Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had a ID frame for just under 2 years I have found a crack in the seat tube just below the seat clamp and above the top tube. At present I am being told this is not a warrenty issue and I am wanting to know if anybody else has ever had a crack in the same postion and the outcome of this.

I am running about 120mm of seatpost in the frame so it cannot be down to this.

Having found the crack a month ago I am getting very feed up of the hassel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the Uk importer that I am dealing with, they say that they have talked with Ellsworth about the crack and say it is not a warrenty issue. i have sent a letter to both UK and USA so will wait to hear back from them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 5 year old Id was sent back to EW two weeks ago with the same problem.

I've allways had at least 5.5" of seat post insertion, I don't believe the issue has to do with the seatpost. * I have never used anything other then the non-quick release seat post clamp that came with the frame.

EW was closed last week, so I sent back two day UPS the week before , for nothing, hopefully my shop will get me an answer today.

Heads Up! My Id is a Med, EW actually has 5 Med Id's in stock, my initial conversation with them I was advised if it is deemed warranty, they will send another Id frame.

I advised I wanted to pay an upgrade ( others have done this for 400.00 without a shock) to a Moment.

If my Id was a large or small, we woould move right to the Moment upgrade...

I'm waiting.( and I can wait until they don't have any more Id's if I have to)

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
why is it not a warranty issue???

camg said:
Having had a ID frame for just under 2 years I have found a crack in the seat tube just below the seat clamp and above the top tube. At present I am being told this is not a warrenty issue and I am wanting to know if anybody else has ever had a crack in the same postion and the outcome of this.

I am running about 120mm of seatpost in the frame so it cannot be down to this.

Having found the crack a month ago I am getting very feed up of the hassel.
do you have any pics???

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
It sounds like the LBS either did not contact EW or they don't feel like taking care of their customer.

If you have to find a new LBS and have EW warranty it through them, even if they are not a dealer, that is an option also. It would be nice if EW would recognize the problem some owners are having with LBSs and open a channel to deal with customers one on one for warranty issues.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having got a reply from the Uk importer at the weekend they are still saying that it is not a warrenty issue and as I asked they have returned by frame to me. I asked them how they could say that I run by seatpost with only 45mm of seat post in the frame. They have not answered this. When you look down the seat tube there is indead a mark at 45mm but this is a mark caused by grease and water.

I am very disapointed with the service I am getting from them and told that but nothing has changed.

Has anybody got a email address for Ellsworth?

Riderpro- Have you heard anything back about your frame?

Attachments

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
from what little i know...

camg said:
Anybody got any comments
that is NOT a stress riser point on any of Ellsworth frames and i am pretty sure on ANY frame period...

i hate to say this, but i dont know how this would have happened if you had 10cm min of seat post in the seat tube...

do you have pics of your seat post with insertion marks on it???

i could be totally wrong - but you wanted honest opinion....

now, who made the decision that this is not a warranty issue?? LBS or Ellsworth...

try emailing Ellsworth these pics and ask for their opinion. you can find their email address at www.ellsworthbikes.com

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
PHONE Ells

camg said:
Anybody got any comments
My god,phone them ASAP.I had a XS Rocky Mountain steel ht that had that happen,what caused it was a 'friend' of mine,who took it out for a ride one night,and put the seatpost all
the way up,with only 10 or so cm inserted.A few hours of this cracked the seatube brace,much what looks like happened to your frame... Do not email them and hope for a quick answer
you must phone them for a quick answer.

Standard Address:
Ellsworth Handcrafted Bicycles
16225 Highland Trails Drive
Ramona, CA 92065

Phone: (760) 788-7500
Fax: (760) 788-6212

·
Registered
314 Posts
As per my earlier post...

My 01 Id was cracked in same place, only not as bad.

I had the shop send frame back to EW.

Thomas(@EW) confirmed today that IT IS warranty ( mine, anyway) and said they will ship
the Moment upgrade today. ( small upgrade fee, without shock )

Warning: DO NOT assume you will get a quick answer, the combination of my LBS and
EW's backlog has been frustrating, just plan on either having you shop call once per week or you call once per week. ( If you shop is like mine or most shops, make those calls yourself)

Thanks Ellsworth!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yup, without shock.

Med Blue. New swingarm will only be on next generation ( 06 are same as 05 ) as far as I know.

Pricing? Its what I was looking for ( as per EW), may have to push the shop a little though, cause I can't see paying them anything but freight based on what help they have been.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have now heared back from Ellsworth and the Uk importer and they are now saying that the frame is a warrenty issue. They only have a faded red ID frame that was on the shop floor. I am currently being told that I can upgrade to a moment frame for a cost of £800.00/ $1500.00 for frame only and £1,000.00/ $1880.00 with a shock.

How much has any one else paid for an upgrade?
To me this does not seem like an upgrade more of a cheaper new frame as on the web frames are £1300.00 with a shock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.