Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I order a new rim, I may as well ask,
What is the ideal internal width for the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 x 26? Which I expect to have on the bike more than anything else.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well, the 2.4" Ardent 29er casings measure true to size, or at least did before I gave up on that deathly design for my trail surfaces and riding, so I would suggest something in the i30 range or even i35, depending on what your riding terrain is like and how you ride. Actually a wider rim might flatten out the tread pattern some and help alleviate that horrible, big, no transition zone between centre and side knobs and supper aggressive lean angle needed to engage those side knobs :skep:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Before I order a new rim, I may as well ask,
What is the ideal internal width for the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 x 26? Which I expect to have on the bike more than anything else.
Are you planning on putting it on the rear? I would suggest a multi purpose rim such as this one:

Product Photograph Line Plastic Metal

There are much better tires from Maxxis; Aggressor, Rekon, Forekaster, Ardent Race and Ikon. They are listed from grippy to fast rolling. Any of these tires would perform better in all the same conditions as an Ardent.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is for 29er rigid bike, may apply to 26?? Running the 2.4x29 Ardent up front on what is now my back up bike. Started on i19 rim, new wheel set with i24- good improvement. Able to run lower pressure. After about 5 years, the rear wheel gets destroyed so I built a new wheelset using the Flow at i29. This flattened out the tread a bit, nice volume boost. Running 18PSI seems to be the sweet spot, lots of traction. Can't ride when wet do to sticky mud. Hardpack, bobble heads, broken shale. I have no desire to go wider rim for this tire, seems to work real well paired up.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you ride_?
Here?,

Are you planning on putting it on the rear? I would suggest a multi purpose rim such as this one:

View attachment 1256087

There are much better tires from Maxxis; Aggressor, Rekon, Forekaster, Ardent Race and Ikon. They are listed from grippy to fast rolling. Any of these tires would perform better in all the same conditions as an Ardent.
Reads so much better since I found the ignore this user button
This message is hidden because LyNx is on your ignore list.

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,619 Posts
A wile ago I bought a 29x2.4" Ardent off a rec from another member here, ended up with other tires I liked better up front, namely a 2.5" WT DHF. I now have that Ardent on a 29i Flow MK3 in back and it seems fine, I think it works well with the 29i rim.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,822 Posts
26-30mm. Actually designed for a narrow rim. For the pictured bike the Ardent would be perfect. As bikes have become more slack with more travel, the Ardent becomes overwhelmed. The small side knobs wears fast in rocky terrain. It’s too heavy for pure XC or even light trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.