Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Idaho Homers floating around? Starting to plan a late season, septemberish, road trip and am thinking of heading up around Boise and Sun Valley to have a look around. Was hoping for a little guidance as far as where to ride and places to camp and or crash.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
107 Posts
Homers

give us a call at Custom Cycles,
or stop by, we have maps of Boise and Sun Valley to lend..
and advice on what to ride and places to stay or camp...
also can hook you up with some local homers..
tue-fri 10-6
sat 10-4
208-338-5228

·
Registered
498 Posts
There's a lot of information on riding in the Stanley/Sun Valley/Ketchum area on the Idaho forum stickies, check there. There is an endless supply of trails in the area and early to mid-September would be great riding in SV. Also, check out Adventure Maps for detailed maps of the areas. Lots of good Forest Service camping options throughout the Wood River valley especially just North of Ketchum on Hwy 75. Trail Creek Road & Warm Springs road have a lot of unimproved camp spots too. Plenty of camping in Stanley if you head that way too (which I'd highly recommend as a scenic detour between BOI & Ketchum).

Boise has good riding, nothing as diverse or scenic as Stanley/Sun Valley. There are multiple RV type resorts if that's what you're looking for. Also, there is one FS campground at Shafer Butte, which is at Bogus Basin- our local ski hill about 20 miles from downtown. Some of the best MTB trails in Boise are at Bogus too. Check out our network at: http://www.cityofboise.org/RidgeToRivers and http://www.swimba.org

Enjoy!

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for all the information. I'll take a look at all the information and drop a line to the boys over at Custom when I've got more of a workable plan.

Thinkin a two week trip would kick ass, but have a feeling a I'm gonna need more time or a second trip.

happy trails...

squish

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Just got back from my first trip to Idaho. I'm impressed!

If you like long flowy ups and downs on super buff singletrack, this is the place! Ketchum and Stanley trails are divine. Even the climbs are relatively enjoyable. This is from someone who is not fond of climbing. Yeah, I'm lazy!:D

We were ther last week of June before the mad rush. September would be an awesome time too. Camping was spectacular at Stanley Lake and I hear Redfish is pretty sweet too. Good camping within 5 miles of Ketchum too, north side.

Where are you coming from? If you can fit it into your itinerary, the drive along hwys 75 and 93 from Ketchum to Missoula is breathtaking. Some rustic hotsprings to be enjoyed along the way.

A worthy destination. I'm going back in the Fall!

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! I'll be heading that way from Iowa, thinkin rolling through South Dakota to visit some friends then through Wyoming. Sounds like I made a good choice for the vacation, gotta get a few things fixed on the van to make sure it gets me through mountains!

happy trails...

squish

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Riding in SD? I hear it's pretty sweet too.

BTW, I brought my 6 Pack/RFX to Idaho. Too much bike for those baby ass trails!

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heck yeah! Riding in and around Rapid City is RFX worthy for sure. Right in the middle of town no less! Storm Mountain is worth a look too, there are several other trails that escape my mind.

I'll be takin the RFX as it's the only bike I've got. It's worked for me on every trail I've ridden for the last 3 years, we'll make it work! I'm likin everything I'm seeing so far, starting to get a touch fired up for this trip.

happy trails...

squish

·
Flacko
267 Posts
I am in Ketchum and would be happy to show and tell. Going up to whitefish for labor day other than that should be around .

cheers

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will surely be in touch alta. I'm starting to put this thing together, and am seeing some really killer places to ride. I love old WWII aircraft and see there is a crash site on Loon Lake that I would absolutely love to check out, Baltik that's up around McCall and looks like it will be a cool ride.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Here is what to expect in Boise...
Lots of sandy swoopy trails... Some technical stuff but mostly buff and fast...

Climb for 2 hours, descend for 15 to 20 minutes... Just watch out for other users the closer you get to town (and most rides basically start from downtown)

Very singlespeed friendly trails... Although maybe not if you're some place flatter... SJ and I are on SS most of the time...

You can be in the center of downtown Boise, get on your bike and in less than 10 minutes be on singletrack...

Best of all, there are always people to ride with and about 50% of them are girls...

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
And then there is Stanley, Ketchum, Challis, etc...

Apollo Creek (north of Ketchum)

This trail is so unused, some parts are only marked by cairns...

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Adams Gulch (almost right in downtown Ketchum)

Fox Creek (or a trail off of Fox Creek)

Greenhorn Gulch

Don't forget cheap beer at Lefty's

Praire-Miner (north of Ketchum)

Fisher/Williams Creek (a little bit South of Stanley and Redfish Lake)

There is always trail food and beer at the end of the ride...

·
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Best of all, there are always people to ride with and about 50% of them are girls..."

Sold! LOL. That doesn't suck, it's good to see a concentration of women riders like that, there aren't nearly enough!

Everything looks so buff, so fast. Really like the looks of the rocky stuff too, and that scenery is outstanding. A guy could definitely fill up a two week trip pretty quickly and still have trails left unridin.

I'm not a fast climber, my friends say it's like climbing behind a mac truck up Vail pass, but I've gotten to where I don't mind it. But the elevation is going to kick my arse I think, Sioux City is only at 1200 feet, oxygen might be some what tough to come by.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
squish said:
"Best of all, there are always people to ride with and about 50% of them are girls..."

Sold! LOL. That doesn't suck, it's good to see a concentration of women riders like that, there aren't nearly enough!

Everything looks so buff, so fast. Really like the looks of the rocky stuff too, and that scenery is outstanding. A guy could definitely fill up a two week trip pretty quickly and still have trails left unridin.

I'm not a fast climber, my friends say it's like climbing behind a mac truck up Vail pass, but I've gotten to where I don't mind it. But the elevation is going to kick my arse I think, Sioux City is only at 1200 feet, oxygen might be some what tough to come by.

happy trails...

squish
Boise is only around 3k in town and about 5 to 6k up at Bogus so you'll be fine....
Ketchum/Stanley on the other hand, starts at about 6 or 7k and just goes straight up so it may take a ride to adjust... I have friends from the East that visit regularly and it only takes them one ride to get used to pushing...

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Thanks Flip. Excellent stoke!

Elevation was truely felt on the last steep climb up the Greenhorn/ Imperial loop. Scenery made up for it though.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts