Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I toyed with posting this in "Drivetrain" but since it's a Rush, I thought I'd post here in case there are C'dale specific issues. So here's the deal - this is the first time I've built/been involved in building a bike up and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the BB/crankset info I've gleaned around here.... Anyone want to take a shot at what the specifics of your preferred combo would be?

XT BB/crankset seem like a good compromise between weight, reliability and maintenance - But, if I found a good holiday sale online or on ebay is there higher end, last-model-year stuff you are partial to that I should be aware of?

On the other hand I like the way the XTR/Saints/Hones look, but am unsure whether it would present issues I am unaware of.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
My 2c.

ToastR said:
I toyed with posting this in "Drivetrain" but since it's a Rush, I thought I'd post here in case there are C'dale specific issues. So here's the deal - this is the first time I've built/been involved in building a bike up and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the BB/crankset info I've gleaned around here.... Anyone want to take a shot at what the specifics of your preferred combo would be?

XT BB/crankset seem like a good compromise between weight, reliability and maintenance - But, if I found a good holiday sale online or on ebay is there higher end, last-model-year stuff you are partial to that I should be aware of?

On the other hand I like the way the XTR/Saints/Hones look, but am unsure whether it would present issues I am unaware of.
Xt or XTR is great.I say RF Dues, or XTR. THese are X-type cranks, with the bearings outside of the BB shell. If you want somthing Stiffer/ stronger for some AM riding, what about the RF Atlas?

Saint + Hone are out. They are Freeride cranks that are not needed on a Rush.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helps

Thanks for the info. A few more questions, then. There aren't a bunch of BB size options out there that I need to be careful to choose the correct one is there? Neither my brochure on the Rush or the website seems to have specs on the BB. Does X-type = outboard bearings or is there more to it than that? Also it sounds like XT rings are pretty much the most durable at that price point; but do most of the manufacturers allow for using other rings for replacements, such as putting a XT middle ring on a RF crankset when it wears out?

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
I definitely say go with anything mega-exo

ToastR said:
Thanks for the info. A few more questions, then. There aren't a bunch of BB size options out there that I need to be careful to choose the correct one is there? Neither my brochure on the Rush or the website seems to have specs on the BB. Does X-type = outboard bearings or is there more to it than that? Also it sounds like XT rings are pretty much the most durable at that price point; but do most of the manufacturers allow for using other rings for replacements, such as putting a XT middle ring on a RF crankset when it wears out?
The stiffness is noticeable and you don't have to worry about BB size. These came on my 06 scalpel
\http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=4103&category=1528
I have mega exo on my road bike too and will never go back to a traditional BB setup. I personally try to build anything with as little as possible shimano crap. That is a personal choice, not that their stuff doesn't work well, I am just tired of being held hostage because they were the only suppliers for drivetrain. Not anymore, SRAM actually builds better shifting parts and are readily available. BTW, if you do go with a traditional BB setup, your BB shell is 68mm.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I will try.

ToastR said:
If you are looking at a standard BB, your shell size is 68. You will need either a 68x113 or a 68x118, depending on the crank.

X-Type is the outboard bearing setup, and any new crank will come with the bb that will work, with the right spacer setup. (the spacers are usually provided.)

XT rings are fine, but I am happy with the offerings from SRAM, FSA, and Truvativ. As far as the fit of XT to other cranks goes, as long as the bolt pattern is the same they should fit, but they may not match up very well looks wise.

Are you going for an ultralite build? What are your plans for the bike? What is your budget for a crankset?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aha

damion said:
If you are looking at a standard BB, your shell size is 68. You will need either a 68x113 or a 68x118, depending on the crank.

X-Type is the outboard bearing setup, and any new crank will come with the bb that will work, with the right spacer setup. (the spacers are usually provided.)

XT rings are fine, but I am happy with the offerings from SRAM, FSA, and Truvativ. As far as the fit of XT to other cranks goes, as long as the bolt pattern is the same they should fit, but they may not match up very well looks wise.

Are you going for an ultralite build? What are your plans for the bike? What is your budget for a crankset?
Thanks again for the informative replies.... I am not going for an ultralite build - it would be alot cheaper to start by losing a few pounds myself :) I'll be using the Rush for mostly XC and an occ. trip to a (midwest) ski area for a little downhill, etc. As for my budget, I'd like to score some for under $200, but would reach for $250-ish if inspired.
I still haven't settled on some of the other stuff like FR, RR, shifters (except that I want triggers), etc. so.... Perhaps I should go with all Shimano or SRAM and eliminate the mix and matching I was contemplating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.