Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,744 Posts
I've always heard bad about bear lake, but I love the meridian lakes side and it makes for a great loop from Lost Lake. Just so cool back there in the rain forest and a total 180 (not just directionally) from Lost Lake. Awesome duality. Only negative is riding the road for 7 miles to get there, but it goes by pretty fast. Every kind of fungus imaginable and stuff that looks like it's from another planet. You do some climbing and ups and downs, but it ends with a good sustained descent into Primrose, so when you reach the "top", you are done. I kinda want to do the bear lake section just to do it once and see for myself.

I hit the meridian lakes early this year before the fungus was really out, so there was almost "none" on this ride.

GOPR3770.jpg

GOPR3771.jpg

GOPR3776.jpg

GOPR3779.jpg

GOPR3780.jpg

GOPR3785.jpg

GOPR3775.jpg

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,744 Posts
So, do you park at Primrose, ride the road to Meridian Lakes, then ride up Primrose for the loop?
I use it to make a loop out of Lost Lake. Usually by riding Lost Lake from Primrose to Seward, then back on the highway for 7 miles to the old ski area where the Meridian Lakes trail starts. I've run it both directions, starting at both trailheads. I like the one I described above the best. The other way I like doing Lost is out and back trailhead to trailhead. I don't like doing it just one way and a shuttle or whatever, it's fun, but too short IMO. The funny thing is, the mileage is almost exactly the same doing Lost out and back vs. doing it one way and coming back on the road and Meridian Lakes. 28.5 miles for both. Mainly, it's about doing something "more" than just Lost Lake one way. The fact that the rain forest is a totally different ride and experience is what makes it worth it IMO. Get to ride a little bit of loam that isn't typical of most of our trails. Riding the road portion kinda sucks...but 7 miles goes pretty fast IME. Was nice this year without as much traffic.

I've been told by all my Kenai 250 friends to avoid Bear Lake like the plague though. Like I said above, I'd like to try it just to see. There does seem to be some significant climbing and descending, so that'll wear you down I'm sure. While I can do either Lost Lake out and back or the one way + Meridian pretty fast and efficiently, doing the Meridian section twice or something similar would be a pretty decent beatdown. I lost my wallet last year and ended up doing the trail section basically 3x...found it though. Thank god for water refill at Primrose.

GOPR9567.jpg

GOPR9552.jpg

G0129527.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bear Lake is not a bad trail, just tough and primative. Lots of K250 folks just end up riding it at night. I enjoyed two years ago because we were singing and just having a merry time to keep the bears away. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts