Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a brief primer on scammers that frequent here:

User names will often include a name: chrisjohnson223 and email will often not match the user name.

They will tell you they or someone they know has whatever it is you are selling for sale and to email that person.

Code:
Kindly contact Andrew he has for sale in good condition his email
[email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do not give them your email, however if you do chose to engage them via email it makes sense to check the headers of the email and then check the IP addresses that are shown there.

Code:
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 12:21:19 -0400
Received: from [173.44.129.85] (port=44578 helo=002e20f5.boostplan.buzz)
If it doesn't match where they say they are from, or if it links to Nigeria especially, it is most definitely a scam.

If you have been contacted via PM here from a person you suspect to be scammer please report the PM or send a link to their user profile to a moderator for them to check.
View attachment 1927043
There has be a large uptick in scammers joining since we changed owners and this should be a heads up to those that sell here that this is happening.

Feel free to PM me if you need a potential buyer checked out.

Thank you,
Rockcrusher

Attachments

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
13,334 Posts
Here is another example of someone getting scammed, note the info about sending money via friends and family instead of a normal good transaction.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
13,334 Posts
Another scam I ran into recently involved Offer-Up. I only started using that service a few months ago and on my very first post I had a user with no reputation or history contact me in earnest looking to buy from me, but claiming THEY needed some proof I was not a scammer.

They asked for my cell phone number, and I gave it to them since I am used to doing transactions over text for craigslist and facebook marketplace.

This is where someone who did not know better would get caught out. They took my number and put it into google voice to try and register a different number to forward back to mine. I have used google voice before. They sent me a hyperlink to complete the final approval. As soon as I saw the hyperlink I knew the entire communication was a grift. I told them to get lost and blocked their number.

Everyone should know this by now, but some must not otherwise the scammers would not continue trying - DO NOT EVER CLICK A LINK FROM AN UNVERIFIED SOURCE.

Whenever possible, Setup 2-factor verification for your email and other important online accounts.

·
Administrator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another scam I ran into recently involved Offer-Up. I only started using that service a few months ago and on my very first post I had a user with no reputation or history contact me in earnest looking to buy from me, but claiming THEY needed some proof I was not a scammer.

They asked for my cell phone number, and I gave it to them since I am used to doing transactions over text for craigslist and facebook marketplace.

This is where someone who did not know better would get caught out. They took my number and put it into google voice to try and register a different number to forward back to mine. I have used google voice before. They sent me a hyperlink to complete the final approval. As soon as I saw the hyperlink I knew the entire communication was a grift. I told them to get lost and blocked their number.

Everyone should know this by now, but some must not otherwise the scammers would not continue trying - DO NOT EVER CLICK A LINK FROM AN UNVERIFIED SOURCE.

Whenever possible, Setup 2-factor verification for your email and other important online accounts.
Oh the google verification thing is a total scam. Definitely use 2FA and you definitely do not need to verify that you are a person to sell something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.