Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

If I were to move to the Brunswick area...

5K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  likeaboss 
#1 ·
There is a possibility I'll be moving to the Brunswick are this fall. I'd be grateful if anyone on here could give me some suggestions for places to ride, places to live, and/or places/neighboorhoods to live in that put me as close as possible to great riding. I've done a little bit in Maine over the years but not enough to know what I don't know. I'm unaware of any decent elevation in the Brunswick area, but again I really haven't explored much, we are usually doing family stuff while we are up there. My wife is from Maine and has been longing to be closer to her family, and I don't blame her. I love the state, but have mostly just been up the the Livermore, Monmouth, and Gardiner areas. I've done some road riding in Brunswick but nothing on the trails. I've noticed Bradbury Mountain when we get off the highway but just haven't had a chance to get in there and poke around.

Any advice or input would be welcomed. Thanks!

#4 ·
There is great riding a little more west and south of Brunswick. Moving to an area that is NW of Portland like N Yarmouth, Durham, Gray or New Gloucester will still keep you near Brunswick and put you in the center(less than an hour) to the following trails: Gorham, Blackstrap, South Portland, Winnick, Knights Pond, Bradbury(great trails with some roots but awesome in the winter), Bath, Topsham, Mt. Apetite, Range Pond. Then you are also about an hours from Augusta area trails and within 2 hours of Carabassett. Private message me if you want to chat live. We live in New Gloucester and can point you to good places to live and play.

#2 ·
Bath Cycle will hook you up with the best of the best in that area. go on some shop rides
yeah...not as much elevation as some places... but punishing

Bradbury is OK, a root fest. Connectors to Bradbury and surrounding trails is where it's at.

Reactions: 02Slayer
#3 ·
Bradbury is fun but you can run out of trails pretty quick. Pineland farms has some trails but they are better suited to a cyclocross bike, or a fat bike during the winter. Last time I was up there, the shop guys at beans told me about blackstrap and Neptune woods, but I haven’t tried either one yet. I also sometimes see bikes at mt apatite, but having hiked there I can’t really see the appeal.
When you do ride Bradbury, get ready to walk if you do the o-trail, holy **** that was a rooty tech fest, almost impossible (for me) on a humid summer morning where all the roots and rocks are like ice skates.

#5 ·
Thanks for suggestions! I'll have to check those places out, and pop into Bath Cycle. I'm psyched to hear there is a shop nearby with group rides. I work part-time at a shop here on the Cape and our weekly rides are something I really look forward to, we are fortunate to have quite a few strong riders who are also great people. I like having days or nights each week to look forward to when I know there will be some fun riding, and hanging out with friends too.

Coincidently, my wife has actually mentioned Bath as a place we mind find some decent housing.

#26 ·
Bradbury East side is a good place to go. FYI, Brabury has an entrance fee. I think it is $4. I buy a season state park pass. About $100. Good at Range Pond which also has good trails.

Topsham ponds is another good place to check out for winter riding. Less vertical than Bradbury(not much here also) but still fun. Trailhead is at the Topsham transfer station. Use Trailforks to get around.

#27 ·
likeaboss - I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

I'm heading out of town tomorrow to visit some family but I'll be back next week. If anyone following this thread is interested in meeting up for a ride feel free to PM me and we can work something out.

Cheers

#28 ·
Had a great time riding Bradbury. Had a really friendly local show me around, and studs are definitely in my future. I did pretty well, but there were a couple spills and quite a few super sketchy moments. All in all. I had a blast.

Ecoregion Map World Slope Atlas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.