Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went on my first snowed winter ride! It was a disaster! About 30 min into the ride my SPD pedals were too clogged with ice to clip into, which put an end to my ride. Any thoughts on how to avoid this or if some pedals are better than others when it comes to this? I thought maybe egg beaters might be better because they are suppose to shed mud better, right... maybe this applies to snow as well? Thanks for the input!

matt

·
I Love my Rize
830 Posts
My advice

matteus said:
I just went on my first snowed winter ride! It was a disaster! About 30 min into the ride my SPD pedals were too clogged with ice to clip into, which put an end to my ride. Any thoughts on how to avoid this or if some pedals are better than others when it comes to this? I thought maybe egg beaters might be better because they are suppose to shed mud better, right... maybe this applies to snow as well? Thanks for the input!

matt
Generally the problem is not with the pedals clogging. It is with the shoe cleats getting packed with snow and freezing smooth so you have no more cleat. My pedals were always fine but not my shoe cleats.
Dump the clipless and get a BIG DH platform pedal and now you can wear really warm winter boots and still do kicka$$ stuff. I dumped my clipless 2 years ago for the winter and never regretted it. I put my 520/s back on in the spring. Absolutely LOVE my platforms and I think about leaving them on all summer but I still do like clipless.

I use these as they are fairly cheap BIG and tough as nails, really really great pedals for the $

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...eid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Platform Pedals

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I am around snow that packs into ice all the time. I ran Shimano pedals back in the day, then tried Eggbeaters for a few years, but finally settled on Time pedals. The EB's are probably just as good as the Times in dealing with snow (both are excellent and way better than SPDs), but I like the feel and release of the Times better. When you hit the bottom of an EB pedal on a trail obstacle, the scissor action of the retention arms opens up and spits you out of the pedals. That drove me totally nuts. Otherwise they worked fine.

Go Time. You can get some of the ATACs for about $70 if you look around. Or grab a set used off eBay. The composite pedal body styles tend to be less of an ice magnet.

Composite body:

Metal body:

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I put silicone seal around the cleat to help keep water out and heat in.

I put some grease on the pedal surfaces.

My old lake summer shoes never really had the problem.

But my new winter Shimano boots do occasionally bung up cause they fit the pedal so much tighter.

I just jump on and bang the cleat on the pedal a couple of times and away I go.

NEVER EVER HAD IT STOP A RIDE.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I second the Times, when my group rides I'm the only one who never ices up, everyone else has eggbeaters. I think its the eggbeater cleats not the pedals that ice badly

·
Music & Bikes
1,683 Posts
I don't know where you are , but I'm in Montreal.
Lots of snow here.
The absolute best pedal I've trid so far are Speedplay's frog.
Their new cleats , makes a good pedal an incredible one.
There is no mechanism , springs involved , unlike SPD's, time and X-beater , so in snow stuffed ( and mud too! ) situation , they are unbeatable.

PS ; I've got the titanium models wich is pretty light too.....

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm not sure how the ice is forming on your pedals but you could take an inner tube and cut them into small sections that fit around the pedals. Cut a hole in the section for the clamp mechanism. This should keep any snow from packing in the pedal that you may be dragging the pedal through.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Y-Wrench said:
I've been riding Time pedals since they came out, and have never had any issue such as you're describing. Sounds like it may be time to make a switch.:)
Another vote for Times here. I've been riding many times (no pun intended) with SPD-equiped friends, and I clip in to my Times and go while they're still standing around, banging their shoes against their pedals and looking for sticks to clean their cleats out with. Same is true of mud, though icy snow is the worst.

Kathy :^)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
plenty of snow and ice here too..

jeffscott said:
I put some grease on the pedal surfaces.

I just jump on and bang the cleat on the pedal a couple of times and away I go.

NEVER EVER HAD IT STOP A RIDE.
WD40, some sort of silicone spray or some chain luce in a pinch.
Kick your shoe against the pedal a couple of times, works for me and the 989's I run (probably time for some new pedals).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.