Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this won't probably be good for hubby (zen turtle) reputation.... but who cares??
Lately, my lil girls and I have been riding some around town, going to schools and parks. But i didn't like the idea of leaving my 'white unicorn' lying around, so i told hubby (sure that he would easly pick up the idea): why don't you find/build/steal/whatever a village bike that i can use without fear of losing it and you can have fun putting together...? smart eh? i thought so too....
That's how our Frankie bike came to life (he kind of recycled parts of old bikes mixed with trips to the lbs for some cheapo pieces).
BUT... my plans miserably failed! First, he starts commuting to work with Frankie (hence, i don't have the village bike to ride to the village!), then i leave for a trip home and he starts stealing pieces from the other bikes.... MY BIKE!!!
Last week we wanted to go the park with the bikes, and when i go to get mine, my pedals are gone!!!
I threatened to go to Performance and get the cheapest bike in the shop, no matter how bad it is, at least it has all the parts i need!
But honestly, what kind of threat is that, to someone who just can't wait to get a new bike??
That's how i got yesterday, for my birthday, a spanking new pink Townie Electra Cruiser!
Ok ok, is not a mountain bike, but it's sure comfortable to ride in town, especially with a WeeRide in front of me and a wiggly 3 years old girl in it!
Thanks hubby, and a word of advice to the other husbands... since you can't wait to buy bikes and bike parts anyway, open you ears and eyes, maybe there's someone around you asking for one!

This is us on the first ride on the cruiser!
 

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,084 Posts
ElastiGirl said:
Ok, this won't probably be good for hubby (zen turtle) reputation.... but who cares??
Lately, my lil girls and I have been riding some around town, going to schools and parks. But i didn't like the idea of leaving my 'white unicorn' lying around, so i told hubby (sure that he would easly pick up the idea): why don't you find/build/steal/whatever a village bike that i can use without fear of losing it and you can have fun putting together...? smart eh? i thought so too....
That's how our Frankie bike came to life (he kind of recycled parts of old bikes mixed with trips to the lbs for some cheapo pieces).
BUT... my plans miserably failed! First, he starts commuting to work with Frankie (hence, i don't have the village bike to ride to the village!), then i leave for a trip home and he starts stealing pieces from the other bikes.... MY BIKE!!!
Last week we wanted to go the park with the bikes, and when i go to get mine, my pedals are gone!!!
I threatened to go to Performance and get the cheapest bike in the shop, no matter how bad it is, at least it has all the parts i need!
But honestly, what kind of threat is that, to someone who just can't wait to get a new bike??
That's how i got yesterday, for my birthday, a spanking new pink Townie Electra Cruiser!
Ok ok, is not a mountain bike, but it's sure comfortable to ride in town, especially with a WeeRide in front of me and a wiggly 3 years old girl in it!
Thanks hubby, and a word of advice to the other husbands... since you can't wait to buy bikes and bike parts anyway, open you ears and eyes, maybe there's someone around you asking for one!

This is us on the first ride on the cruiser!
Yeah! Electra tonwnie with a child seat is a beautiful sight. That looks like a great Los Gatos Creek trail machine!

fc
 

·
Uncle
Joined
·
4,359 Posts
Wee-Ride recommendation taken

Dan'ger said:
Good for you! I love seeing kids in Wee-Ride (or iBert) seats, smiling along with their parents.
SOT: After seeing pictures of Dan and Maya on the trail, and after seeing some shots of Wee-Rides on the Flume, my buddy decided that they are indeed sturdy enough for his needs. He's loving it now, rollin' around Albany with his 17mo. old son. He's grateful for the recommendation.

BOT (back on topic): Nice ride indeed. I live for the day that the streets and canal trails are covered filled with folks commuting this way. Townie + Wee-Ride + Tag Along pedal trainer = the new minivan!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support!
I just wish we found out about weerides sooner... Gaia, the little bike buddy with me in the pic, is already 3 1/2 years old and won't fit in it much longer....
When will she be old enough for a tag along trainer...?
 

·
My spoon is too big!
Joined
·
881 Posts
OK, I have to know how you got the WeeRide to fit on your Electra. I tried to mount mine to my wife's Townie, but the bar came up short by a few inches. Did you have to modify anything to make it work? I may have to try it out again tonight.

Gotta love those WeeRides! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, we didn't need to modify anything.
I have to keep the handlebar on a low position (otherwise it bumps against the 'headrest' of the weeride), but that's pretty much it.
The weeride bar (the one that goes from the handlebar to the seatpost tho is not on level: the front (attached to the handlebar) is a little higher than the back (attached to the seatpost), due to the shape of the frame.
I don't know if there are different models/sizes for the townies...
 

·
Natural body armor
Joined
·
2,178 Posts
mbyard said:
OK, I have to know how you got the WeeRide to fit on your Electra. I tried to mount mine to my wife's Townie, but the bar came up short by a few inches. Did you have to modify anything to make it work? I may have to try it out again tonight.

Gotta love those WeeRides! :thumbsup:
I'm assuming you know the bar can be extended by loosening the 5mm allen bolt in the middle of the bar (the only bolt visible in the middle of the bar)
In our case is almost fully extended, maybe half an inch left. Unless is a different Townie and has a longer "top tube"

ZT
 

Attachments

·
My spoon is too big!
Joined
·
881 Posts
I don't know what's going on. The gap is not as big as I had remembered, but the bar is definitely too short. It misses by 3/4 inch. There must be a difference in frame size or bar length. I'm probably just going to add a new hole for the adjusting screw. I am determined to make it work now.
 

Attachments

·
Natural body armor
Joined
·
2,178 Posts
mbyard said:
I don't know what's going on. The gap is not as big as I had remembered, but the bar is definitely too short. It misses by 3/4 inch. There must be a difference in frame size or bar length. I'm probably just going to add a new hole for the adjusting screw. I am determined to make it work now.
If you clamp it a little bit higher on the seat post it should work.... maybe.
Just clamp it and tighten, will make the bike shorter :D

I'd definitely put another hole in the bar for the stop screw.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top