Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you build up an older road bike or start fresh with new frame and components?

I for some reason decided to buy a set of wheels with the intent of buying a cheaper frame. I planned on buying a Mecier TT or Motobecane. Somewhere in the range of $200.

But as I searched craigslist I found a few older 10 speeds, one being a older Motobecane for $50.

This just makes me wonder what I should really do.

I plan making it a college commuter at the most. I have a set of nice wheels and $350 to work with.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
Pow06er said:
would you build up an older road bike or start fresh with new frame and components?

I for some reason decided to buy a set of wheels with the intent of buying a cheaper frame. I planned on buying a Mecier TT or Motobecane. Somewhere in the range of $200.

But as I searched craigslist I found a few older 10 speeds, one being a older Motobecane for $50.

This just makes me wonder what I should really do.

I plan making it a college commuter at the most. I have a set of nice wheels and $350 to work with.
Would buy my Haro Mary SS that I bought new and did a few small mods to dial the fit....bars, stem, grips, and saddle. Reversed rear tire for climbing and Captain 29x2.20 front tire cause the DTC Nevegals suck in hardpack and loose over hardpack.

EDIT: This is way over your $350 budget, but not overly expensive for what ya get. Check out Stout SE and Redline Monocog for more in your price range and still nice bikes.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
One of my favorite bikes my neighbor gave to me while she was cleaning her garage. Over the years I stripped off the beautiful original Shimano 600 group (only the headset is left) as I re-configured the bike again and again. Now it has two wheelsets; a commuter set and the "not race wheel" light weight tubular set.
So if yo can find an old bike with a decent frame, you might just need to re-dish the rear wheel, and buy a freewheel and you'll be golden (or buy a free/fixed rear wheel).

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Pow06er said:
what is so great about a ss mtb?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Have you bothered to look at the name of the forum you are posting on?

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way. The real question should be, what's so great about a SS road bike; they are really boring to ride unless you're riding mountains and even then I use a Flip (up) Flop (down) hub. The choice of new or used usually comes down to money. As my name implies I like old school frames and parts, but they are getting harder to fine and cost as much (or more) as new. The difference between new and used SS/fixie road bikes can be minimal, as they are still in demand. So you really have to decide how much energy you want to put into it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.