Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rash of burglaries in the Bay Area, let's share some ideas on how to protect our bike stash in the house. What are best practices and what are the best devices?

I"m not to familiar with Nest and Garage door cameras and security systems so others please chime in on that.

My tips:
1) Don't open your garage door anymore - If your garage is your bike vault, don't park there anymore and don't open it several times a day. Highly inconvenient for sure but it's good for security. The garage door seems to be the highway to the theft danger zone.

Super important too is not to leave your garage door remote exposed or unlocked in your car, ever. That is the easy entry point and thieves are using it. They can steal it during the day and come back at night for a raid.

2) Lock the side gate - side gate latches are inconvenient since they are padlocked only from the inside but there are other solutions now. There are 2-way locks too that can be opened with a key from either side.
example: https://amzn.to/37Fd3R7

3) Abus floor anchor and chain
In the garage, lock the bike so an anchor on the floor Amazon.com : ABUS WBA100 Ground Anchor : Padlocks : Sports & Outdoors

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,122 Posts
You may want to look closely at the title of your thread, fc. 😋

Reactions: b rock and Harold

·
Registered
496 Posts
Would it make more sense to NOT share your security precautions?
If your particular precautions are easily defeatable with foreknowledge (eg. tricks), then sure.

But most precautions (locks, etc) remain protective even with foreknowledge, and hence function as a deterrent. People put up signs and stickers on lawns and vehicles to inform of alarms, dogs, and other security measures for that very purpose.

And I mean, it’s not like anybody is posting key profiles and their addresses here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also, Pewag security chains seem to be the gold standard when it comes to protection-per-mass, and seem to be equivalent to the next-size-up counterpart in Abus security chains. However, Abus security chains are built with features not available from Pewag that increase their practicality and usability.

Maximal-sized (12mm AFAIK) Pewag security chains are impervious to bolt cutter (including hydraulic) attacks, but no chain can resist angle grinder attacks. At-best they can only delay. If you can keep a chain off the ground (where their freedom of movement makes cutting them by any means much more difficult), you’ve bought yourself even more time, and possibly even effective deterrence.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,263 Posts
At that point you might as well go whole hog and drop some anchors into the floor too.
This is no joke right here. Concrete anchors and solid bolts are what saved my tool box the last time I was robbed. Bike are one thing, but if my toolbox that I have had for 25 years and every tool I have collected my whole life was stolen.. Ah man I'm getting anxiety just typing this...

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
At that point you might as well go whole hog and drop some anchors into the floor too.
Maybe. I reckon if your door is panels it would be pretty easy to bypass regardless. A hole in your track and clevis pin would take seconds to install/remove and secure enough.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,875 Posts
I don't have a garage and the bike goes inside the car to the trail. I try to only take it in/out after dark. And I always lock the doors. Just trying to avoid as many prying eyes as possible and not making it the easiest target goes a long way IMHO.

·
Registered
496 Posts
As a Californian I'm going to go with stop voting for liberal catch and release policies. People in the Bay Area get the government they deserve.
The real reason liberal “catch and release” policies can go overboard and run amok is because nobody from the other side has presented (and continued to not-present) any real solutions other than doubling-down on the stupid. Our stupid is less stupid than the sh!t the other side has been peddling... and that says something in the face of what we deal with first-hand.

Don’t forget that California gave us all Reagan, Pete Wilson, and The Gubornator. Maybe not all of those guys might meet your modern standard of “Conservatism”, but it shows CA is more pragmatic that you would paint us as.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts