Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made up some new studded tires. Whereas my old set had about 50 studs per tire, these new ones have over 200. I put the old tires on my wife's bike and we headed out to a local swamp. I remember 15 years ago one winter going hiking on this swamp, but recollection was rather foggy.

We had a blast, its such a cool feeling riding in places that are just unaccessible during warmer months. My wife tried to kayak here this summer and made it perhaps 1/10th as far as we did today. My studs worked great, like riding velcro, I could wheelie (front and back) and do just about anything I could do on the dirt.

Unfortunately my wife found the limits of the old tires when she leaned into a corner - those ice crashes happen fast.

John

Attachments

·
from the east
288 Posts
Whoa!

That really looks like good fun. Every year I mean to, but never take the time to stud up some tires. 200 pre-drills, 200 screws, per tire.....always sounds, uh...tiresome. I suppose, though, once you get into it, just like anything else, it ain't so bad. Let me ask, What kind of screws do you use, and how long do they last, in your experience?

Eric.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Directions for making studded tires...

Bicycle Rider said:
That really looks like good fun. Every year I mean to, but never take the time to stud up some tires. 200 pre-drills, 200 screws, per tire.....always sounds, uh...tiresome. I suppose, though, once you get into it, just like anything else, it ain't so bad. Let me ask, What kind of screws do you use, and how long do they last, in your experience?

Eric.
Are here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=152285

It took perhaps 2-3 hours to do both tires. I added a lot more screws after the picture in my post. I added another double row in between the single row in the middle of the tire. I found with the Tioga DH tires, I could tell where the knobs were easily enough with the tire inside out so that I didn't need to do the pre-drill, which saved some time. My hands are rather beat up though. My wife now wants me to add some more screws to her tires. Ugh. I suppose I can't complain though.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.