Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know the rest.

Thought I hit it right on the head, got freakin' lucky. But, dang...

Running a SS on verts... 40 in the front/18 in da back - street use, I am not that hardcore.

And the chain matches up perfectly! HOORAY!

But - it matches up with two females... not a male and a female.

Am I arsed out?

Any solution?

Not that big of a deal, since I have an ENO on the way... but, ya know.

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
Just put it together with what you have and go ride it around. If your chainline is good and your ring and cog have decent teeth, that chain's not gonna fall off without some heavy lateral force. You ride on the streets, not some babyhead-strewn downhill that you have to take at > 20 mph.

Ride, try it out, see what you think. Order the half link, but don't let it stop you pedaling while you wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
truman said:
Just put it together with what you have and go ride it around. If your chainline is good and your ring and cog have decent teeth, that chain's not gonna fall off without some heavy lateral force.
No, don't. If it's a half-link too long it will fall off before you get 5 blocks regardless of chainline. I've tried. That is a really loose chain.

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
h8r said:
No, don't. If it's a half-link too long it will fall off before you get 5 blocks regardless of chainline. I've tried. That is a really loose chain.
Mine never did. Never.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One extra link will be too much I think...
Even a half link will have it a little loose...

But, it's get a half link for now while I wait for the ENO wheel.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
1. I wouldn't ride it half a link too long - I've had them fall off numerous times - and only when least convenient - when you're hauling ass into a rocky climb. It happens because you've dropped the tension on the top half of the chain.

2. I've actually gone through the work of putting together an accurate Excel spreadsheet to help calculate the "magic gear" on vertical dropouts. I'll email it to you.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
way off

truman said:
Just put it together with what you have and go ride it around. If your chainline is good and your ring and cog have decent teeth, that chain's not gonna fall off without some heavy lateral force. You ride on the streets, not some babyhead-strewn downhill that you have to take at > 20 mph.

Ride, try it out, see what you think. Order the half link, but don't let it stop you pedaling while you wait.
A half-link off means a 2 inch dip in the chain, the lateral force of cornering is enough to lose the chain. :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts