Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideal stem lenght for 575

Hi
I am looking at purchasing a 575 but am really struggling with the sizing, i am 5'11 , 1.80m for those in normal countrys, and looking at the sizing table I am sit right on the cusp of a med and large.... I have done a table showing all the frame dimensions of all the bikes I was thinking of bying and have had, Currently the bike I am on "Titus Swichblade" is a large, and looking at the table even the med 575 has a longer top tube than the SB. Although I will admit I somtimes wish for a little bit more stretch in that department. I test rode a 5.5 large yesterday and fet very comfly on the bike, thik it wa maybe abit to big, but it is hard to tell on a normal farm roads.

Can anyone help me out with the sizing, also if the 575 is suited to a partucular stem lenght that will help aswell...
thanks
D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,787 Posts
I am exactly your size... I ride a M with a 100mm stem with 710mm bars... but I think I would prefer a Large with a shorter stem (I could not test ride before getting it)... I might eventually do the switch though...

I am renting a Large 575 at the Tribe Gathering in August :ihih:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,209 Posts
FWIW, I've ridden my small 575 with a 120, 110 and 100mm stems and the bike handles fine with all three lengths. It all depends on your riding style and terrain. Your LBS should offer to swap out stem lengths (and rise) until you find your preferred position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
I'm a hair over 5' 11" and I used to own a large 575. For me to be comfortable on it, I ended up with a 75mm stem. Didn't like the way it handled. I now own a medium with a 110mm stem and I like it much better. The shorter stem/longer wheelbase was better for steep technical downhills, but for everything else, I prefer the longer stem/shorter wheelbase.

Edit: To answer your question, IMO a stem between 90-100mm would be best for the 575.
 

·
In my mind, I can do it!
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Ben575 said:
I measure 1,80m, I have a 575 in L size and I put a Thomson stem in 70mm/0°

You've peaked an interest now with that tidbit of pics... Lets see the whole bike. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
I am right at 6' (well really about 1/8" under!) I went with a large and a 110mm stem. I have a long torso so it works well with the 110 stem. form what you have said, I would go with a large and 100mm stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
DH_WP said:
Hi
I am looking at purchasing a 575 but am really struggling with the sizing, i am 5'11 , 1.80m for those in normal countrys, and looking at the sizing table I am sit right on the cusp of a med and large.... I have done a table showing all the frame dimensions of all the bikes I was thinking of bying and have had, Currently the bike I am on "Titus Swichblade" is a large, and looking at the table even the med 575 has a longer top tube than the SB. Although I will admit I somtimes wish for a little bit more stretch in that department. I test rode a 5.5 large yesterday and fet very comfly on the bike, thik it wa maybe abit to big, but it is hard to tell on a normal farm roads.
If you can, I would highly recommend you ride both a medium and a large. Like I wrote earlier, I started with a large, but recently switched to a medium. But a lot of other people our height like the size large. For us in-betweeners, its all about personal preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
OT - And Ben575 for the avatar win! God bless the under-boob. :thumbsup:
 

·
Brit on a trip
Joined
·
453 Posts
Just to confuse matters a little - I am 6' 3" and ended up with a medium for preference. I run a 100mm stem and an in line USE seat post.

My riding year revolves around a two week trip to the Alps every summer where the trails tend to be exremely steep and very technical, with numerous very tight switchbacks. The large was too long for that kind of riding - the medium is better suited, although a large would probably be more stable at speed or for head down XC type riding.

The TT length on the medium is around 23" which gives plenty of room to stand on the pedals but also allows me to get clear behind the saddle in the steeps. Definitely try both before committing, but also think about the main type of riding you want to optimise for. It is a very versatile frame!
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
DH_WP said:
Hi
I am looking at purchasing a 575 but am really struggling with the sizing, i am 5'11 , 1.80m for those in normal countrys, and looking at the sizing table I am sit right on the cusp of a med and large.... I have done a table showing all the frame dimensions of all the bikes I was thinking of bying and have had, Currently the bike I am on "Titus Swichblade" is a large, and looking at the table even the med 575 has a longer top tube than the SB. Although I will admit I somtimes wish for a little bit more stretch in that department. I test rode a 5.5 large yesterday and fet very comfly on the bike, thik it wa maybe abit to big, but it is hard to tell on a normal farm roads.

Can anyone help me out with the sizing, also if the 575 is suited to a partucular stem lenght that will help aswell...
thanks
D
I'm 178 and ride a Medium. It seems about right for me with a 50mm stem to avoid endos. I can run a 110mm stem quite comfortably too but would not want to go any longer than that.

However, regarding your sizing table. I wouldn't place too much faith in the geometry charts. My medium frame ETT doesn't match up to the listed specs (it's almost half an inch off). So best thing is just to demo both frame sizes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
womble said:
However, regarding your sizing table. I wouldn't place too much faith in the geometry charts. My medium frame ETT doesn't match up to the listed specs (it's almost half an inch off). So best thing is just to demo both frame sizes
How exactly did you measure your ETT? I'm curious and would like to measure mine, just for kicks.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,787 Posts
pixelninja said:
How exactly did you measure your ETT? I'm curious and would like to measure mine, just for kicks.
I remember having a short discussion with womble on this on another thread... I also found it to be a bit off.. but not as much as womble.... I do agree with him , that in the best scenario you should try both

I measured horizontally (using a level) from the center of the seatpost to the center of the top of the headtube (just below the headset's top cup) with the Pike installed.. I haven't remeasured with the Z1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, here is the spreadsheet I made ...
as you can see, even the med 575 is longer than my SB ... oh I was on a a med swichblade....

the other option is wait another 4 months and get the ibis Mojo ....

 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
crisillo said:
I am exactly your size... I ride a M with a 100mm stem with 710mm bars... but I think I would prefer a Large with a shorter stem (I could not test ride before getting it)... I might eventually do the switch though...

I am renting a Large 575 at the Tribe Gathering in August :ihih:
I am also your size and I ride a L with a 90 mm stem
 

·
Ricky Bobby
Joined
·
148 Posts
575 from 2008--Question

After having read through the posts here I still am at a loss. :confused:

My Yeti is a size M but I run it with the 36 by Fox. So that significantly changes the TT on the bike itself.

Now as you know by now most manufacturer charts are off a tad, but I'm going on faith here that for this year (2008) Yeti has their act down, and has posted the right measurements in the manual.

I submit for your consideration my two options:

A) 50mm 0 deg. rise stem for use with a 2" riser bar

&

B) 70mm 0 deg. rise stem and a 2" riser bar

I've gone as far as entertaining the thought of buying both the 50 & the 70--just so I can know for sure which fits me best. But as I want a Thomson Elite stem this is shaping up to be an expensive proposition. :skep:

Let me know your thoughts please--thanks in advance.

Cheers!
 

·
Ricky Bobby
Joined
·
148 Posts
Follow-up

mville_mtnbiker said:
After having read through the posts here I still am at a loss.

My Yeti is a size M but I run it with the 36 by Fox. So that significantly changes the TT on the bike itself.

Now as you know by now most manufacturer charts are off a tad, but I'm going on faith here that for this year (2008) Yeti has their act down, and has posted the right measurements in the manual.

I submit for your consideration my two options:

A) 50mm 0 deg. rise stem for use with a 2" riser bar

&

B) 70mm 0 deg. rise stem and a 2" riser bar

I've gone as far as entertaining the thought of buying both the 50 & the 70--just so I can know for sure which fits me best. But as I want a Thomson Elite stem this is shaping up to be an expensive proposition.

Let me know your thoughts please--thanks in advance.

Cheers!
------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot to mention a couple of other facts:

1) I'm running a 650B front wheel

&

2) I'm 5' 11"

Thanks!
 

·
Ricky Bobby
Joined
·
148 Posts
Follow-up Pt. 2

mville_mtnbiker said:
mville_mtnbiker said:
After having read through the posts here I still am at a loss.

My Yeti is a size M but I run it with the 36 by Fox. So that significantly changes the TT on the bike itself.

Now as you know by now most manufacturer charts are off a tad, but I'm going on faith here that for this year (2008) Yeti has their act down, and has posted the right measurements in the manual.

I submit for your consideration my two options:

A) 50mm 0 deg. rise stem for use with a 2" riser bar

&

B) 70mm 0 deg. rise stem and a 2" riser bar

I've gone as far as entertaining the thought of buying both the 50 & the 70--just so I can know for sure which fits me best. But as I want a Thomson Elite stem this is shaping up to be an expensive proposition.

Let me know your thoughts please--thanks in advance.

Cheers!
------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot to mention a couple of other facts:

1) I'm running a 650B front wheel

&

2) I'm 5' 11"

Thanks!
I'm going to run this one:
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top