Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ideal HT geometry around Philly

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dougr 
#1 ·
Had debated a new bike this year, a lot of HT's have as low as 65 degree head tube angle which I think may be a bit to slack around here. Anyone have any input as to what theyve found to be ideal geometry

#3 ·
There is no one "ideal" geometry, it's more to do with personal preference and riding style (when terrain doesn't necessitate a specific type of bike).

I have both "old school" geo hardtails and very modern aggressive hardtails. I ride them both on the same trails, but my riding style changes depending on which one I'm on.

If you like a quick, nimble, snappy kind of ride characteristic, stick to an XC geo bike. If you prefer LLS and want a bruiser of a hardtail, there's plenty of those available now a days.

Most people will probably fall somewhere in the middle. I don't like to single out one generic number when having discussions about geometry, there's a lot more to it than that, but I think there are good bike designs out there with anything from a 69-65 HTA that would suit you well.

#5 ·
I think your body type and riding style is probably more important when determining geometry as opposed to the type of terrain. I've been riding longer wheel base (2018 Niner Jet 9 RDO) and slacker head tube angle (67 degrees) on a wide variety of trails for the last 4,5 years having graduated from a 2001 Specialized Stumpy hardtail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.