Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in shocks and suspension, but wanted to share with my Yeti friends:

I was putting air into my shock today when I thought of something. I haven't seen it here so I thought I would share my idea. I work on medical equipment and use nitrogen. I thought it would be a great idea to fill the shock with nitrogen (tires also). This would be more consistant. Any thoughts would be great

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
Why not? If you've got access to it and can regulate the low-volume / high pressure your shock requires, there's not real reason not to. No real negatives to it. You may find that pressures are maintained longer with nitrogen. It weighs fractionally less, is drier, has "bigger" molecules than oxygen so theoretically loss through seals might be less.

But considering that air is 78% nitrogen anyway, I can't imagine any real world benefit. But like I said, if it's easy for you to do it, there's not any reason not to try. Some auto tire dealers offer it as an option.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
yep..no negatives to it...IIRC Push filled the shocks with nitrogen after service (also because that is what they already have available when servicing the shocks)

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dangeruss said:
Why not? If you've got access to it and can regulate the low-volume / high pressure your shock requires, there's not real reason not to. No real negatives to it. You may find that pressures are maintained longer with nitrogen. It weighs fractionally less, is drier, has "bigger" molecules than oxygen so theoretically loss through seals might be less.

But considering that air is 78% nitrogen anyway, I can't imagine any real world benefit. But like I said, if it's easy for you to do it, there's not any reason not to try. Some auto tire dealers offer it as an option.
Well I thought because air expands and retracts with temperature change, nitrogen would be more stable and consistant. I will try air for a month and then switch to see if there is a change

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.