Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... what's goin to happen ?

I'm coming up to birthday 58 this fall, never been a hardcore mtb rider, no big air, big thrills or drops etc.... been riding for 30 some years.
My rides I still have;
are a 91 HardRock rigid 26'r
2002 Kona alum Hardtail 26'r and
2017 Marin Pine One h/t 27'5 x 3.0 (plus)

These bikes are all in the range of 30# and now this Diamondback OD Carbon Pro listed at something under $1550 and a weight of under 25 has me really tempted. I don't need another bike but am wondering if my curiosity willing me to go test ride a 24 or 25 lb bike will be my undoing.
I'm not too crazy about sram and this bike appears to not have the internal options for dropper post.

Q's
- Is any 25 # cf bike going to give me a feel and idea on the trails if I go ride one for a day?
-Not in a hurry so will I continue to find opportunity's for 1500 range bikes in that weight range in the future?
-Is this a no brainer good deal for what I think I want?

I truly expect I'll wait another season or year before doing anything IF I do buy another bike.

·
Cycologist
10,333 Posts
Interesting but 71 degree head tube angle? Are racers still going that steep? I don't think my '05 XC race bike is quite that steep.

And Amazon lists it as 27 lbs, where did you see 25?

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,825 Posts
Agreed, geometry trumps weight IMO. Instead of buying another XC hardtail I'd encourage you to consider something with more modern geometry.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I doubt it will be your undoing.

The feeling you get this week from riding a lighter bike will be all but forgotten next year when you considering buying a bike again. ;)

Go ride it. Enjoy it. Then start over in mid-2020.

You haven't really described what you want the bike for, aside from weight. However, you've already selected the bike so I assume it meets your needs for what/how you ride.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses !

chaz- I'll go looking again to see where the 24.5 or 25 # got planted in my noggin. I'm guessing the outdate geo is why it was listed at a price well below it's original.

OS. and Forest Rider -
For some reason, the price point seemed reachable enough for me to even consider another bike when I otherwise wouldn't and I guess it was that and timing of me starting to think or question my bikes that are in the vicinity of 30 #. My brain was playing a soundtrack mostly of "lighter bike, easier up's, more nimble and faster turning and responses etc.... " Hell, I'm not even a fast rider or want for speed demon but it's still in the back of my brain, these other benefits.
Thus my title is really just me sharing my fear of test riding a lightweight bike to see if it rocks my world. Fear that I might H A V E to buy one after a test ride.

Reality is I don't want to find the money, excuse, reason to buy one right away. I'll probably wait a year and see what's going on then for a similar 'deal'. I've proven to myself I can tease the shopping thinking and researching stuff for years before actually pulling the trigger so it's likely I'll find something to test or rent soon just to feed the info appetite.

OH, btw- if you think of anything in the range of 24 -25 lbs and $1500 as considerations,,, pass it along to me. I'm not finnicky about any particular brand but the DB has Sram and I kind of have warm fuzz for Shimano. Are these brands of component pretty equal if in the given price point range ?

·
Cycologist
10,333 Posts
Bachman, I later found someone in the reviews saying that Jensen listed it as 25 (or maybe it was 24.5) on the build list they received with the bike.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bachman, I later found someone in the reviews saying that Jensen listed it as 25 (or maybe it was 24.5) on the build list they received with the bike.
Okay, TY. I know geo is a sticking point with many. I may be more forgiving and an economy slut looking for a deal or good buy. No hurries tho. Thnx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.