Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Id/ Lefty questions...

Hey guys,
I am new to the Ellsworth forum, I been on the Cannondale forum for years. Anyway, I now have a (new to me) 2001 Id and was looking for the geometry numbers with both the Romic and Fox Float shocks. Is the travel increased when fitted with the Romic? Head angles, seat angles?
It is now in my Park stand being assembled with a mix of old and new parts including my Lefty Max 130 as the suspension up front. I'll post pics soon if anyone's interested. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
not sure of the angles, however with the romic i believe it increases the rear travel from 5" to 5.75", thus making the ht and st a little slacker. i thought the lefty only worked with a 1.5" ht, the id is 1.25? good luck and post pics when it's done

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It really depends on the exact shock you use, not the brand. Stock i2i was a 7.875" shock with either a 2" stroke or a 2.25" stroke. However, you can fit a 7.5" shock with a 2" stroke to lower the BB 1/2" and slack the head angle ~1 deg. 2" stroke is ~5.25" travel, 2.25" stroke is ~5.9" travel. The 2.25" stroke shocks slacken and lower things a hair but not much.

Typically the Romics were 2.25" stoke and the Fox floats were 2", however there are exceptions. My Romic came with 2" stroke :rolleyes: and there are 2.25" floats out there. IMHO the feel of the bike is very different depending on stroke and i2i. The 7.875" i2i doesn't feel good to me unless I run a fork with at least ~518mm Axle to Crown (AC) length.

If you put a shorter fork on it, the bike feels quite twitchy on the downhills, IMHO. The 7.5" i2i will correct for that. However, I find 2" stroke shocks, set up properly, to be noticably firmer than the 2.25" stroke because you have to run them a bit stiffer for bottom out resistance. I like the plush feel of the 2.25", but that's personal preference. I threw a long 6" Marzocchi on the front to balance things out and it is a long legged, sorta light trailbike. Like this, is a technical ridng machine which will crawl over some very large obstacles, but it's not as confident in the super steeps as a lower BB would be. The ground is a ways down there ;)

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
It really depends on the exact shock you use, not the brand. Stock i2i was a 7.875" shock with either a 2" stroke or a 2.25" stroke. However, you can fit a 7.5" shock with a 2" stroke to lower the BB 1/2" and slack the head angle ~1 deg. 2" stroke is ~5.25" travel, 2.25" stroke is ~5.9" travel. The 2.25" stroke shocks slacken and lower things a hair but not much.

Typically the Romics were 2.25" stoke and the Fox floats were 2", however there are exceptions. My Romic came with 2" stroke :rolleyes: and there are 2.25" floats out there. IMHO the feel of the bike is very different depending on stroke and i2i. The 7.875" i2i doesn't feel good to me unless I run a fork with at least ~518mm Axle to Crown (AC) length.

If you put a shorter fork on it, the bike feels quite twitchy on the downhills, IMHO. The 7.5" i2i will correct for that. However, I find 2" stroke shocks, set up properly, to be noticably firmer than the 2.25" stroke because you have to run them a bit stiffer for bottom out resistance. I like the plush feel of the 2.25", but that's personal preference. I threw a long 6" Marzocchi on the front to balance things out and it is a long legged, sorta light trailbike. Like this, is a technical ridng machine which will crawl over some very large obstacles, but it's not as confident in the super steeps as a lower BB would be. The ground is a ways down there ;)
+1, my 2004 Id with the Romic Dual 7.875x2.25 specs out at 5.8" of rear travel and combined with the Fox Vanilla 125 RLC results in about a 69 degree HA but still handles like a Ferarri in the tight single track up here

the only downside is the very high Standover, but as I'm not planning on any more kids, I can live with that, and you don't really notice it when on the bike (it's the getting off).

Enjoy the bike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Got some numbers for you this am.
bike spec: 2001 production frame .
Med Frame, Romic shock(2.25" travel 7.8" long),2003 ZI FR(5" travel) fork,American Classic Disk wheelset, WTB 2.4 Mutorapters.

Tires:2" tall from floor to rim
Bottom Bracket: 15"
Standover: Measured about 2" ahead of bb, 32", if measured at center of pedal with crank @ 90.. it would be 33" at least.
Fork: axle to top of crown is 20.5", yes there are lower forks that weigh less available.
Head tube angle is 68.5 or 69 degrees
I forgot to measure the toptube...
Hope this helps

ps.. regardless of the numbers, if you crave tight, nasty,bumpy trails and don't do a lot of high speed downhills... it's just the right tool.
Short and steep stuff is good if you pay attention and ride it right.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you!

Yep. Project 321.com makes conversion kits which consist of a 6061 AL steerer tube and two bushings. It's solid. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Project-321-Can...hZ001QQcategoryZ36135QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
I am just waiting on a thomson stem/seatpost to finish the build. I'll have pics up shortly thereafter.

Thank you guys for your ID info! I searched Google, but wasn't happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Unfinished...

Still waiting on parts.
Thomson stem/post, cables, new BB.
Fox float is on it's way to Push industries.
Cleaner pics when finished.
Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Tarbaby4Ever said:
That ID looks focking sexy !!!! Very nice,and hope those parts come in soon ! Enjoy ! :thumbsup:
Sexy in an amputee kind of way.

The lefty shock works really well, from what I hear.... but to call its lopsided look sexy is very strange, to say the least :rolleyes:

The bike does have a nice parts spec.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

I'll post bike specs, weight (target is 27.5-28 pounds w/float), a ride report, and some muddy pics early this upcoming week.
The Lefty actually rides better than it looks. ;)

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Sexy in an amputee kind of way.

The lefty shock works really well, from what I hear.... but to call its lopsided look sexy is very strange, to say the least :rolleyes:

The bike does have a nice parts spec.
Strange is better in my books then plain old normal,and beauty,like sex appeal is in the eye of the beholder. :p I say that ID is hot !!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tar for the kind words. I'm stoked.:thumbsup:
On a side note, I've been on single pivots for about 8 years, and have never owned a linkage bike. That, I think, is what I am most stoked about, a re-energized ride aboard something totally hnew.

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
Your welcome,I am curious of what if anything Ells had to say about the warranty and that lefty ? I must admit you have put ideas in my head,as far as front forks go.Do you happen to know the axle to crown length ?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tarbaby4Ever said:
Your welcome,I am curious of what if anything Ells had to say about the warranty and that lefty ? I must admit you have put ideas in my head,as far as front forks go.Do you happen to know the axle to crown length ?
I am going to guess any warranty is an afterthought because I am the second owner.
I have measured from the axel to the bottom of the steerer (just below the lowest of the two steerer clamps) and came away with 18.5 inches. It'll be tight, I know, because I had to make some slight mods in lowering the bottom clamp to allow room for the king headset. If it rubs when bottoming out, it rubs. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PCfatty said:
looks like mine (sans lefty). you should ride it withthe romic before changing the shock and see what it's like.
I will, that's a good idea. I planned to use the Romic, then sell it, when my Float came back from Push. If it rides nice I'll keep it around. God, that bloody thing is heavy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.