Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
Great looking setup

Mike, Great looking setup. I almost feel nervous following this epic trip. I wish you all the luck and hope the trip is a great success. Your doing what my mind wants to do but the mortal realities need lots of cold hard cash in which I'm in short supply. That type of riding is what I consider real mountain biking as going around in circles doesn't quite do it for me although it can be fun sometimes but I like seeing places I have never seen before.
GOOD LUCK bro and Godspeed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DM

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im a bit dumb most of the time so forgive what is potentially a very dumb question Mike but im wondering if you are going self supported and not planning on spending a dime what happens if you get offered smoked salmon,eskimo ice cream or moose stew on the trail by one of the locals,do you decline?
If my understanding is correct and you do decline can i confess to mailing Sharon at Puntilla (perhaps too soon along the trail to see you buckle) that she needs to prepare moose stew and a place at the table for you and im currently exploring my contact in Elim to see if they cant fly a pizza in from Nome at the first sightings of a lunatic at moses point.
You dont have to thank me.

·
This place needs an enema
17,448 Posts
carlhutch said:
Im a bit dumb most of the time so forgive what is potentially a very dumb question Mike but im wondering if you are going self supported and not planning on spending a dime what happens if you get offered smoked salmon,eskimo ice cream or moose stew on the trail by one of the locals,do you decline?
If my understanding is correct and you do decline can i confess to mailing Sharon at Puntilla (perhaps too soon along the trail to see you buckle) that she needs to prepare moose stew and a place at the table for you and im currently exploring my contact in Elim to see if they cant fly a pizza in from Nome at the first sightings of a lunatic at moses point.
You dont have to thank me.
Carl-

If I get to Elim I'll worry about it then. But for the rest of the trip, the plan is to not set foot in a building or buy/trade/accept anything at all. Next year I won't have those luxuries, so this year I gotta find out what it feels like. -30 is one thing, but for three weeks without getting inside? Probably cake for Bearbait, but I have no idea what it feels like and I need to learn.

Bill M keeps taunting me with sushi and chocolate milk--saying he's gonna eat it in front of me wherever we cross paths. You can have the milk, Bill, and if you can find sushi between McGrath and Skwentna, I'll be happy to watch you eat/choke it down.

MC

·
17,448 Posts
Bearbait said:
Mike, There has got to be a way to get that rig heavier, Looks to be alot more space on the trailer to strap more crap too. you've given it a good try.. but..

jokin,

Nice Panniers, who made them? are they cordura or a lighter fabric?
You're right--I should take some notes from your south america trip and throw/strap more crap on there...

As heavy as the trailer is, the rear bike wheel is still the weak point--it sinks first.

Panniers are cordura. In places, double thick. Made by a local seamstress.

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
"You're right--I should take some notes from your south america trip and throw/strap more crap on there..."
Ha haa!!

You haul Fuel, I hauled water...

I dont know if any of you followed Roman Dial and Jason Geck's trip last year. They tried to hike 1000km in the Brooks range with just the food on their backs. They pulled it off but faced a bit of an internet ethical quandry when Roman ate a burger in Anaktuvuk Pass and then completed the entire trip with extra food... was it totally self-supported?? They had to put an * next to the press release disclaiming this. Intresting prespectives.

So I'd pack some lox and instant rice to make your own instant sushi on the trail so Bill has nothing to taunt you with!

·
17,448 Posts
Bearbait said:
"You're right--I should take some notes from your south america trip and throw/strap more crap on there..."
Ha haa!!

You haul Fuel, I hauled water...

I dont know if any of you followed Roman Dial and Jason Geck's trip last year. They tried to hike 1000km in the Brooks range with just the food on their backs. They pulled it off but faced a bit of an internet ethical quandry when Roman ate a burger in Anaktuvuk Pass and then completed the entire trip with extra food... was it totally self-supported?? They had to put an * next to the press release disclaiming this. Intresting prespectives.

So I'd pack some lox and instant rice to make your own instant sushi on the trail so Bill has nothing to taunt you with!
I did read that. What they did was amazing. The asterisk is a bummer.

Hoping that temptation is the worst of my problems...

MC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy crap!!!

I REALLY like Ti, but that thing is just sick!!! Good luck to you. I hope you find whatever weather it is you want out there. In general its been a pretty warm, dry winter on the North side of the Alaska Range (at least in the interior)...great riding conditions. That has me a bit nervous right now because things have to turn quite a bit and in either category to end up near "average"...which is where these things tend over time. Maybe I'm just paranoid...

So what kind of pace can you maintain on that thing, fully loaded, on a flat dry sidewalk??

Don't forget one of these on the back of that trailer:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Mush, you Snoots

I was wrong, I do want a picture of that rig and now I have some....

However as much as I love the Doogs, I am thinking you perhaps should have gone with a Malamute instead.

The final setup looks skookum chuck Mike, may the wind always be at your back and the trail hard beneath your tires and your nads warm and toasty too.

PS You gotta love the kickstand feature!

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
Trailer Design

I was just checking out the Xtracycle site and I'm wondering why MikeSee went with a trailer design instead of fabricating something similar to the FreeRadical. It seems it would save weight a bit of weight since you'd only have 2 wheels (brakes) and you'd have less rolling resistance. It would probably be a more stable ride, but that's probably nixed by the huge tires.

Anyone have any insights? I guess we'll have to wait for him to get back to hear from the man!

If you don't know what I'm talking about there is some info here: http://www.xtracycle.com/freerad.php

·
17,448 Posts
Back

Hey All-

After a week on The Trail I'm back in 'town'. My trip was glorious and successful in many ways--all of my gear prep and testing went off without a hitch. Bike and trailer rode really well (just a bit slower than I'd expected), sleeping bag and tent were glorious, food went down the hatch more quickly than maybe it should have, stove and fuel delivery were spot on, and all-in-all it was just a superb confirmation that all systems are operating swimmingly.

The only catch was the weather, and so far I haven't figured out how to control that. I made two unsuccessful attempts to get over Rainy Pass, and one march right up to the teeth of Hells Gate before getting shellacked by wind and sent packing.

How bad was the wind? Conservative estimate = 60+ out across the flats from Puntilla and on up to the mouth of Rainy. 70+ in the mouth of the pass. 70+ sustained at Hells Gate. Gusts easily over 100mph. I walked down onto the S Fork of the Kusko and got tossed around and knocked down during a lull. The word that came to mind over and over as I picked myself up off the ground was "malevolent".

I tried to wait it out at Hells Gate (inside the tent) for at least a day, then came the sudden realization that no one was gonna come that way and the trail was getting blown in behind me while I waited. So after 16 hours of twiddling my thumbs and waiting for a lull, I beat feet back down Ptarmigan. None too soon--the trail was already wiped clean and all lath had been blown out most of the way back to Puntilla.

So I rode back down the trail to Finger Lake (at an even more leisurely touring pace) and flew back from there yesterday. Woulda ridden right back to town if the wind hadn't erased the trail outta Finger.

Lots more to tell, but I've got a date with some seaweed and sushi in a few, then a ride on the Hillside after that.

Cheers,

MC

·
Registered
134 Posts
No brainer

Glad to hear you're ok and already looking forward to hearing about future adventures. Mother Nature has the last say, there's just no getting around that. If you ever want to test a rig come up to Fairbanks and we could go on a trip. The test would be you'd haul everthing for two (I'd want a full complement of goodies) and I'd see if I could keep up for a hour or so.

·
17,448 Posts
awinterbiker said:
Glad to hear you're ok and already looking forward to hearing about future adventures. Mother Nature has the last say, there's just no getting around that. If you ever want to test a rig come up to Fairbanks and we could go on a trip. The test would be you'd haul everthing for two (I'd want a full complement of goodies) and I'd see if I could keep up for a hour or so.
Thanks Tony--but if I haul the chocolate, I EAT the chocolate...

There was no decision to be made out there this year--it was simply not humanly possible to continue beyond where I did.

Enjoy the spring.

MC

·
17,448 Posts
daveIT said:
I was just checking out the Xtracycle site and I'm wondering why MikeSee went with a trailer design instead of fabricating something similar to the FreeRadical. It seems it would save weight a bit of weight since you'd only have 2 wheels (brakes) and you'd have less rolling resistance.
With the kind of load I'm carrying, 3 wheels are necessary to spread the weight out and keep the whole unit afloat. An XtraCycle or Big Dummy would carry the load very well, but wouldn't float for beans.

MC

·
17,448 Posts
massspike said:
What make/model are those (three) thermos bottles?

Do they fit a standard cage or are those custom?
REI ~1 liter thermi. I don't think they fit a standard cage well enough to be usable, but the King Iris cages I use hold them snugly enough with easy in/out.

MC

·
Registered
136 Posts
[QUOTE=mikesee

There was no decision to be made out there this year--it was simply not humanly possible to continue beyond where I did.

Which is anything but what you have been been in the past.The jury is still out as to if you bleed red like the rest of us.

geez Mike,you going soft on us.Whats next,Bill Merchant with a flushing toilet you dont need arctic expedition gear to reach :p

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
mikesee said:
With the kind of load I'm carrying, 3 wheels are necessary to spread the weight out and keep the whole unit afloat. An XtraCycle or Big Dummy would carry the load very well, but wouldn't float for beans.

MC
Cool, makes sense. I wasn't sure how much weight you were carrying.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.