Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today that is the only main thing that keeps me from ridding my Flux, I think I'll still have to wait for 3 more weeks! For sure it could have been done quicker had I followed other options:

a) Dt Swiss4.1 + Hope bulbs + Abel
b) Dt Swiss4.1 + Hope bulbs + hanbuilt in the US
c) Mavic Cossmax SL
d) Dt. Swiss4.1 + king
e) Also considered I9 wheels

After making some numbers and considering the type of rider I am option c and b were discarded, option e while expensive was doable, in the end I was just too scared to break such an expensive set of wheels, so the logic said Abel was The Option... Then I realised that by adding a few (in a relative way) bucks I could get with the kings and DT Swiss; so without giving more thought I went for the Kings... From the color of my headset and spacers I think they will look nice and from the other people reports I think I got a good set of wheels, but wow, are this guys taking their time to build them! I'm bringing them to Mexico via The Half Trained Unicycling Monkeys, I convinced them by telling them that "it's only downhill from there".
In the end I didn't exceeded the budget even with the kings, in fact I still ended spending less than expected. It was trying and fun at times, as when a box with the R.D. stem, chain, shifters and headset was reported MIA... or like when I wen't to install said headset only to find at the shop that I had lost it! In the end everythig has turned fine, so here I am waitting for the furballs to bring my wheels...
Today I'm going ridding after work, maybe to the tiring macan or the somewhat gnarly sierra morelos, tomorrow I plan to try those big apple tires in chapul, anything that keeps me from looking at my new frame and thinking: If I only had wheels...
Have a nice weekend!

El Rivas
ps. for those still awake, who services king hubs in D.F.?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Dude, nice set of wheels.. Warp must be burning in envy ..j/k

You´ll see the waiting is gonna be worthwhile:thumbsup: .

BTW.. Arivas, did you get my contact info at your prodigy account, let me know

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if I'm not gona be the fastest at least my bike will look cool! ;) I
received your e-mail and shoot you a reply, did it went through? Sometimes my messages get filtered, I think it has to do with the way I connect to the web, any way let me know!

El Rivas

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Yeah... I'm flaming in envy!!!:thumbsup:

Good for you Antonio... I guess the only person that I know that services King hubs, left to New Orleans... that's good ole Tigerdog!

It's fairly simple... just two allen wrenches and the special king lube. just pray for your hubs not to have failing bearings or you'll need the special King Toolset that runs for 180 bucks and I don't think anyone would have on this side on the Rio Bravo.

I'm getting a pair of cheapo Hope Bulb/XC combo. I'm almost set on Alex FD28 rims and Competition spokes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking of getting at least the adjusting cone tool ($25 USD) maybe I'll get the bearing tool for December... In the plans are also a workstand (ultimate) and also some items to service the Hope brakes, already have a torque wrench.
Is the "failing bearings issue" something that the builder can detect? I can phone to ask them to check...
If you still need the tornero I know a cople of guys that can make a good job.
El Rivas

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
arivas said:
I'm thinking of getting at least the adjusting cone tool ($25 USD) maybe I'll get the bearing tool for December... In the plans are also a workstand (ultimate) and also some items to service the Hope brakes, already have a torque wrench.
Is the "failing bearings issue" something that the builder can detect? I can phone to ask them to check...
If you still need the tornero I know a cople of guys that can make a good job.
El Rivas
That'd be more than enough... on the Turner forum I read that the cone tool is not really necessary, but is always good to have the right tool for the right job.

No, the bearings can't be detected by the builder. Most of the bearings failing out on Kings are because of excessive spoke tension that makes the hub shell to open up and let the bering come slightly off their housing. King gives specific tension values that must be followed. I'd get them buitl by someone reputable like Competitive Cyclist, Larry Mettler, Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com) or Chad from redbarbicycles.com

Otherwise, the King bearings may have lots of drag... but they're the best out there. Period. Hopes, Hadleys, Hugis don't come even close.

Kings are very high quality and extremely durable items... but it's like running an US jet fighter engine.... everything has to be perfect at installation, or they'll be an expensive piece of junk. If everything is done right at the beginning, you'll have a lifetime (literally) of joy with your Kings.

Get them right the first time.

Lemme know on the torno guy... I want to get faced a couple bits.

BTW.... kings don't like XT cassettes... you need an spacer of 0.3mm (check out speedgoat)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
arivas said:
Well if I'm not gona be the fastest at least my bike will look cool! ;) I
received your e-mail and shoot you a reply, did it went through? Sometimes my messages get filtered, I think it has to do with the way I connect to the web, any way let me know!

El Rivas
Nop, I didn´t get it. Don't worry though; I am assuming we´ll meet at my place at 8.15 Sunday morning. Any changes of plans, please gimme a call; I´ll do the same. You have my cel phone number in the email.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I added the cone tool... Although I've also read that it was not really necesary, but if it reduces my chances screwing those hubs I'll be more than happy.
I'm using an SRAM cassette (11-34), I also read something about the spacer issue, I was tempted to get an XTR and an acera 11 thoth sprocket but the SRAM one was cheaper and an XTR maybe won't last long.
My wheels are built by the speedgoat guys, what cut the deal was the free shipping within the US and no taxes... :D so long they seem to provide good service and fair price, we'll see how thins go. It seems my wheels are shipping next week...!
I'll talk with the torno guy today if you wish you can PM me the description of the job.

El Rivas

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
arivas said:
Well I added the cone tool... Although I've also read that it was not really necesary, but if it reduces my chances screwing those hubs I'll be more than happy.
I'm using an SRAM cassette (11-34), I also read something about the spacer issue, I was tempted to get an XTR and an acera 11 thoth sprocket but the SRAM one was cheaper and an XTR maybe won't last long.
My wheels are built by the speedgoat guys, what cut the deal was the free shipping within the US and no taxes... :D so long they seem to provide good service and fair price, we'll see how thins go. It seems my wheels are shipping next week...!
I'll talk with the torno guy today if you wish you can PM me the description of the job.

El Rivas
Speedgoat?
Then you'll be fine!
They build terrific wheels (or so I've read) and bikes.

Roberto's Motolite came just perfect from them as proof of concept.

On the torno stuff...

- Carear dado de 21mm (tiene un bisel de approx 1/8" y hay que eliminarlo)
- Rebajar diametro de un dado de 12mm, de 15mm OD a 14.3mm OD

Both works are like 10 min job on a lathe.

·
karmacoma
635 Posts
I had to stare at my frame for a week and a half before i got to ride my flux... i know the feeling man, and cant imagine holding out as long as u have to hop on her and let her rip!
now, let me just confirm what others must already have said... ure gonna loooooove the flux! just hold on a bit longer, that wheelset sounds real blingylicious, so its gonna be worth the wait

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
triphop said:
I had to stare at my frame for a week and a half before i got to ride my flux... i know the feeling man, and cant imagine holding out as long as u have to hop on her and let her rip!
Yeah... it's like watching a nude girl while you have your hands tied.... :D

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
arivas said:
Agree, but lack of reach to interact just makes things more... mmm... well you know...! Or if you don´t know someday just try...:rolleyes: enough said.

El Rivas
Again, you can interact without hands, it just makes it intresting.... but I guess we're starting to dwelve into some materials not apt for all public ;)

have fun!

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Again, you can interact without hands, it just makes it intresting.... but I guess we're starting to dwelve into some materials not apt for all public ;)

have fun!
Yeah....whats wrong with you guys?? We are still underage! :nono: :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.