Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
For those that can spell.......
No way was it frozen solid. what are stuuupid er somthing?

Most likely the next time you see a Park ranger,,, He /She would be saving YOUR dumb azz.

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ridethebike said:
For those that can spell.......
No way was it frozen solid. what are stuuupid er somthing?

Most likely the next time you see a Park ranger,,, He /She would be saving YOUR dumb azz.
Okay sorry I spelled a few things wrong?

and it was a question with a little sarcasm, but anyway, is there any where in NJ where you can ride across a lake and it will be safe, not stuuupid? (No hard feeling Ridethebike)

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Not Cold Enough

Purple Liquid said:
Okay sorry I spelled a few things wrong?

and it was a question with a little sarcasm, but anyway, is there any where in NJ where you can ride across a lake and it will be safe, not stuuupid? (No hard feeling Ridethebike)

It hasn't been cold enough for a long enough period of time in the past few years to trust a ride across a lake. Even in the far reaches of North Jersey, I would be very cautious of ice depths. You may have more success with shallow ponds if the need for riding across ice is so great. One that comes to mind is in Madison, NJ by the community pool. It's about 1 foot deep when they fill it to create an ice skating rink in the winter.

Other than that, I would stay away from the large bodies of water and look for ponds.

I remember back when I was a pup, walking across Farrington Lake in the winter. It just seems like it was much colder in the Winter back then. Either that or we were just stupid kids.

·
w3rd.
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
schnauzers said:
It hasn't been cold enough for a long enough period of time in the past few years to trust a ride across a lake. Even in the far reaches of North Jersey, I would be very cautious of ice depths. You may have more success with shallow ponds if the need for riding across ice is so great. One that comes to mind is in Madison, NJ by the community pool. It's about 1 foot deep when they fill it to create an ice skating rink in the winter.

Other than that, I would stay away from the large bodies of water and look for ponds.

I remember back when I was a pup, walking across Farrington Lake in the winter. It just seems like it was much colder in the Winter back then. Either that or we were just stupid kids.
Yeah its one of those things I need to get out of my system you know haha.

I know its still too warm, I went skiing yesterday at Mountain Creek and it was in the 40's.

Really I want to know is if anyone as been on any ice in NJ when the temperatures were MUCH cooler.

JM

·
Icebiker
446 Posts
Ice riding

Purple Liquid said:
Really I want to know is if anyone as been on any ice in NJ when the temperatures were MUCH cooler.

JM
Yes, I have ridden several, most recently Cranberry Lake near Allamuchy last season.

Good tip: if the ice fishermen are out there and doing OK, you should be fine on a bike
Better tip: if the ice fisherman are out there, there will be someone to help in case of trouble
Best tip: don't go out on the ice alone.

Also, studded tires help big-time (in case you don't already have a set)

·
shut up and pedal
281 Posts
Hey Purple sorry about the spelling thing. But please do not ride on thin ice. No way is it worth your life.
As far riding ice its really fun. Homemade tire studs work the best.
Here's pics taken in '04 during an iceboat race on the Navasink river in red bank. My self and "Rabbit" road the ice 4 miles at speeds up 20 mph one wrong move and your going down really hard.

Attachments

·
Icebiker
446 Posts
Ridethebike said:
Here's pics taken in '04 during an iceboat race on the Navasink river in red bank. My self and "Rabbit" road the ice 4 miles at speeds up 20 mph one wrong move and your going down really hard.
RTB...that is VERY cool! (Ice looks nice and thick too)

·
Slowpoke
234 Posts
I saw a couple of ice fishermen on the Monksville Res. on the way to work the other day. I was suprised to see them out there this early in the year, especially with all the open water near the dam.
I'd wait for a few weeks of really cold weather before riding on any lakes.
Now swamps are a different story, check out the recent pics posted on the NY forum. Looks like tons of fun with the right tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts