Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding with an Easton EC70 Monkeylite on my last two bikes for four years now. Took it off the first trail bike when I sold it. Its now on my Intense 5.5. Besides one or two surface scratches from the occasional spill, it has been flawless. I don't do any drops other than jumping off small trail ramps and bumps but I have been known to ride some gnarley, rocky trails.

I've been thinking that it is about time to replace it with a new bar and am considering getting an OS bar. I will get the Easton Monkeylite again but can't decide on the standard or OS bars.

I'd really appreciate any input from guys/girls who are now using OS bars. What are the pros and cons of changing from a standard bar? :confused: Thanks,

Ronnie.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Supposedly, OS bars are stiffer for only a marginal weight gain. However, I am also unsure of whether to get a OS or standard...

FOR OS I am considering Race face Deus or Ritchey WCS stem and ritchey WCS bar.

for normal I'd probably go with a F99 with standard bolts and a EC90 CNT Easton bar...

·
Registered
144 Posts
My experience

I've changed between standard and O/S set-ups on a couple of bikes to see the difference. I've doen the change out on a hardtail and a f/s rig. I am about 6'3" and run about 185lbs. Everything else being equal, what I've found is that going to oversized with aluminum bars was not to my liking. The oversized bar seemed to transfer more vibration through them and my wrist and arms got tired quicker. Couldn't say anything about stiffness as I didn't notice any flex in the original aluminum bar. Just seemed that the oversized aluminum beat me up more. Using oversized carbon bars was a WAY different story. I didn't like my standard sized carbon bars due to the amount of flex they allowed. I did like the sense of dampening vibration - but the flex drove me nuts. Going to on O/S carbon bar was the trick - perfect for me. Limited flex made me feel more secure and in touch with the bike, but it continue to dampen vibration. A perfect combination for what I was looking for. Swithched both bikes to O/S carbon set-up and that's what I will always use from now on. As an FYI, I've used Easton, Race Face, LP, and Titec. The new O/S Race Face Next bars are very sweet but my personal favorite has been the Titec stuff. I have used their C3 (last years model) bars and RIP stem and love them. They are coming out with a line called Pluto this year which looks to have some significant upgrades from the C3. I had a brutal OTB crash last year while using the Titec carbon riser and RIP stem and scratched up both parts. I was completely surprised that I didn't break the bars - only scratches and nicks on stem and bars. Sent the stuff to Titec to look at and they sent me a new stem (for free) and a new bar (1/2 price) even though it was my bad all the way around. No B/S, no hassles, fast, easy, awesome. Titec customer service is the best in my experience. I wanted to experiment with the new Race Face stuff, its a nice product, but due to marginal customer service I am doing what I should have done all along - stick with the Titec product.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

I just set up my new bike with Thomson X4 OS stem and Easton CNT OS bars and I love 'em. They are noticiably stiffer which I feel translates into more precise steering. As for a weight penalty, the Thomson X4 OS stem is about 40 grams lighter than their Elite stem and the OS CNT bar is only only 25 grams heavier than a 25.4 mm Monkey light sl riser.
I am setting up my other bikes with OS stem and bars as soon as more funds come my way.

hth,
-R

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
So far I like it

I put a Hussefelt stem and handlebars on my new trail bike. Have had it out for about 3 1/2 hours and while I can't say I notice a huge difference in performance, it certainly has given me a psychological edge. I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone snapping a pair of handlebars or breaking a stem, but just knowing I have oversized components on the bike leaves less for me to be concerned about.

Clyde

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
some facts

Ronnie said:
I've been riding with an Easton EC70 Monkeylite on my last two bikes for four years now. Took it off the first trail bike when I sold it. Its now on my Intense 5.5. Besides one or two surface scratches from the occasional spill, it has been flawless. I don't do any drops other than jumping off small trail ramps and bumps but I have been known to ride some gnarley, rocky trails.

I've been thinking that it is about time to replace it with a new bar and am considering getting an OS bar. I will get the Easton Monkeylite again but can't decide on the standard or OS bars.

I'd really appreciate any input from guys/girls who are now using OS bars. What are the pros and cons of changing from a standard bar? :confused: Thanks,

Ronnie.
to all above, yep.

The seem stiffer, I have a little tricep tenderness but there seems to be a corresponding increase in steering precision under aggressive dh and technical sections (both up and down). Best bet is that they look cool.

Worst attribute is that you can not use your standard handlebar light mount (generally) or computer mount. Of course that is if you use one of those.

FWIW, I use a raceface diabolous and a truvativ XR (or something cheap), ride agressive XC/Freeride in a 6"/7" travel set up and weight in the 200lbs range.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
One point, that may or may not be an issue: I had some OS bars and noticed that my light I use for night riding would not clamp on to an OS bar. That was a pain for me.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would have mattered untill last year when I ordered a helmet mount for my L & M HID to try out and I prefer it. What I'd like to know is how they feel. Are OS bars any better? I'm going to buy a new bar as a precaution. Is it worth my while to get an OS bar because then I have to also get a new stem, which I don't mind, but are they better or just hype?

Ronnie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.