but grips much better, especially when you chop off every 2nd edge knob (gives improved bite with no effect on rolling resistance).

Pythons...fast rolling, but not much grip (especially on wet roots). Lacking in the side knob department. Not much grip for heavier riders.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.