Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get some Shimano Deore m6100 brakes, it gives me the option to buy resin, resin ice tech, or metal ice tech. If I have no name rotors already I want to use, which pad option will work with them? Do you have to use ice tech rotors with ice tech pads? Or will any rotors work with the pads?

Thanks for any response. I'm new to brakes

· Registered
1,161 Posts
You can use any of the options for your brakes, Icetech finned or not.

The rotors you have fitted could make a difference. Some rotors are 'resin pads only' and some are suitable for resin and metal/sintered, semi metallic, etc.

If you do really long steep decents which could overheat your brakes and cause brake fade then Icetech rotors along with finned pads would be advisable. If not and you just do average trails and descents but you want to use metal pads then some Shimano RT66 rotors would fit and match your pad type/shape properly and will be the best ones to go for imo. 😉

· Registered
178 Posts
If I get some Shimano Deore m6100 brakes, it gives me the option to buy resin, resin ice tech, or metal ice tech. If I have no name rotors already I want to use, which pad option will work with them? Do you have to use ice tech rotors with ice tech pads? Or will any rotors work with the pads?

Those are good common questions. As it was mentioned, it really depends on whether you have rotors that are "resin only" or not. If it does state "resin only", then you should only use resin pads. However if it doesn't have such a label, you should be able to use any pads that will fit your Shimano brakes.

· Registered
414 Posts

Shimano seems to be the only brand than I am aware of that sells "resin only" rotors. No doubt made out of some cheap soft steel.

Experience has taught me a few things which I'm happy to share:
  • 1 size Bigger rotors are the better way to increase stopping power vs 4 piston calipers
  • Resin pads are good for most XC, Trail uses. They have better modulation
  • Metal are good for extended descents, Enduro and downhill. Less modulation but less fade
  • Ice tech pads (with fins) are nice but not essential. The best way to manage heat is improve braking technique.

· Magically Delicious
14,223 Posts
You should have no issues running different rotors with Shimano brakes. Just make sure the pads provide proper coverage on the rotor. The need for increased heat dissipation will be contingent on the terrain and decent rate that you intend to spend most of your time on.

· Registered
10,244 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. It is helpful.

Any real advantage to going ice tech resin pads over regular resin pads?
The only difference is the finned pads will dissipate heat slightly better making them slightly more resistant to fade.

If you are currently not experiencing fade issues with regular pads, and you intend to continue similar riding style then I would not get the finned pads.

· Registered
14,396 Posts
I personally have found Shimano finned versus non-finned pads to make very little difference aside from noise and cost. I much prefer metal/sintered to resin though.

* Also metal pads in SLX rotors (rated for resin only) will kill them in short order. I'm not sure why this is in the metallurgy exactly but it seems to me they don't deal with the heat or heat cycles the same.
Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.