Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Where would you move to and why? My wife and I are currently just so sick of Oklahoma we cant stand it. So seeing as how were young and shes never lived outside of OK, we've decided its time for a change of scenery before we end up permanently planted here. Right now a suburb of north Dallas, TX is leading the way but id like to see some other opinions. Any and all advice is appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Isn't Oklahoma Northern Texas? How about somewhere with mountains, or the ocean, or both. I'd suggest where I live but we have no more room. ;)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oklahoma is north Texas, except for it lacks everything that is good about north Texas. Theres a reason theres more people between the ages of 18-30 moving out of this state than into it. If you arent a rancher or an alcoholic, there isnt a damned thing to do.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,952 Posts
while some parts of Texas may well be worth my time, all I know about north Texas is that a lot of the schools are run like boot camps with overly strict dress codes and educational policies out of the middle ages (exaggerating...somewhat).

I +1 on anything with mountains. That leaves you with Appalachia or anything from NM west.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which is what exactly? :eek:ut: I'm not trying to be a dooch, I'm genuinely interested.
I lived in North Dallas from 6th grade until I graduated high school, so Im a bit biased. But the entire time I lived there, anything I wanted to do aside from snow sports was within reasonable driving distance. I really enjoyed the public school system to be honest and I feel like I recieved a good education. My wife on the other hand is struggling with college because they are wanting her to know things that the oklahoma public schools didnt even attempt to teach her. Meanwhile, these are things I can repeat/do in my sleep. The job market seems to be alot better there than here, I contribute that mostly to the major corporations that have setup shop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex over the last decade. And that should improve even more in the coming years with the light bulb ordeal in motion.

As far as the school system being run like a prison, there were very few things I encountered in school in which I felt was unreasonable. The dress code wasnt overly strict, the length of jeans was limited (basically they had to be short enough they didnt drag the ground, which is common sense if you dont want to fall on your face.), the lengths of skirts and shorts were limited (personally I dont think girls need to be walking around school with their asses hanging out anyways, take it as you will.) The content was only limited to things that were offensive, or could be easily construed as offensive (racial slurs, mature content, alcohol and tobacco brands, drug use, etc...).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fine by me, im not a big fan either. :) They are kinda fun to cruise paved trails on but I like my squishy mt bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is Hawaii in the Southern half of the states? I'd live there; can't beat the weather IMO. I mostly road ride when I visit the islands, but would love to explore the mountain biking options. Then instead of annual vacations to sun destinations i would take annual vacations to ski hills.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hawaii is out of the question right now, I have a few family members with severe medical conditions and we want to be close enough to travel if an emergency should occur. And with our current income (which im sure wont double simply by moving to Hawaii) we wouldnt be able to afford to come home much.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,952 Posts
sounds like you should get out a bit more. Yeah, TX has jobs, but they're low pay jobs. I hear the Pilgrim's chicken plant in Nacogdoches is hiring plenty right now (in fact, there are so many jobs that aren't being filled that they trucked in some refugees from Houston to fill some of them).

clothing dress codes don't bother me. it makes sense to put the kids in uniforms or at least make sure they're not wearing alcohol/tobacco logos, baring excessive skin, flashing underwear, or wearing gang associated stuff. what bothers me about the dress codes in some of the districts is the overly rigid interpretations. hair length limits for boys straight out of the '50's. when permitting jeans, restricting skinny jeans (while I don't like the way they look, I don't see how they are a problem when other jeans aren't a problem).

·
bust a move
1,978 Posts
NM, AZ west NC, GA, SC east

Florida is really nice during winters, but lack of mountians and 8 months of high heat and humidity make it near my bottom of the list

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.