Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently read some great quotes on this site like:

If I don,t hit a pedal every lap, my BB is too high.

Or Cloxkies: In cross, if I don,t hit the rim a few times a lap, my tire pressure is too high.

Always liked the French construction principle: If it doesn,t break , its too heavy. If it broke, it was too light. (great for forks!)

Anybody has more of those?

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
mvi said:
Have recently read some great quotes on this site like:

If I don,t hit a pedal every lap, my BB is too high.

Or Cloxkies: In cross, if I don,t hit the rim a few times a lap, my tire pressure is too high.

Always liked the French construction principle: If it doesn,t break , its too heavy. If it broke, it was too light. (great for forks!)

Anybody has more of those?
If you like French engineering, in have one from the chief engineer of the Renault Formula1 team : "the best race car is the one that completely falls appart just after it crosses the finish line"

Julien Absalon kind of have this spirit also, because for the XC worlds in lugano, he rode proto light(-150g) mavic xmaxSL whells, with light michelin ust tires without any puncture prevention liquid inside (and flat once, by the way).

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Cloxxki said:
LOL, the ideal tire is so light that it flats halfway a World Championship race? ;-)
yep, that's a consequence of stupid UCI rules. Now there are two pit stops where you can have your whells changed. He flatted just before one of the pits, and just exchanged his whell before going again.
We are far from the original spirit of mtb, where riders would be completely on their own to fix mechanical problems.

Another one:
"if you did not bottom out your suspension at least once in the ride, then it was setup to stiff".

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crank length

Slightly different but: Increase your crank lenght until you can not get over the top smoothly, than use the length under that.
(I don,t agree with that one since I can spin 180,s , but still prefer 175 mm,s at > 6'4".

BTW I wonder how wide the new Stans velcro's will run. Would love to try those at low pressure in a cross race (non UCI).

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The 26" proto's I saw were around 46-48mm I'd say. Tread didn't look like something I'd use for anything but dry conditions, where they just might roll faster than anything previously called a mountainbike tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.