Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you pick? Hardtail? Full? 29? Single? Rigid? I currently ride a basic Fisher HT. My home trails are in the Michaux but I do ride Wissahickon and the Highlands too when I get the chance. Is there an ideal bike for the Keystone state?

·
Registered
536 Posts
gswim18 said:
What would you pick? Hardtail? Full? 29? Single? Rigid? I currently ride a basic Fisher HT. My home trails are in the Michaux but I do ride Wissahickon and the Highlands too when I get the chance. Is there an ideal bike for the Keystone state?
I ride a Stumpjumper FSR, and like it, but I would look at the GF Hi-Fi 29. A friend just got a red one, and it really is sweat.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
I think an efficient full sus is the way to go IMHO. Your butt and back will thank you.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Pretty much anything from a rigid SS to a FR FS rig. I've seen it all.

Me and my gf both ride Turner RFX's. Not that we really need them, but they do help at the end of a day of riding through big, broken rock in NE Pa. The bikes also come back in one piece, which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've been really enjoying a steel long travel hardtail with large tires. But agreed with JC above. I see people on everything from Carbon xc race bikes to FR full suspension bikes on the same trails I ride.

You say you ride Michaux. Have you been to the bike shop in Hagerstown MD? I lived there several years ago and those guys seemed very knowledgeable about the riding in Michaux. For what its worth, they recommended the Trek fuel EX 7 or 8 for that area above anything else. From my rides there, I'd agree that you need something with an efficient suspension design.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Was only a matter of time before it became an ibex ad.

Best thing is to stay away. It's been documented here through the Ibex fiasco that the owner uses supposedly secure customer data to do background checks when they aren't happy. I still have screenshots about how he got info on someone from a friend of a friend and threatened him here using his name and location.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post, JC. I wasn't suggesting he get an Ibex, just pointing out what I have. I actually find the XC geometry makes it a bit sketchy on some of the steeper, rocky descents like you would find at the ATV trails (great climber, tho!).

I don't think there's a perfect bike for PA since there's such diversity of terrain, so I suggested something with more all mountain geometry as a do everything compromise bike, and beyond that a 29er w/AM geometry. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
jeffw-13 said:
I don't think there's a perfect bike for PA since there's such diversity of terrain, so I suggested something with more all mountain geometry as a do everything compromise bike, and beyond that a 29er w/AM geometry. :thumbsup:
My experiences, though mostly in the Appalachian mountains in the western part of the state, are exactly the opposite. It seems here we need to climb as much as we descend, making the majority of "AM bikes" too heavy to really be enjoyable. Most guys use lighter bikes like the cannondale rush, trek fuel ex or hardtails so you can enjoy the climbing part as much as the descending part. I've tried several AM bikes and didn't think the reward in descending was worth suffering in the climbs(Mongoose Khyber, Giant Reign X, Heckler, Prophet). But then again, I hate the term "all mountain" because you very well may be talking about something more along the lines of a longer travel hardtail or 4 inch FS and agreeing with me.

But on the other hand there are plenty that use those bikes and think they are the perfect tool for the job. As long as you enjoy it who cares

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
169 Posts
I personally would not buy a trek fuel ex..There are alot better bikes out there for money..I just recently purchased a 09 Giant Trance x3 from Holmes in Camp Hill..Most of the guys there ride Michaux on the regular..They said the Trance X or Reign X series would be the best bet for Michaux. The Reign X is alittle more towards DH/FR. So it wont climb as well..Not to mention Giant has a LIFETIME warranty..It all depends on what trails you will be riding, how often you ride, and how long you ride for..You might also want to check out the Giant Anthem X or the Gary Fisher Paragon..Trek doesnt make bad bikes there are just better choices..I look at Trek as more of a Road bike Company..Dont get my wrong they have good designs just over priced for what u get.
Personally if I would have spend alittle more I would have got a Fisher Roscoe 1..They had a black one at Holmes..Sweet ass bike in person..I think it was 2700 great deal for what u get..Its pretty much a custom/factory FS bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
good thoughts

Thanks for the input folks. I am not in the market for a new bike at this point. Friends who I ride with are on everything from rigid ss to full suspension AM style bikes which got me thinking about if there was an ideal bike for our state. Based on what I have seen and riden, I think an efficient FS XC oriented bike would be the best choice if you could only have one.

