Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently discovered a crack in the steerer of the Fox Float R 32s on my spot, most likely caused from the use of a steerer tube extension. I've just returned from a four week jaunt around the US so any sort of upgrade of the fork was really out of the question due to finances, but that didn't stop me looking, and seems how the forum is a bit quiet I'll throw some hypothetical questions out there.

It seems like in the five minutes I haven't been paying attention there's been a technical revolution and no one is riding/making 26" wheeled bikes any more. If I were to upgrade, my choices of forks for a 26" wheeled bike with a "regular" 1-1/8th head tube seem very limited. If I wished to keep my current wheelset with the 15mm qr about the only option is a newer set of Fox Talas CTD 32s, and if I was prepared to move up to a 20mm axle (wheels were on the long-term to replace list) then I could consider 150mm or 160mm travel 36's.

Am I missing something, is that really all that is available for 26" wheels and untapered steerers? I absolutely love the spot and 18 months ago I'd have said I'll be riding it for ever, but now I can't help but look at it as a bit of a dinosaur. It's already the best bike I've ever owned, and if I keep it and upgrade the wheels and fork (and probably drivetrain...) it would be even better and I'd probably be happy riding it until they stop making 26" tyres.

So, A; what is your opinion on the "best" all-round fork for the old DW spot? 150 or 160mm travel?
and B; do you think I am throwing away good money by upgrading old parts on this frame with it's small wheels and funny untapered headtube? Would I be better to keep riding it as-is [obviously with a new steerer on the current fork!] and save my coin for one of the new-style bikes? In all honestly I've never ridden a mountain bike and thought "gee I wish the wheels were a bit bigger", but I guess until I ride one I won't know what the fuss is all about...

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
I agree. I'm riding a talas 140-160 adjustable travel, 36, and it is perfect. I drop it down on climbs, lock it out even. Rides like a quick x country bike. Scary that 26'' bikes are disappearing out of Turner line up, and several others.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
The other alternative is the Marzocchi 55r or CR. Bos also makes a straight steerer fork, but they charge a fortune for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I think it depends on where you ride and the type of terrain you have. I would also check the geometry of your spot (as it may not be exactly what you think). 160 would work if your geometry numbers are spot on (or steeper) or 150 if they are slacker than stated. Depending upon the year of your spot, you may be able to fit a tapered steerer. I don't think anyone makes a straight 1 and 1/8th steerer fork for 2014.

With that said, a Marzocchi would be a perfect fit. Personally, I would not buy a used Fox fork as they can go bad real fast if they are not maintained.

I personally dumped a Talas 32 and went to an old Manitou Nixon with 20mm axles. Best move ever. I would search ebay for 1-2 year old Marzocchis. If you know Manitou forks and understand how to work a shim stack, the old Nixon forks with TPC+ are really nice as well.

I would also say your Spot is not obsolete in any way. Ride it until the cows come home and don't believe the hype - the hype stating that 26" is worthless.

Long live the Spot!

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I think u can get a revelation with straight steer tube also...much better fork than the fox as far as maintenance. Pricepoint has the all black revelation for 760$. Its a good fork for the spot.Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 26 140mm QR15 2014 | RockShox | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
Good find. Pricepoint also has this:

Marzocchi 55 TST Micro STA 160mm

Marzocchi 55 TST Micro STA 160mm 1 1/8 White Fork 2013 | Marzocchi | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

For $480.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a 150mm Marzocchi 44 Switch TA in my Spot - but I would get a Manitou Mattoc. Sure - it's only available with the tapered steerer. But you can easily just get the lower part of a cane creek 44 or something like that ... I think thats the perfect fork the spot ...

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I got a 150mm Marzocchi 44 Switch TA in my Spot - but I would get a Manitou Mattoc. Sure - it's only available with the tapered steerer. But you can easily just get the lower part of a cane creek 44 or something like that ... I think thats the perfect fork the spot ...
And it can be converted to a 27.5 if you need it to be...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Marzocchi are certainly well priced, which nearly makes me a little skeptical. Are they a better fork than the Fox 36 for half the price?

As for the Manitous, I hadn't even considered them I'm embarrassed to say. The last pair of Manitou forks I owned/rode were the old Manitou 2's [yes I'm old!] and as silly as it sounds they're always in the back of my mind whenever I think of the brand. They certainly don't seem all that common now either.

The Bos forks look nice, but I know very little about them. According to that pricepoint site they're similarly priced to the 36s or the high end Marzocchi; link.

Vespasianus I guess you're right; the type of riding/terrain will have a fair bit to do with what works best. I don't have a preference, here in NZ the trails are pretty varied from rough technical stuff to fast groomed parks. I'm more of a fast-flowy and/or technical kinda guy than big jumps and drops. Maybe it could be classified as "enduro", I think, but I'd rather just call it mountain biking. The current 32's are working fine and plenty capable of dishing out all I give them, but a little more rigidity up front would be nice.

·
Kiwi that Flew
748 Posts
I have a dual position air Lyrik on my 2010 Spot. It's an awesome fork. I keep it in the 130mm for tight twisty tracks and turn it up to 160mm everywhere else. (Noting that the A/C is longer that a 32mm fork so @ 130mm setting the front end is at an equivalent height of 135mm).
Plus they are still available with 1.1/8th steerer.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Good find. Pricepoint also has this:

Marzocchi 55 TST Micro STA 160mm

Marzocchi 55 TST Micro STA 160mm 1 1/8 White Fork 2013 | Marzocchi | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

For $480.
Run fast and far from the TST forks, they are problematic. Also keep in mind the Marzocchi 55CR adds about 5mm of trail to the Fox 36 which helps keep the handling of it about the same as a 140mm 32mm fork. If the Mattoc is truly an option for you, I would buy it without hesitation. Out of my fox, rockshox, magura, manitou and Marzocchi forks, nothing has ever worked as well as Manitou's ABS damper on the Marvel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
it's only available with the tapered steerer. But you can easily just get the lower part of a cane creek 44 or something like that ...
Is this possible? I'm not aware of any headset options that will allow one to run a tapered steerer on a 1 1/8" straight headtube... If so, I'm all ears as I'm looking for a burlier fork for my '09 DW Spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
... Im currently more busy thinking about replacing the FOX RP23 on my '12 5.Spot. I'm not really satisfied with the shock - and the propedal-thing is broken. It came broken, got repaired by FOX and is not working again.

Any recommendations for a replacement ? Maybe a X-Fusion O2 RCX ? RockShox Monarch RT3 - which tune?

·
Dont Rep me
151 Posts
... Im currently more busy thinking about replacing the FOX RP23 on my '12 5.Spot. I'm not really satisfied with the shock - and the propedal-thing is broken. It came broken, got repaired by FOX and is not working again.

Any recommendations for a replacement ? Maybe a X-Fusion O2 RCX ? RockShox Monarch RT3 - which tune?
I've had a few rides on Monarch RT3 Low/Low tune, and like it better than the stock Fox Float CTD shock or pushed RP3 I got from Push.
I can now run 30% sag without blowing through the mid stroke.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I've had a few rides on Monarch RT3 Low/Low tune, and like it better than the stock Fox Float CTD shock or pushed RP3 I got from Push.
I can now run 30% sag without blowing through the mid stroke.
Can I ask how much you weigh? At ~200lbs, I find the rear performance of the Spot with the RP23, either stock or pushed, not to be ideal...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.