Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone toyed with this idea? I have a Raleigh RXM I am trying to add some mount capacity to. It has rear rack mounts, and a rotor bolt in there through the lower bolt of a water bottle cage is great, but I'll need a bracket for the top bolt. Perhaps connecting it to the seat stay.

I would just align the cage with the seatstay and use some tape/clamps, but when mocking that up, I don't have the heel clearance on this bike for it, hence trying to bring the cage more upright.

Here are some photos, any ideas? A p-clamp with a 3-4" end would be perfect. I'm fine spending a few bucks on a bracket if someone makes one or DIY'ing one...cheers

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle accessory

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've done it on my Gen 1 Fargo, as you described - the lower bottle cage hole bolted to the rack mount, and the upper cage hole attached to the seat stay using a p-clamp. In my case I didn't have any heel interference.

Since the cages weren't straight up vertical, I used Lezyne Flow cages (one left-side and one right-side) to give the bottle some additional support underneath.

Worked great, though I've only used them once on a ~50 mile gravel ride where I needed the additional water capacity.

Long-term durability is unknown - I suspect the p-clamps are the weak link and would eventually fail, but it's easy to carry a few spares.

A longer arm on the p-clamp might work in your case; I'd be concerned about the lack of support on the upper cage bolt - seems like the only thing really keeping it from vibrating excessively (and eventually failing) would be the lower bolt in the rack mount.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
I’d 2nd the King Cage USB’s. 2 pair and you’d be GTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
307 Posts
https://bikepacking.com/gear/accessories/extra-bottle-cages-surly-ecr/

That's where I got the idea. I'll toy around with a DIY bracket or a p-clamp mod. This is for road and gravel all days and bikepacking.
I built up a Surly ECR from a frameset this spring. I saw the same article on bikepacking.com, and while it sounds like it worked well, it looks a little too "hack" for my taste. I just ordered a couple Wolftooth Components B-RAD 2 brackets for mine. Given the Uber-flexible ECR/Troll/Ogre dropout design, I'll be able to use two of the M5 holes in the dropout (spaced ~38mm C-C) to mount the lower slotted portion of the B-RAD 2, then put a bottle cage up top. I'll post a picture once I receive them and get them installed.

I do have a couple King Cage Top Cap mounts on the shelf, too. NICE product. I'd be using one on my ECR if I hadn't decided to run a Sinewave Reactor USB charger as my top cap.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.