Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '03 Id, which does not measure out even close to Ellsworth's published specs. I am trying to figure out if my experience is an anomaly. Would Id owners be willing to measure their bikes and report back here?

Measure unsagged:

Frame size (15", 17", 19")
Shock and travel (eg Romic 5.75")
Fork and travel (crown to axel length if you have it)
Tires (measured tire height if possible)
Standover, vertical to center of top tube (as shown on Ellsworth site)
BB height, measured to center of bottom bracket
Top tube length
Wheelbase

Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Suggest you do a 'Tony Ellsworth" search... he posted a few days ago about how he came up with the Id measurements. For Example the starting specs were with a Manitou Black Fork.

I'll measure my (2001) Med tonight and post info later.

Redriderpro

·
Registered
314 Posts
Got some numbers for you this am.
bike spec: 2001 production frame # 42 I think.
Med Frame, Romic shock,2003 ZI FR fork,American Classic Disk wheelset, WTB 2.4 Mutorapters.

Tires:2" tall from floor to rim
Bottom Bracket: 15"
Standover: Measured about 2" ahead of bb, 32", if measured at center of pedal with crank @ 90.. it would be 33" at least.
Fork: axle to top of crown is 20.5", yes there are lower forks that weigh less available.
Head tube angle is 68.5 or 69 degrees
I forgot to measure the toptube...
Hope this helps

ps.. regardless of the numbers, if you crave tight, nasty,bumpy trails and don't do a lot of high speed downhills... it's just the right tool.
Short and steep stuff is good if you pay attention and ride it right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Redriderpro

Forgot to post my own measurements (duh):

19" Id frame, Romic 5.75", Talas fork (measured at 5" setting, 19.5 axel to crown), Continental Vert. Pro UST 2.3 tires

Standover at middle of top tube: 34.1"
BB height: 15.2"
Head angle: 70

I agree with you in your assessment of the bike's capabilities and best use. I just don't understand why they put up specs that are so misleading (almost identical to the Moment's, which is obviously a different geometry), and clearly are not remotely close to the specs on the bike pictured on the website (Z150!). BTW, they seem to be giving the Id away--check the deal on Beyond Bikes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Having used the EW warranty three times...(early Truth) I look forward to using it again to get a Moment( or the latest Id)... if the Id ever breaks...
I just sold my spare bike ( Giant AC-1) that I had built up, it was a little better on fast downhills ( rare in Florida) but not as good in the tight stuff( plenty of that here) and I kept falling off of it from hitting the pedals on roots and the ground.

The Giant had a much lower BB and slacker headtube... probably more like a 5 - - - -, I like the Id's setup better, at least for Florida tight trails.
Redriderpro

jerseyguy said:
Forgot to post my own measurements (duh):

19" Id frame, Romic 5.75", Talas fork (measured at 5" setting, 19.5 axel to crown), Continental Vert. Pro UST 2.3 tires

Standover at middle of top tube: 34.1"
BB height: 15.2"
Head angle: 70

I agree with you in your assessment of the bike's capabilities and best use. I just don't understand why they put up specs that are so misleading (almost identical to the Moment's, which is obviously a different geometry), and clearly are not remotely close to the specs on the bike pictured on the website (Z150!). BTW, they seem to be giving the Id away--check the deal on Beyond Bikes.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
My Id is a medium. Tires are front weirwolf 2.5 on a Fox vanilla (19.5"-axle-to crown) and ritchey zmax 2.35 on rear.

BB height unloaded :14.75"
Standover to center of TT a little over 32"
Wheelbase nearly 33"

Forgot to measure TT length. edit: 23.5" horizontal imaginary line to center of seatpost from center of headtube where top tube intersects it.

Rough head angle is around 69.5 deg.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Redriderpro said:
Having used the EW warranty three times...(early Truth) I look forward to using it again to get a Moment( or the latest Id)... if the Id ever breaks...
That's funny since when I had my Truth, I was wishing it would break so I could get the Id which came out two months after I got my truth...The good and the bad news was, my wish came true!!

·
Slow and Old
19 Posts
I own an '02 small 15" ID with an 02 marz fr 130mm fork

And a Romic rear shock. I currently Have Nokian Gazzolotti Core 2.3 on the rear and a WTB Moto 2.4 on the front. The BB measures 14.75 without rider and the standover measures 31.25 floor to the top of the top tube (where one would stand) without a rider. The wheel base is approximately 42.5 and the tires measure around 2.25 floor to edge of mavic f519 rim with about 35lbs of air.

I enjoy this bike very much. (and I fully understand the warranty! Hah!)

Tim

·
Registered
691 Posts
Your Id must be quick on the corners with that Wheelbase!

lidarman said:
My Id is a medium. Tires are front weirwolf 2.5 on a Fox vanilla (19.5"-axle-to crown) and ritchey zmax 2.35 on rear.

BB height unloaded :14.75"
Standover to center of TT a little over 32"
Wheelbase nearly 33"

Forgot to measure TT length. edit: 23.5" horizontal imaginary line to center of seatpost from center of headtube where top tube intersects it.

Rough head angle is around 69.5 deg.
Did you have to run it into a tree, or did the frame come that short from Ellsworth? A 33 inch wheelbase would cramp the riders "cockpit" a bit for me. Anyway, it might be fun to see what Ellsworth would do to warranty THAT situation! :)

Just goofing with you. I'm another happy Ellsworth owner who thoroughly understands the warranty, and I don't find it unreasonable.

John W.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
papajohn said:
Did you have to run it into a tree, or did the frame come that short from Ellsworth? A 33 inch wheelbase would cramp the riders "cockpit" a bit for me. Anyway, it might be fun to see what Ellsworth would do to warranty THAT situation! :)

Just goofing with you. I'm another happy Ellsworth owner who thoroughly understands the warranty, and I don't find it unreasonable.

John W.
Oops, I put the fork on backwards....LOL!

yep..typo...43"

·
Will work 4 fuel...
24 Posts
15" Id measurements...

Measurements (unsagged):

Frame size: 15"
Shock and travel: Romic 8" i2i , 5.75" travel
Fork and travel: Manitou Sherman Firefly 130mm travel, ~20.5" axle-to-crown
Tire height: front Panaracer Fire DH 2.35 approx 2.25" tall. rear Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 approx 2.1" tall
Standover, vertical to center of top tube: approx. 31.5"
BB height, measured to center of bottom bracket: approx. 15"
(virtual) Top tube length: 22"
Wheelbase: 42"

Don't know how close these #s are supposed to be to measurements listed on the Ells website...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.