Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the fat kid
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just picked up this fresh Trek Session 77 frameset. I'm looking to do a mega budget build to get this on the trail asap!

Let me know what kinda stuff you would look for on the cheap to get this up and going.

So far, 1/8 from 1/2 headset adapeter (if needed), chain guide, front & rear derallieur and seat post. Also there is a take-off xtr 11-34 cassette from a xc set of wheels i have.

ideas on fork and wheels first... then cheapest good brakes, crankset/bb..?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just picked up the same frame (Buddy has one and I rode it for FR.Dh and loved it.
It can either be a beefy all purpose trail bike or a beefy FR/DH bike depending on how you spec it.

So, that's the first question. Which way do you want to build it.

Check these out. Can't get cheaper that that for a 180mm fork (Direct from a bike store)
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_78&osCsid=vd5vbk513e2ihipnvf2bu1s883

Azonic outlaws. Transition Revolition wheelsets, Perfomance Loco wheelsets. MAvic Deetraks (higher priced but still a great wheel set)

For Cranks. FSA moto-x are cheap but have held up perfect for a season heavy abuse.
http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-2008-FSA-Mo...-BB-175mm_W0QQitemZ370125624891QQcmdZViewItem
Here's the next level up
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17...m&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=100 FSAGL8

There's a million choices.

Let here what you think!

Later

·
the fat kid
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like a HD trail bike, b/c i know i'll have 3-3.5hr epic AM trail rides on it, but with hucks and hits built in.

Those fork prices are nice, unless i find big regrets from people with domains, that will be my fork. I like all those wheels too, they can be found cheap out there so im not worried now.

Cranksets dont seem to be around for cheaper than 100 with the BB, so i like the moto option...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The Domain is a great choice. I've been running a 318 U-Turn on my "Do It All" SC Bullit for about a year now with no complaints.
If you want to go even cheaper look around for a 1.5 TPC Manitou Sherman.
It's a reliable,easy to maintain fork with excellent damping.
I've seen them selling for as low as $100 new on ebay.

I have also had good luck with Azonic Outlaws. They are a little heavy, but It's a strong, versatile wheelset for the money.

For cranks see if you can find a set of 2008 Shimano LX on close out. They are semi light,strong, and shift great. I have seen them new with BB for $78 but can't remember where. Try a search.

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
804 Posts
Here is a pic of my Kingfisher. The King and 77 debut'd together from Trek. I am using my King for the same thing you want your new 77 to do plus some park riding. As you see it here is is around 40ish pounds, with DH tires and tubes it is around 42ish pounds. Get the Domain, very plush fork! If you need some wheels and cheap go outlaw, strong and inexpensive. The Transition wheels would be another good idea. NOTE; when you set this bike up, I would recomend you mount the rear dropouts in the lowest position to steepen the angles, a little better for AM riding than the highest(more FR-esque) mounting holes. I use folding tires for trail riding. I use a 2.35 Highroller in rear, and a 2.35 Kenda Blue Groove StickE in front. There are light tubes in both tires. I only use the heavy tubes and tires for places like Diablo. I still hit all the same stuff with these tires and tubes on our local trails and manage fine(not flatting that is). I am a clydesdale by the way. I would caution you on getting BIG volume heavy tires on these bikes for trail riding. Also, you need to train yourself on how to trail ride these behemoths. It can be done, and be ton's o fun, but don't for a minute think it's like a hi-fi. Have the proper mindset, and all will be awesome! Oh yea, get a comfy saddle, and get some low-rise or flat bars. I put this low-rise(19mm) Sunline V1 bar on it, it is awesome by the way. However, I just picked up a Kore Torsion Flat bar for it this week. I am moving the V1 to another bike. Keep the front end low, your back will thank you and the handling, esp for trail riding, improves immensiley!

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
Absolutely no way that you can go wrong with a Domain. If I were you I would jump on that deal from SC before it gets away. Every time I find a good deal through the Santa Cruz shop I Waite a day or two just to find its sold out.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
+2 on santa cruz deals. Those will not last long at that price. Last year they had such a sweet deal on LX cranks with BB for $54 i swooped on, and Nixon Super Air Plus forks 145mm for so retarded cheap I had to buy 2....LOL
I wouldn't wait long if you go with the domain. seriously

·
Registered
233 Posts
savagemann said:
+2 on santa cruz deals. Those will not last long at that price. Last year they had such a sweet deal on LX cranks with BB for $54 i swooped on, and Nixon Super Air Plus forks 145mm for so retarded cheap I had to buy 2....LOL
I wouldn't wait long if you go with the domain. seriously
So your the reason I missed out on that Nixon :madman: I waited till the end of the weak to buy it but by that time it was gone. :)

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Hahaha........sorry man.
I actually went to the site to order my second fork after the first one showed up, and it showed that it was out of stock, so I emailed SC and asked if they could dig another one up somehow. They replied that day saying they just found 5 more in the warehouse, and cut it to me for the sale price on the website.
The next day my buddy wanted to order one as well, so I emailed them back, and within less than 24 hours, they had sold all 5. Crazy.

·
the fat kid
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never even knew about those SC deals! I might have to make something happen, as long as the pocket book says yes :p

Thanks for the ideas, im excited to get it on the trail!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have the LX cranks on a another bike and the are great I have used them for everything from trail to some light freeride but I did not recomend them for a few reasons without knowing more about the OP's riding style.
First. the 3 ring version is a aluminuim crank shaft (the 2 ring/wbash and hone series) are are steel for a stronger axle(more freeride) also, even though I never had a problem the lx's do not have a pedel thread insert. The moto-x's do. I think that's stronger and less likely for screwing with the pedal threads.

Check Jensonusa for other options on cranks, wheels and forks. They have some sick deals right now..

I ran 2 wheels sets when I only had my bullit. 1 lighter (for me:thumbsup: ) still freeride worthy but trail purpose (Lighter tubes and tires) for better rotation.
And a heavier duty set with DH tubes and tires for my shuttle or DH days.

·
the fat kid
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I'm excited about this is b/c i think im out growing the Hifi on some rides. 5" of travel is nice, but its giving me a lot of confidence and im worried about breaking it... especially b/c of how light it is. I'm 5'9" and 200lb and not real easy on stuff. I've bent my front chain rings from cranking and go threw derailleur hangers like underwear... yet havent had wheel trouble b/c i try not to get it too high off the ground. though, i puss out on stuff anyways. i hope the session will give me more confidence to get stupid :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.