Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to thank everyone for their replies and pms on my question. The winner is...

Seven!

This really came down to a matter of bike shop. The Seven dealer was friendly,open, informative and most of all, as interested in what I wanted as he was in tellling me about Seven's product and how it would meet my needs. The IF dealer was condescending and spent as much time bashing the Serotta road bike I already own (despite the fact he has never seen it) than selling me on why he and IF would be a great partner in making my bike. I guess that is it in a nut shell; with my LBS and Seven I feel as if I have signed on with a team to build the project, with me as the team leader. I like that.

This is in no way is an indictment on IF. In fact, the Seven dealer told me IF is a top notch company and would build a great bike for me as well. I like the honesty.

My next thought to ponder..steel or Ti??? It is about a $600 dollar difference, but I may have to go with a White Bros. fork for more height, which may take it above my ever increasing budget. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Personal opinion...

I just had a custom frame built and debated the same question. I'm probably not going to have another custom frame built for many years (if ever) and in light of this I treated this frame as a long-term investment. Titanium made sense to me when I looked at it from that perspective. Of course, I was looking for a way to justify getting a titanium frame too :D

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
A good LBS should really make this a great experince, wise choice!

Do you need a tall front? Then why White Brothers? Referring to the 130mm fork they offer? Reba's are just as tall as WB's, a bit longer even, comparing 80mm and 100mm models.
It's custom, you can get the front end as high as you want? Not sure I understand your needs here...

I'm not a custom expert, but it seems to me seven's expertise lies especially with Ti.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sounds like the wrong reason to chose one co. over another. The shop is only the middle man. If you really want an IF, go straight to them with your questions. I ordered mine thru a LBS, but called directly anytime I had a question. Basically, the only thing the shop is for is submitting/closing the order since IF is not a direct company. The shop with the a-hole manager will get a little $$ out of it, but who cares if the IF is what you really want.

·
Registered
257 Posts
shops

I agree they are so close in quality it's a crap shoot as far as I'm concerned between the two companies HOWEVER the shop is who you have to deal with. So if they start off on a bad note then you should just take your business elsewhwere...currently going through a similar situation and it's all about them and what you need.. instead of helping you get what you want. :skep:

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
I agree with your decision based on your LBS experience. You have to do what feels right to you and it sounds like the shop you chose would spend a lot more time listening to you and getting it right, as opposed to tell you what you need.

There's certainly nothing wrong with steel, but if you can swing ti...

As for the front end, you could get a sus. corrected rigid fork and a taller head tube, if that's what's needed. Then, you could swing the sus. fork down the road when you can afford it. If that's all it would take to be able to do the Ti, I'd go that route.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
HUGH said:
If you are tight on money you should wait a while. Save for a bit longer and go Ti. I have a Ti Seven and it is saweet!! It's worth the wait!!

HUGH
:)
Ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti ti

If you are going to spend that much money, then you need to do Ti. My rule is if the budget for the frame is cheap, I go to Curtlo and get steel. If I am going boutique or a primium builder then why in the heck not go all the way with ti? I guess what I am saying is there is no freaking way I would spend $1400 for steel. Totally out of the question, that is coming from a guy with 3 steel frames. But I am sure whatever seven you get will ride great.

·
Registered
236 Posts
brewdog said:
Sounds like the wrong reason to chose one co. over another. The shop is only the middle man. If you really want an IF, go straight to them with your questions. I ordered mine thru a LBS, but called directly anytime I had a question. Basically, the only thing the shop is for is submitting/closing the order since IF is not a direct company. The shop with the a-hole manager will get a little $$ out of it, but who cares if the IF is what you really want.
i have to agree with brewdog. i have one seven and one IF, the experience with IF was far superior. i changed my mind on a weekly basis and was able to call up matt and talk to him about it and get feed back directly from the guy building my bike. they even stopped the fab process when i again asked for a small change. when i worked with seven you get a phone call to discuss your riding style and a few other specific questions. my efforts to contact them directly were difficult, when i made a change it slowed the process down a few weeks (they like you to go through the shops.... ie lots of middlemen) and the desire to get the bike held me back from making one other change that i now regret not making. both are great bikes and see lots of use. if you need a good shop to hold your hand i doubt you'll be disappointed with the seven, if your a neurotic control freak who likes to change your mind on a regular basis look no further than IF and have matt b guide you through it.

good luck

e

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have spoken to Seven over the phone and they specifically told me when the bike is in production to call direct as opposed to feeling a need of going through the shop. I certainly do not need anyone to hold my hand, but I am not a neurotic unable to decide things either.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Law and Turner...Thanks. My wife and I were actually just saying the same thing. It is not as if I am a guy who buys a new bike every few years. I am heavily leaning toward ti.

TurnerConvert said:
I just had a custom frame built and debated the same question. I'm probably not going to have another custom frame built for many years (if ever) and in light of this I treated this frame as a long-term investment. Titanium made sense to me when I looked at it from that perspective. Of course, I was looking for a way to justify getting a titanium frame too :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hate to pile on late but, here's my 2cents. In my experience with LBS you should know exactly what you want in terms of custom geometry regardless of IF vs. Seven. Be open to suggestions from the builder but, you should know what works for you for geometry. My LBS is a helpful, nice guy too but, based on his fitting numbers, I would have ended up with something wrong. It takes alot of experience to fit someone properly. I designed my IF Ti deluxe on CAD based off what I wanted and my previous bike myself. What Matt B. came back with from my body measurements, bike #'s, wants was exactly the same as my design. I guess what I'm getting at is what others have said is that the LBS is just the middle man - work directly with the company yourself and just use the LBS to take your body #'s and fill out the form.

I don't have experience with Seven but, my experience with IF has been excellent. I have a Ti deluxe geared 26'r. My steel IF, SS, 29'r is about 3 weeks away from IF right now. As far as Ti vs. steel: I've found the cost diff (at least at IF) to be more in the $1k to $1.2k range. (excluding paint upgrades). If I were to pick steel I'd give the nod to IF and they're paint. Have you seen the shot - peended finish IF has on they're Ti? If you were going for Ti you should consider the which finish you like better the peened IF look or brushed finish of Seven. It's personal preferance but, I love the peened look on my IF. It looks almost gold when dusty and in bright light looks almost white - the range and depth of color is pretty unique. I do however still like my brushed finish of my Ti Merlin roadbike too but, the peened looks better on MTB (IMHO).

Of course, you can ask Matt B. how far away stainless steel for MTB is away too. Last reports were mid - late summer. As light and strong as Ti (a litlle bit less $), corrosion proof, painted or bright finish..........

Good luck!

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
one1spede said:
There it is! Congrats on getting over that hurdle. I'm sure you'll be very happy. And then some.
Ditto

Even if you had decided on a third brand you've based your decision on somethng that most of us can understand... peace of mind. Picking a shop that nurtures your decison is a rare find. Cherish it, and most of all, enjoy the bike when you get it built!

·
Registered
186 Posts
VACowboy said:
Thanks, but after looking at both, I am going with Seven, and it will be Ti!
YEAH! I am very stoked to hear that.

I just decided to go from the Verve to the Sola biased off the theory that I will have this frame for a wile.

What kind of a time line did they tell you?

Did you use the custom sizing system or buy a stock size?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flooredsubaru said:
YEAH! I am very stoked to hear that.

I just decided to go from the Verve to the Sola biased off the theory that I will have this frame for a wile.

What kind of a time line did they tell you?

Did you use the custom sizing system or buy a stock size?
It will be a custom Verve for sure. We are using the Seven custom system initially and when the CAD drawing comes in, my LBS will set up a Serotta fit cycle to its exact dimensions. Any suggestions or changes to the design will go back to Seven until we have it dialed in perfect. After that, four weeks I was told for the build.

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
VACowboy said:
It will be a custom Verve for sure. We are using the Seven custom system initially and when the CAD drawing comes in, my LBS will set up a Serotta fit cycle to its exact dimensions. Any suggestions or changes to the design will go back to Seven until we have it dialed in perfect. After that, four weeks I was told for the build.
You will be happy with the Verve. The sola is a little lighter due to the butted tubing, but you will never know the difference on the trail. My first Dean was butted and the second was not. I can't feel the .4 lbs difference at all and the second rode better anyway without all the flex that came from tubing too light for me. Also, I have seen the shot peen IF ti frames, a buddy has one. I will take the brushed finish any day, even though I understand the benefits of shot peening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Law said:
You will be happy with the Verve. The sola is a little lighter due to the butted tubing, but you will never know the difference on the trail. My first Dean was butted and the second was not. I can't feel the .4 lbs difference at all and the second rode better anyway without all the flex that came from tubing too light for me. Also, I have seen the shot peen IF ti frames, a buddy has one. I will take the brushed finish any day, even though I understand the benefits of shot peening.
Thanks, I am pretty psyched about the bike and very happy with my decision!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.