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
In Michaux, anything that doesn't break is a good bike! Haha, the terrain can be pretty rough, and a bike will take quite a beating, especially if you ride hard or are a heavy guy- I qualify as both!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
JDel said:
I personally would not buy a trek fuel ex..There are alot better bikes out there for money..I just recently purchased a 09 Giant Trance x3 from Holmes in Camp Hill..Most of the guys there ride Michaux on the regular..They said the Trance X or Reign X series would be the best bet for Michaux. The Reign X is alittle more towards DH/FR. So it wont climb as well..Not to mention Giant has a LIFETIME warranty..It all depends on what trails you will be riding, how often you ride, and how long you ride for..You might also want to check out the Giant Anthem X or the Gary Fisher Paragon..Trek doesnt make bad bikes there are just better choices..I look at Trek as more of a Road bike Company..Dont get my wrong they have good designs just over priced for what u get.
Personally if I would have spend alittle more I would have got a Fisher Roscoe 1..They had a black one at Holmes..Sweet ass bike in person..I think it was 2700 great deal for what u get..Its pretty much a custom/factory FS bike.
I was impressed with the Trek I test rode as was i with the giant trance X. Its odd the recommended the trance x and reign x. Though I agree with the choicof the trance x, the reign x is a completely different animal.

Though I like Giant bikes, I can't help but think your post reads like an ad for the company. Or maybe an ad for a bike shop that sells mostly giant with some GF?

Either way, to each their own. I was minutes away from buying a Trek yesterday and was minutes away from buying a trance X a few weeks ago. I keep hesitating because what I really want is a 2009 spot, just can't justify the purchase price yet.

·
Yung Wun Ho!!
169 Posts
dascro said:
I was impressed with the Trek I test rode as was i with the giant trance X. Its odd the recommended the trance x and reign x. Though I agree with the choicof the trance x, the reign x is a completely different animal.

Though I like Giant bikes, I can't help but think your post reads like an ad for the company. Or maybe an ad for a bike shop that sells mostly giant with some GF?

Either way, to each their own. I was minutes away from buying a Trek yesterday and was minutes away from buying a trance X a few weeks ago. I keep hesitating because what I really want is a 2009 spot, just can't justify the purchase price yet.
The Reign X series are more burlier bikes than the Trance X's
And its not an Ad its facts...And they dont just sell mostly Giants and some GF's..The also have Salsa, Trek and Haro which I think they have to order. And the owner has played a HUGE role in the trails at Michaux...If u want to call it an Ad thats fine I call it a good customer review..Since alot of Giants have been on back order they have been moving more Trek's.Im just tired of people thinking since Lance Armstrong won on a Trek they must make the best bikes which is not the case.Either way the Trance WILL climb better then the Trek..
Like stated before buy a bike for what u ride the most not what u will ride alittle..

·
my church is the woods
1,066 Posts
I'm surprised no one has stated the obvious...at least to me; that is bikes MADE in PA, for PA trail rides. like the EWR bikes. The OWB29er is a weapon for PA trails. After an extensive test ride, I am saving up for one this year.

Also, I believe Cannondale still makes some bikes in PA.

What could be better than supporting local bike builders, local bike shops, and local trail clubs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ride an aluminum Rush (still made in the USA) and it handles PA stuff pretty well. When I went down to Harrisonburg, VA (a bit rougher than most PA stuff), I would have preferred a slightly bigger bike (like my buddies Blur LT), but it still managed quite well. Good all around bike, could use better BB clearance though.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Good point, for NE Pa, and Rothrock, I really like a higher BB to clear the rocks, and then a slacker head angle. We can get into suspension dynamics, but that's going to open a whole different issue. That said, we chose bikes for that type or riding that have initially slightly higher leverage ratio to help "float" over the smaller stuff without losing too much, then later in travel it goes to a lower leverage to control bottom out. We're running roughly 68 degrees and 14 something in the BB for 150/160mm of travel.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.