Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, if by some reason the MTB police said you could only own 1 set of tires to ride in all conditions, what tire would you choose? In other words what tire could do reasonably well in all conditions?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
based on my limited experience (compared to many others here), I would have to say the Hutchinson Spider tires. I love them. While they are not the fastest rollling, because of their knobs being a bit spaced out, they are reasonably fast. They corner quite well given their side knobs. And they climb incredible in virtually all conditions and if it does get wet they are great, cause the spacing of the knobs.

·
some kind of hero...
543 Posts
LyNx said:
As the title says, if by some reason the MTB police said you could only own 1 set of tires to ride in all conditions, what tire would you choose? In other words what tire could do reasonably well in all conditions?
Continental Explorer.

Cheers
:cool:

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
Sticky Stuff

LyNx said:
Kenda nevegal's, pick any size. My favorite's, 2.5 front, 195 lite rear, roll surprisingly fast, & hook up on just about any dirt.

·
Registered
536 Posts
In SS PA

I have found the best tire for me.

Kenda Kinetics with the Stick-e formulation.

Great on anything wet, green rocks, logs, roots,

Was just out yesterday in the snow, and set them at 25 psi and they even gripped the clear ice with smooth pedal strokes. At $20 from Jenson, can't buy anything else.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Well, as you can see from the replies it still depends a lot on your local riding conditions and the type of riding you do. There are tires mentioned in this thread I would totally reject because of their (lack of) performance in my winter conditions.

Tires I would put on my general short list (of current tires) would include:
  • Spider
  • NBX 2.3
  • Bonty Big Earl 2.5
  • WTB TimberWolf 2.3/2.5
  • Schwalbe Albert 2.25
  • Michelin Mud (formerly XL S)
In the past I have run Storm Control 1.8 mud tires year-round, even for bone dry gravel roads.

I would probably pick the Spider for my local riding or for a road trip with unknown conditions. I could be mostly happy with any on my list.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Specialized Roll X. Primarily because it rolls fast enough for a comfortable racing tire and performs adequately on a lot of different terrains as an all around trail tire. Close second would be the Hutchinson Spider. I only didn't pick it as the first because its inadequate for racing since its fairly slow rolling.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Spider is an awful good tire

I ride Spiders in the summer and fall in the rocky, loomy, hard packed, and mushy trails where I live; however, in the winter, now, I ride Kenda Nevegals. They are a bit slow rolling in the summer and the knobs roll over a bit too much for me in the hard packed but they rule on wet rocks, roots, and loomy soil.

Jaybo

·
Registered
494 Posts
grawbass said:
Continental Competition Pro 1. Unfortunately no longer made. :(

Edit: I added a picture in case anyone has never seen one.
I have one under the house. I also have a set of Cross Country's under there. I agree, they were great tires. I still like Vert Pro 2.3 UST and Explorer Pro UST. The Nevegal 2.1 UST's have to be my current favorite for the varied conditions here in central NC, as well as PNF.
c

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
In the strange but WTF file I just put a maxxis hansventure 2.35 dual coumpound on the back and I'm going faster, not sure if its the tread or DH caseing letting me go 28 PSI with out a thought but its a blast, loads of grip run backwards and ramped knobs on both side one can't argue with flip flopping. DH rubbber, dual compound, love it unless the climb gets long... merry xmas!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.