Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to build up a new full suspension 29er. I haven't had a MTB for a while so I'm trying to learn about the current equipment... so I might need some help here.

I demo'ed a Rocky Mountain Element 970 BC Edition and really liked the handling, confidence inspiring suspension, and dropper post. I didn't like the drivetain, brakes, average cockpit parts, and the heavy weight (I think it was ~ 30-31lbs).

I'll be using it for XC riding, maybe some marathon racing. Rooty, loamy, rocky, muddy East Coast terrain. I'd like the final weight somewhere around 23-24lbs +/-

My thinking thus far:
Group:
- SRAM XX1
- SRAM XO1

Frame:
- Rocky Mountain Element 999
- Rocky Mountain Element 970 RSL
- something else?

Fork:
- Magura TS8 R 120 eLect
- Formula ThirtyFive 120
- something else?

Wheels:
- ZTR Crest, Tune Canonball/Kong
- Ryde Trace XC, Carbon Ti
- something else?

Seatpost:
- Thomson Dropper
- something else?

Brakes:
- Formula R1 Racing
- Shimano XTR
- something else?

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No feedback so, maybe the build isn't that exiting, but I'll continue with planning regardless..

I might be decided on the Rocky Mountain Element frame with XTR (perhaps the double crankset will be good for my terrain)

Still intrigued with the Magura eLECT 120 fork with wireless lockout (perhaps getting the rear eLECT shock later)
... or the Formula ThirtyFive with 35mm fork stanchions as it has some good reports, although they are few (a rare fork I guess).

I'm also interested in the Ryde Trace XC rim @ 21mm and 340 grams. Anyone have any experience with this? Another close option is the BOR XMD 333 @19mm inner and 360 grams. Again, few first-hand experiences out there for me to decide...

Pedals:
- Look Quartz Carbon Ti
- Eggbeater with Ti Spindles
- something else?

Tires:
- No idea... help me out. Looking for good mud/loam grip without a huge weight penalty.

So here's a quick list on the components still up in the air:
Fork?
Wheels?
Tires?
Pedals?

·
Registered
346 Posts
The carbon Element 29 frame is fantastic.

Monarch XX shock, SID XX fork, dual remote.
1x11 XX1 drivetrain (2x10 XTR if you need a wider range), XTR brakes. Notubes wheels, or Lightbicycle rims laced to DT hubs. Done.

That is basically my bike, except I currently have the Fox dual remote suspension. 23lbs in size XL with 2.25 Ralphs.

Swap the SID for a Lefty If you want to make it more exotic and a touch lighter.

XTR pedals are still imploding for me, so I'd recommend XT or maybe Ritchey Paradigms (light and haven't _yet_ failed).

·
Registered
346 Posts
I say forget the dual remotes and go with the RT3 version of each. Less weight, less clutter, fewer things to do during a ride, which IMO, detracts from the ride itself.
Not my experience, but to each his/her own. When I first received my Element (I've had, and still have, bikes without remotes), I thought I'd turf the remote... But once I became accustomed it I found that I used it all the time when riding variable terrain, especially in the techiest XC races.

It's less distracting than derailleurs, IMO.

I rode a posh rental carbon Tallboy for a week last fall, and the lack of remote drove me a bit nuts.

The RT3 setup is nice for sure. In my ideal world, there would be RT3 + remote.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts