Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new plaything:

Chauncey, as in Chance the Gardener from "Being There".

After my one ride this past weekend, I can say that the frame is much stiffer than that of my old ML7, but probably less so than my ML8. It feels less playful than my 8, but probably better for serious long-distance, eat-the-dogs Shackleton rides.

It's an impressively light frame. With stout parts and relatively big tires, the bike weighs about 27 lbs.

- Tom

Attachments

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Durance ready for primetime?

Count Zero said:
My new plaything:
Chauncey, as in Chance the Gardener from "Being There".
I ride an XL and was hoping for some improvements with this latest release.

I've bent two of those Thomson posts on my ML7 - this version looks like a post might last one ride.

The head tube looks woefully short and that stem looks freakishly tall.

I'm not a Maverick hater I just have concerns that it looks like they went another direction than what I wanted.

Like where's the Maverick rear hub? Why not do a Maxel?

I don't know what it is about designing a frame for a six foot two hundred pound rider it seems to be to far out of ordinary to be done correctly.

I'll still wait and see when the geo numbers hit the website - but it's looking like there will be no Durance in my future, damn that suucks.

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The head tube is the same as on a medium ML7 or ML8.

The stem is the stock 70mm for the DUC. It looks tall because of the perspective in which I took the photo. As you can see, I was not shooting orthogonally to the bike.

I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs, have been riding Maverick's since 2001 and have never bent a Thompson seatpost while riding my bikes.

So, hey, your mileage may vary. :)

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Grape as the new black

Does the cockpit feel different (ie shorter)? I heard the rumor was steepening of the ST angle to keep the rider over the BB. I would be concerned as the rider moves forward that there would be less weight over the rear wheel, not a big deal just different.

The rear derailleur cable route looks interesting - that's a quick S bend behind the shock, and the brake cable in front of the shock, is this the preferred new routing?

I can attribute my bent Thomsons to my riding style - they both were completely my fault. I just moved to the cheaper Bontrager post, the same clamp head used on the Speedballs.

Thanks for posting the new Durance - the color is definitely unique. What color is it called?

Did the same anodizer do your bike that are doing the T Brown 69ers? The copper brown looks pretty cool also.

Attachments

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grape Ape

The seat tube is steeper and the the cockpit is actually a bit shorter. To get in my sweet spot, I pushed the saddle back a bit farther in the rails. The speedball has a setback, so it'll probably fit just right.

Fact is, however, that I should have gone up a size, from medium to large.

As for the cable routing, that's all me. It's not the recommended setup, but I settled on it with my ML-8 and just duplicated it here. It works.

As for the color, well, it's a one-off. It is purple anodized, like all things were back in the day. I wanted a Durance and I paid for the frame, but the color and name (my snowboarding nickname) are funny, unsolicited, and unique things Maverick did for me as a friend.

·
Hoops - Big and Small
1,083 Posts
Yeah you seem to be pretty tight with the guys - can't you get them to update the DUC graphics to match the frame! ;)

It's good to see the Durance's have hit the streets, so to say - looking forward to seeing the new factory colors, again thanks for posting.

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that is a good idea

You know, that fork is going on 4 years old! That has to be close to 100 in mountain bike years, don't you think?

You're so right, though. A purple fork would look awesome on there. :)

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
The stem that the OP is running is the 25.4mm version and is quite high.

Thomson post are strong, yet fragile. I do not recommend them for mtn riding @ my shop. Get the Speedball! :thumbsup:

I'm 6'1" and ride a XLG 7.3, they fit a tad on the "small" side :skep:

The mav recommended cable routing is very good with no issues.

I'd call the colour 'I threw up in my mouth a little' :D

i'd like to thank this posting due to True Blonde and Arrogant Bastard ale! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Scoty

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its a shame they have dropped the top tube by the seat tube and put that awful gusset in there. Its just so structurally wrong. The top tube should should be higher and match the top of the spring / damper mount as per the ML7.5

I love the colour of your frame!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts