Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
UF Engineering Slave
370 Posts
Mountain biking is like dancing. The bike is your partner and the trail is the song.

But road riding isn't. if road riding was like dancing, the song would be a single beat that went on forever, and the only way to dance to it would be to tap your foot over and over and over and over. There is no melody, no flow, just cadence.

·
Off the back...
2,304 Posts
HandyMan said:
Mountain biking is like dancing. The bike is your partner and the trail is the song.

But road riding isn't. if road riding was like dancing, the song would be a single beat that went on forever, and the only way to dance to it would be to tap your foot over and over and over and over. There is no melody, no flow, just cadence.
I think you have inadvertently described a 10K pursuit. My road rides begin with an upbeat intro of hip-hop, then move into a symphony of strings. Soon comes a thundering double-bass onslaught before the screaming guitar descent, ending with some old-school country on the way back in. In contrast, my dirt rides are punk [mostly NOFX] combined with zippy electronica. I dance to all of it, sometimes with grace, sometimes without.

·
iheartMTNs
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good stuff FloridaFish :thumbsup: There were some pretty funny replies over at RBR (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=158240) here it just seemed to upset the wards (would have thought that would of been the other way round).

I admire all types of riding, road and mtb just happen to be my favorites so...
But the op was more a commentary on attitude towards riding then it was about skills. As a roadie of many moons myself it seems to me that the reputation of sometimes being a little bit uptight is somewhat deserved. Oh well, they didn't "get it" over there either :skep:

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
eraSSerhead said:
Good stuff FloridaFish :thumbsup: There were some pretty funny replies over at RBR (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=158240) here it just seemed to upset the wards (would have thought that would of been the other way round).

I admire all types of riding, road and mtb just happen to be my favorites so...
But the op was more a commentary on attitude towards riding then it was about skills. As a roadie of many moons myself it seems to me that the reputation of sometimes being a little bit uptight is somewhat deserved. Oh well, they didn't "get it" over there either :skep:
yeah, the more I ride on the road the more I understand the stereotype. Although I have to admit that I don't smile too much when I'm on the road, not much fun in pure pedaling (it's all flat down here).

edit: gowen's post on rdr made me chuckle :thumbsup:

·
climber
111 Posts
My mountain bike needed repairs yesterday. So I jumped on my road bike and got to do this descent for my climbing efforts.

Found some footage of the descent on youTube.

One of my favorite roads in LA. next time I'll try and get first hand footage for you.

·
iheartMTNs
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"So I jumped on my road bike and got to do this descent for my climbing efforts"

Nice. Glendora Mountain Rd + Mt. Baldy is one of my favorite road rides down in your neck of the world.

Never ran into carrot top on any of my road rides down there though:bluefrown:

·
iheartMTNs
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bob Goatse said:
Dancing about cycling is like writing about music.
Hmm dunno, maybe so. But as long as we're being serious...me thinks a good session on a good trail maybe gets close to the feeling of dance:

(You'll wanna turn up the volume on these if your into it)

(the sound on this one's not so great unfortunately)

...just in case ya wanted to know how I really feel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.