Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Praying for rain!
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. I know everyone's butt is different. However I figure if you are comfortable on your saddles maybe I can cross refference that to help me out, and maybe not buy 5 different saddles.
I have WTB speed v's on most of my Mountain bikes, but have a Selle Italia(unsure of model) on my road bike that is killing me.
If someone else is comfortable on a Speed V and also has a comfortable light road saddle let me know.
Thanks,
-B

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I use a Selle Italia Flite Titanium seat on my road bike...it was well used when I got it, and although it was "broken in" it still didnt give me the comfort I wanted for such long miles in the saddle. The cheap alternative I came up with was buying a Quintana Roo seat cover...it fits over the Selle perfectly and is not big and bulky either....just an option for ya

http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=quintana-roo-mr-flitie-saddle-cover

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't have the Speed V, but the Rocket V and ride on a Selle San Marco Composite for my road bike. I find the road saddle to be the more comfortable of the two. I've done 150 mile rides on it without the slightest hint of discomfort. Not exactly your same saddle, but maybe it will help.

Duc

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
kayakguy said:
O.k. I know everyone's butt is different. However I figure if you are comfortable on your saddles maybe I can cross refference that to help me out, and maybe not buy 5 different saddles.
I have WTB speed v's on most of my Mountain bikes, but have a Selle Italia(unsure of model) on my road bike that is killing me.
If someone else is comfortable on a Speed V and also has a comfortable light road saddle let me know.
Thanks,
-B
This is not directly answering your question, but I find I need different things from mountain and road saddles. On a mountain bike, I want something narrow that I can easily move around and scoot behind. I'm not actually in the saddle for long, and my possition is constantly shifting. On a road bike I am in the saddle far longer, and I'm not moving around much.

The difference really hit home on two occasions:

The first was when I went from a WTB SST saddle (wide, flat back) to a WTB Stealth V on the AM rig. The smaller saddle made tech moves much easier. Also very comfy on 20-30 mile trail rides. The SST spent years on my townie beater bike, and saw a few long road rides as well with no complaints from my toosh.

Then a few months ago I tool the AM rig (with the Stealth V) on a 22 mile rail-to-trails ride and my a$$ was KILLING me!

Moral of the story for me? Different saddles for road and mountain. Small and manuverable for mountain, wider and more comfy for road.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
If you're comfortable on the speed v, you might look at the Specialized Alias 155. I have the Pure V on my mtb and the Alias 155 on my road bike. I'm still fussing with seat position but the seat is getting more and more comfortable as I find the sweet spot. I haven't been on my road bike much lately due to weather.

If you do go with a Specialized BG seat, find a bike shop that has the ass-o-meter, which measures your sit bones and matches you to the proper width seat. You may find that the specialized alias 155 is too big for you and the ass-o-meter would sort that out ;).

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Why Not Just Get Another Speed V?

I run the same saddle on every bike I ride...road, MTB, 'cross, BMX, tandem...

Your body and the saddle will both conform to each other. If you've spent a lot of time actually sitting on the Speed V you may not be able to find another saddle that is comfortable until you log a few thousand miles and get used to it.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
I ride Rocket V saddles on all my mtn bikes.

I use a Rocket V on my long-distance road bike.

I use a Perfromance Forte Pro SLX on my shorter distance/climbing road bike.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
I ride a speed V on my FS bike, adn Brooks professional on my single speed mountain bikes. The WTB is good, adn allows movement and padding, but I really prefer the Brooks overall. That said, I have a WTB SST 2k on my road bike and I love it. Flat and wide in the back gives good support when climbing, and the narrower nose means I can still feel my junk when I get done riding. If a saddle makes you numb at all, get rid of it fast. Plenty of roadies have done permanent damage to the circulation in their privates by putting in long miles with pressure on the plumbing.

·
Praying for rain!
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great replys. I know I could use my mountain saddle, but it is a little heavy. I am not a complete weight weenie, but I don't really want a twenty pound bike either. While we are at it do you guys ride really aggressive road bikes or more relaxed geometry. I have a Cannondale r900, I suppose that it is more race oriented, I am thinking of switching.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Speed V on my mtb and Selle Italia Trans--Am on both my fixie and road bike. IMHO road and mtb saddles have different requirements. I could never ride on the road with the amount of padding on my mountain bike saddle. For me, minimal padding on road, moderate padding on the mtb. As always with saddles, you need to figure it out yourself because everyones A$$ is different.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
kayakguy said:
Thanks for all the great replys. I know I could use my mountain saddle, but it is a little heavy. I am not a complete weight weenie, but I don't really want a twenty pound bike either. While we are at it do you guys ride really aggressive road bikes or more relaxed geometry. I have a Cannondale r900, I suppose that it is more race oriented, I am thinking of switching.
I have an R2000 Cannondale myself....its a climber in my opinion...definately not one for long rides...but for an aluminum frame it is "supposed" to have a decent ride quality (havent ridden much else in road bikes, so i have no comparison).

·
Praying for rain!
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just reply to a few comment/suggestions... I figured if some one is comfortable on a mountain saddle that I am comfortable on, then pehaps our sitbones are similar and therefore might be comparable.

I really don't want a mountain saddle due to weight and I feel that the designs are really for two different purposes.

I don't have a decent shop within 3 hours of me. So unfortunately no demo's are available. Yes, I live in the boondocks.

Thanks for all of the comments, It is nice to have some help once in awhile when you are in a virtual cyclist desert.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Put the speed v on the roadie for a few rides and see if you like it. If you do. get the ti railed version for weight reduction.

also check out the bontrager race lite lux saddle they have a bit of width on the back and can be had fairly cheap on ebay.

I have the specialized bg 155. I really like it except the nose is a wide as well as the back. A bit thinner nose and it would be great for me.

Greg

·
um... yeah
136 Posts
The SS Boz said:
I have an R2000 Cannondale myself....its a climber in my opinion...definately not one for long rides...but for an aluminum frame it is "supposed" to have a decent ride quality (havent ridden much else in road bikes, so i have no comparison).
I have a Cannondale CAAD8 too. The bike is a missile, but I wouldn't ever say it has a comfy ride. It does what it's meant to do: be stiff, light and fast, but it's one of the most unforgiving frames out there.

Oh yeah, seats. I tossed my stock mtn bike seat. Road bike saddles offer more seating positions.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
kayakguy said:
Ah, at last saddle question that makes sense and not another boring "what saddle will be good for me" thread!

I ride a WTB Laser V (similar to a Speed V, but a tad wider?) and used to ride a Selle Italia Flite. The Laser V is fine, the Flite killed me.

I replaced the Flite on my commuter with a Brooks B17 Narrow. Heavy, but comfortable. I've also had good experiences with several narrow generic saddles with the same footprint as the Flite, but without the convex lateral curve along the top. It was that curvature that made the Flite so unpleasant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.