Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how thick the ice needs to be before you can ride on it? I just put a drill through the neighborhood pond and it's about 3.5'. This pond has a fountain in it and I have access to others without a fountain. I rode on it last year, but did not see how thick it was, probably thicker than 3.5
Was also considering these tires: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=1781&category=405 I don't want to spend too much, was thinking about the 268 stud ones.
Thanks!

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
I've got a pond. So long as it is still cold out, so the ice is hard, 3.5" is plenty thick. I've skated on it since it was about 2-2.5" thick. At that thickness you need to be a bit careful though.
Cool, thanks!

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, which of those 2 tires would suit me better? The 104 stud or the 268 stud ones?

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tscheezy said:
I find that no ice even works if you can keep your speed up...
You must've been flying!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
What? Ride across a frozen lake after it rains? ;)

Or photoshop a couple pics together ?

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So uhh... anyone look at those tires? lol. How many studs do you think would be enough to have some fun?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
studs are like insurance.

Cozza said:
So uhh... anyone look at those tires? lol. How many studs do you think would be enough to have some fun?
buy as many as you can afford. The more the better, if you plan on riding across lakes, ice rinks, wet ice, and so on.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I had two Nokian mount and grounds, one lost the bead and side wall so I got a Schwable snow stud.

The M&G have 160 studs, SSS has I think 104 studs.

I noticed the lack of hook-up and a steep ice climb, yesterday, so I'll sipe the SSS and see if that helps.

Short answer more than 104.

Once skiied across rotten ice 11/2 thick, has a bow wave in front of me and the ski poles were going right through.

Spring and rotten ice is when it gets you.

I am crazy but have skiied 1 inch of new black ice no problems.

Biking for sure 2 inch black ice, and no rotten ice.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Any flow, like fountains, rivers or creeks, will make the ice thinner. If you are sure you have 4" of hard ice (not floating icicles) everywhere you will be fine.

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
galleywench said:
Good ice guidelines from Army Corps Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory
http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/ice/ice_load.html

Remember that ice thickness is not uniform and varies depending on current, proximity to bottom, benthic activity, etc...
I've gone through the ice and it is scary. It's much better to be safe than sorry.
Cool, thanks for that!
I was out there today, the light snow provided some nice traction, drilled some holes, I didn't find any thinner than 5" where I was going.
Just gotta figure out how to keep my face warmer (full face + goggles) and get me those studs and I'm set!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.