Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride trails a lot and hard so I was wondering what the ideal front travel for me would be. I had 5inches with my stock fork and I just bought a Manitou black for wit 4inches...is that enough travel?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is going to sound snotty--but that's not an answerable question-as in, only you can assess what's "Ideal" or "right" for you. Poke around these forums you'll find guys who ride 6 inch travel tanks for marathon racing and guys who ride rigid fixies for technical trail riding--there's no right or ideal answer for something that's subjective and personal....don't let the bike magazines get into your head--they're just selling stuff--

Besides--you bought the fork already--that would make it "ideal" in my book.

Ride and Ride

·
FS and SS rider
73 Posts
So many factors, all subjective....

I agree with SuperbMan: Only one person can tell you what is ideal: YOURSELF. There are so many other factors that you have to take into consideration, like trail type/conditions, plushness, platform, how big are the rocks/roots, etc. All this, then you gotta think about how much of the trail feedback you want/can take....

The better questions for you is: How does/did your fork feel? Did you have it set properly? Did you tune/adjust according to the type of riding you did?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Did I miss the part where you state what kind of bike you want to install this fork on? Your question is kinda like going shopping for shoes and not allowing the shoe salesman to know what your foot size is.:D I get a red flag, however, when you say that your "stock" fork was 5" and now you obtained a 4" fork to use. Manufacturers usually do a fair job of putting an appropriate fork size on their bikes, so I'm wondering why you went to a shorter fork. There's not enough info here to give you a good recommendation.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Haro Shift R5 and as far as the change in travel, the stock 5incher only went in about 3 1/2 iches, it was a stiff peice of crap imo so I figured that overall it wouldn't make much difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.