Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Golden Bears United
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, it's time for new front tire for my rigid singlespeed.

I had 2.3 Pythons, and just converted the rear to ghetto tubeless with Stan's sealant. It took almost no effort, and held air even without sealant & hand pump. Since it had been set up with sealant, the wheel lost only about 3 psi in the past 3 days.

But the same cannot be said for my front tire. I guess a number of flats during the tubes days caused cracks/slits on the flexible sidewall such that it would not hold air in tubeless incarnation, even with sealant and compressor. The conversion was a failure. :madman:

So, which FRONT tire should I get that would give me the same characteristic of the Python: high volume, 2.2+, approx 600 grams, relatively cheap (I got the Python for $23), and decent grip in dry and hardpack Northern Cal conditions?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I don't know what the results are with the Ghetto system but I know Hutchinson standard folding bead tires are on the "no-go" list on Stans page. I haven't tried a "no-go" tire yet tubeless (my IRC's are wire bead) so I don't know what the results would be.

That said, if your willing to give it a try the IRC Mibro 2.25" might fit you bill. They're light (590 grams) and cheap ($20 at Price Point)...they also have a tubeless version for $30 but it weights over 700 grams.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
For a front tire, it might be worth getting something with a bit more tread than the Python, since it won't slow you down much, and front grip can sometimes make the difference of body ground contact or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts