Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'll start a thread for Ican full suspension fat bike.
Just got mine assembled by LBS - it is great however weight is 39 pounds. I used parts from my DRT 4.1 bike but I think I will need to spend some cash.
Ironically DRT 4.1 is also 39 pounds so essentially I kept the weight the same but added suspension fork and rear shock and dropper post.

Thinking of ordering HED carbon wheels.

Now my current setup is wheels from the old bike with Sram SX Eagle

Thinking of ordering the 26 inch wheels with Sram SD hub and getting Sram GX Eagle parts (my understanding is that Sram SX uses Shimano hub and Sram GX and up use XD hub).

· Registered
47 Posts
Figured I'll start a thread for Ican full suspension fat bike.
Just got mine assembled by LBS - it is great however weight is 39 pounds. I used parts from my DRT 4.1 bike but I think I will need to spend some cash.
Ironically DRT 4.1 is also 39 pounds so essentially I kept the weight the same but added suspension fork and rear shock and dropper post.

Thinking of ordering HED carbon wheels.

Now my current setup is wheels from the old bike with Sram SX Eagle

Thinking of ordering the 26 inch wheels with Sram SD hub and getting Sram GX Eagle parts (my understanding is that Sram SX uses Shimano hub and Sram GX and up use XD hub).
interesting what size of tires ?

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting what size of tires ?
My old bike had Innova 26 x 4.8 in

This tire did not fit the rear of the ICAN frame - was touching the suspension joints, so I changed it to 45NRTH Dunderbeist which is 26 x 4.6 which fit perfectly.

I am thinking of replacing the front tire with Jumbo Jim 26 x 4.4 which is lighter than the Innova.

· Registered
93 Posts
Nice looking bike! If you want to lose weight, you're on the right track looking at the wheels, I suspect that's where most of it is on your bike. I dropped over 6 lbs on my E06 going from the cheap 26" aluminum wheels it came with, Maxxis tubes, Maxxis FBF/FBR 4.8's and NX cassette to some cheap carbon 27.5's, GX cassette, tubeless with 4.0 VH's. The handling improvement was shocking (both weight and tire size contributing). You're correct, the SX/NX cassette uses Shimano freehub, the GX uses XD.

I had my SN04 below 33 lbs with a Mastodon (which is heavier than the Bluto) with Nextie 27.5" 65mm Black Eagles but my frame is a medium:

Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle frame

BTW, I later determined the 27.5 VH on the rear of the SN04 is just a smidge too tall as it contacts the suspension link at full compression after full stretch. I currently run a 3.8 Gnarwhal in the rear with the VH in the front for summer/mixed conditions. For true winter it runs 26" Wrathchilds front and rear. They're mounted tubeless on Mulefut 80's and the pair adds 3 lbs compared with the above setup. Carbon wheels good. ;)

· Registered
421 Posts
Those wheels are garbage, as is the front tire. HED carbons are really pricey and not very durable. Id go with Nextie, BTLOS or ICAN.
I have a brand new set of ICAN 26” x 85mm wheels I plan to sell but they are Shimano HG driver.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm 5'9". About 32" inseam.
Thanks. I am 5'9'' myself and got a large frame - had to get a dropper post that can go all the way into the frame (had to research - OneUp components has droppers with the shortest insert length) - however I realized that I prefer larger frames, just feel more secure when going downhill.

Ordered ICAN wheels - HED wheels were a) super expensive b) not available until some time in January. ICAN had a wheelset in stock. Also got a Jumbo Jim tire for the front.
Also Sram GX cassette and deraileur with switch.

So it seems like my plan to use my old fat bike parts pretty much went out of the window since the only thing remaining from my old fat bike will be the handlebar and the brakes.

I think next step would be to order new brakes, reassemble the old fat bike and just sell it. :)

Anyone has brakes they would recommend that would not break the bank?

· Registered
93 Posts
Thanks. I am 5'9'' myself and got a large frame - had to get a dropper post that can go all the way into the frame (had to research - OneUp components has droppers with the shortest insert length) - however I realized that I prefer larger frames, just feel more secure when going downhill.
Yeah, I really wouldn't mind if the seatpost was about 1" shorter/had 1" more dropper insertion available on this frame. I went down to a 125mm dropper (PNW Loam) as a 150 wouldn't go down as far as I like. The bike seems to fit me well when riding though. Another wish would be just another 5mm or so of tire clearance--if you run 27.5's you're really stuck with 3.8's and despite so many running them (including complete bikes as supplied) clearance for 26X4.8's is really tight as you found out.

But those are pretty small gripes given all the capabilities of the bike I got it for. I still love it to death.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so changed to ICAN wheels and also, ahem, I also ordered a medium frame so I changed to that.

New problem - derailleur hanger on the medium frame seems to be bent a bit but it looks like it is impossible to remove, almost like it is glued in or something.

Any tricks on removing derailleur hanger from SN04 frame?

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
How would you compare it to your Fattillac, durask?
Good question. Also I am pretty low skilled rider so I go slow and do not push any bike to the limits.
I have not driven Fatillac in the snow so I cannot compare the two on the snow, only on the trail.
Max size tire on the Fatillac is 27.5 x 3.8 so to me it is not fat enough, I like bigger tires on snow. For me I use the Fatillac as a trail bike especially on rocky and rooty trails that we have here in MA.
The ICAN I plan to be my winter bike for every purpose with and without snow so that I do not have to expose my other bikes to salt.
As far as downhill medium Ican seems a bit more stable than the medium Fatillac, climbing wise it is very close so I can't tell. Also, different forks - Manitou on the Fatillac and Bluto on the Ican so it is really hard to make a fair comparison. Also I've ridden the Fatillac a lot more than the Ican.

I also have Trek Fuel Ex, I think I will sell it and get an enduro bike for downhill trails instead since I prefer the Fatillac for our local trail riding.

· Registered
675 Posts
Interesting. I looked at the 04 but decided it was too long for me. I need a short cockpit which is not popular these days. I have 27.5 x 4 Cakeeaters on my Fatillac but I have the Yippee Ki Yay on order in hopes the 4.3 will fit since the 4.5" won't.
I decided to run 27.5x3.25 duro crux which I hope will roughly duplicate my 29x3 for the summer on 50mm rims. I have a 26" fat bike with 5.05's but it is like driving a dump truck and I like the Fatillac better even if it means keeping to packed trails.
Cheers

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting. I looked at the 04 but decided it was too long for me. I need a short cockpit which is not popular these days. I have 27.5 x 4 Cakeeaters on my Fatillac but I have the Yippee Ki Yay on order in hopes the 4.3 will fit since the 4.5" won't.
I decided to run 27.5x3.25 duro crux which I hope will roughly duplicate my 29x3 for the summer on 50mm rims. I have a 26" fat bike with 5.05's but it is like driving a dump truck and I like the Fatillac better even if it means keeping to packed trails.
Cheers
I have 3.8 Gnarwhals and there is not much space in the back -you really think that you can fit 4.3 inch tires there?

· Registered
675 Posts
It is impossible to know. Manufacturers are so sloppy/fraudulent on their claimed widths that you never know until you try. The CakeEaters have more room so it depends on whether the YKY are wider and taller or just wider. My limit is in the height not the width. The panaracer 3.5" tires measured 2.8" on my summer 50mm rims. I will have to wait and see when they arrive.
I am a rider like you and I must say I was really pleased with how transparent the suspension is on the Lenz. It soaks up the spine jarring stuff with no indication it is doing anything. I am no longer feeling the bumps and not feeling the suspension doing anything.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts