Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Put me down for part of the 1%. At the end of this thread you might find that 99% of the 29"er riders don't have 26" bike anymore :)...

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Because that's what 99% of the market is. Looking at the industry as a whole, there is only ONE large, non-botique maker of 29" bikes out there. Fisher. Anything else, Walt, Ventana, Lenz, Orbea, Surly are all considered botique since they are not widely distributed/known. I know it can be argued on the Surly thing, but I'm holding my ground. You can't take this forum as representing the entire nation of mountain bikers. We're all geeks in here, on EVERY forum. We're vocal, somewhat connected. Give it a few years and more standard XC type riders will be on 29er's. Untill then, It's just us freaks.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Aldone said:
Hello I'm interested in buying a 29" wheel new bike, I read most of the topics and i have a stupid question:

If 29" are so good why 99% of the riders use 26" bikes ??

Thanks
26" bikes are the industry standard and have been for years. It takes time for a new and better product to penetrate the market. Nevertheless, 29" bikes will grow and spread as the benefits become apparent to the general riding public.

As the trend towards 29'ers grows, the major manufacturers will be forced to produce more 29" bikes, or lose profit.

The industry runs on money, and if the riders want to buy 29'ers, then the industry will have to supply them.

Time..... it will take time, but as more and more riders realise the benefits of the bigger wheels, it will happen.

R.

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Like Martini said, that's just all that has been available for years. I think all one needs to do is look at the market from the top down. When just about every custom manufacturer offers most of their bikes in 29, and when many of the larger bike companies, "Fisher, Santa Cruz, Kona, etc,) are starting to offer models, it's only a matter of time. People don't know about 29er's cause they aren't as well represented as there 26 conterparts. Why would you choose a 29 over a 26 if you've never seen one, much less have ridden them? Join the revolution, buy the bike, let your friends ride it and spread the word.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Actually made me faster.

How many bikes can you say that about?

I like buffed singletrack with a few root drops. I was told a 29er wouldn't work as well as a 26 there. Wrong. It ripped up the singltrack every bit as well as my 26. Plus it rolled off the roots better and was more stable in the rough.

I'm coming over to the dark side some time in January.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
So, you are a singlespeed rider...

Then you must know that in the singlespeed category 29er's are making the greatest headway as far as rider acceptance. I'd be really surprised if the 29er segment of the singlespeed market was less than 1%. By your interest in urban assult and dirt jumping I feel it is safe to assume that you are pretty young. What really surprises me is that the majority of 29er haters are young riders. I thought that young people were MORE inclined to have open minds???

Padre is right: this smells like you may be a troll. So here is my way of dealing with possible trolls: post something worthy of thought on this thread and show us that you are not one. Myself and many others here are willing to welcome you with open arms and share much info if you really do desire it.

If you don't choose to prove yourself a non-troll, I am going to put you on my ignore list. Hopefully many others here will chose to do so as well. Then you will never be heard from again, Ain't it cool?

29erchico

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
29erchico said:
. By your interest in urban assult and dirt jumping I feel it is safe to assume that you are pretty young. What really surprises me is that the majority of 29er haters are young riders. I thought that young people were MORE inclined to have open minds???
35 is young????
Not sure the 29er word has spread to much of Europe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
29erchico said:
Padre is right: this smells like you may be a troll.
29erchico
Sorry but what's a troll ??

I'm really interested in 29" but ...

10 years ago all snowboarder used strap bindings
5 years ago the future was step-in binding
Now step-in binding are discontinued because only few riders loved them

I can't buy new K2 Clicker Step-in boots 'cause they didn't sell them anymore, so I have to throw away my loved system and buy a strap binding

I just don't want to do the same error again

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Very good points about the "Clicker" experience.

I don't think 29ers are going away though. Even if we never got better tires, rims, and forks, there are enough good ones already that you everyone here will keep rolling along happy.

You will not regret it.

P.S. a Troll is someone who posts something so stupid are argumentative, that everyone jumps in with their 2 cents (and the troll just sits back and laughs).

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
See it like a virus. Most XC and Trail riders can get it. Actually, chance of getting it is almost 100%, if you've been in contact with them enough. A long ride on one most often does the trick. It's only about funds after that. Now considering this started with only a few bikes, it just takes time to reach a couple million moutainbikers spread over the world. Right now there seems to be more demand than supply, so the movement is being held back by manufacturers rather than pushed.

Research among custom builders how many bikes they make 29 vs 26. Way more than 1%. Some make 90% 29" or better. Some refuse to make 26" anymore.
26" custom singlespeeds, anyone seen a new one lately? :)

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
I don't believe he's a troll and so he deserves a answer. :rolleyes:

I can give you all the facts and figures and testimonials but the BEST way to find out what a 29 is all about is to just ride one. If you see someone one the trails with one, Ask them if you can take a spin on it, or try to demo one from the local bike shop. After a few honest minuetes on one you will see what the difference is and you will become asimilated. ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I admire your optimism.

Wish I Were Riding said:
Very good points about the "Clicker" experience.

I don't think 29ers are going away though. Even if we never got better tires, rims, and forks, there are enough good ones already that you everyone here will keep rolling along happy.

You will not regret it.

P.S. a Troll is someone who posts something so stupid are argumentative, that everyone jumps in with their 2 cents (and the troll just sits back and laughs).
You must not be a typical "American Consumer"
Most folks, that 99% thats been referred to, in America are used to getting the brightest and the best new shwag every year. Thats because the American Industrial machine has supplied new "bling" every year to replace their "old" worn out stuff from the year before. It has created a nation-wide short attention span. Im afraid that if biggies like C-Dale and Specialized dont step up and start swingin a 29" bat soon, it may very well go the way of step in bindings. Thats not to say that Im not optimistic, but Americans on the whole are pretty easily controled by their media. If they arent shown by the big brands like Fox, who will inevitably follow suit with Specialized, that bigger wheels are actually better for most if not all types of riding, then they probably wont ever know. Period.

P.S. that trolling thing sounds kind of fun....
maybe ill go over to the 20 something forum and stir the soup.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Oh, I'm pretty good at spending money, so don't think I'm not a major consumer!

I don't own a 29er yet, but I'm ordering one from Gene Spicer. I am hoping that I will end up with a bike that I can make last a long time. I am very excited to get the process rolling.

I can see how trolling might sound fun. Just don't abuse it to much. ;)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.