Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a frame.
Anybody have any experience with one? Thoughts, heard anything?

I have an 04 s-works epic I'm keeping. Have another bike I'll be selling the frame and want to move the parts to something else. Was going to get a more squishy full suspension but most what I'd get are all disc specific, but I don't have disc wheels or brakes to move over. I have a titanium road bike. Thinking a steel hard tail will give me something totally different than the epic. Which is afterall, only firm when it's flat anyway, ANY other bumps I'm riding full suspension.

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
There is a thread on the general or passion board about steel frame builders as there are many besides IF (there is nothing wrong with them, they build great bikes). You might want to check this out to expand your choices as different builders use different geometries. I will throw out my vote for a Titus Riddler. I bought one about a month ago and you wouldn't believe it is aluminium if you didn't know it. It is also a bit cheaper than the IF frames.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I have an IF steel Deluxe

I had the frame built with some custom sizing and am very happy with it. The bike is extremely nimble and a great climber. I also have an FS (5 x 4.5) but rather like the ride of the steel hardtail better. I enjoy being forced to pick my lines and get my butt out of the seat for any extra suspension I need.

I can't really tell you that you will love the bike. That is so objective. I can only say that into my third season on the bike I have no regrets and would be willing to pay the price for a custom steel Deluxe for my wife if she wanted one. Being willing to put up the money again is the recommendation I can give.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts