Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike weighs= 24.3lbs.. could I reach 22lbs with minimal upgrades.. and is 21 out of the question?

Ibis mojo sl (medium)
crankbrother cobalt wheelset
xx sram brakes f/r 160R
xx crankset 42/28
xx front and rear derrarillur
xtr cassete
chain sram pc1091 i think
thomson masterpiece seatpost
headset cane creek
saddle wtb rocket v
stem easton ea70
handlebar easton ea70
foam grips
xx shifters
fox float 140
fox rp23
tires front maxxis ignitor 2.1
back maxxis monorail
crankbrothers pedal 3

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
all the above is possible..
the cobalt wheels aren't exactly the lightest. your drivetrain is a top performer so upgrading that would be spendy and possibly not shift as well. but a rotor crank and rotor rings would be a hair lighter and give a tap more performance i think.

id personally change the saddle, post, stem and bars.

the Thompson is pretty heavy at around 200g you can get around half that but they get pricy. mcfk probubly offers the best uberlight for the price. if not the kcnc is always a good alternative.

saddle's can get down to 50g.. yours is arround 250g i think. a selle italia can be 140g or you can get a carbon one from smud thats 69g and $129

that stem is probubly between 160-180g, kcnc offers a few that are good for the price there are plenty of sub 100g stems.

and for bars mcfk offers every shape and size all are sub 100g i think. if not kcnc has a cheaper alternative.

in all you can drop a pound with all those. which will cost about the same as wheels would to loose about the same amount of weight.

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
anything with tubless compatability.
a descent stans rim with stiff spokes(cx rays are popular) and hubs are up to you.
the cobalts have three styles now 1690g(think this is the older one) 1500g or 1380g(carbon version)

do some research see what you like. there are a lot of hubs out there

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have a Mojo SL built to 22.65 lbs. with a 150mm fork, wide riser handlebar, wide grippy tires, and the not so light Cobalt wheels @ 1520 grams, their skewers are another 125 grams.I'm in the process of having fairwheelbikes.com build me a wheelset = Extralite blue hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Sapim Alum. nipples blue, Enve carbon UST rims with fairwheels custom blue Enve rim decals.Depending on tires, this should get my bike into the high 21 lbs. range.
Like faceless said, change the bars, stem, seatpost,seat. Start with the stem - get the Ibis stem & 6 Ti bolts for it from torontocycles.com, its dirt cheap to buy and very strong as Ibis specs this stem on the AM HD Mojo. My 70mm is 91 grams & I have an 80mm at 93 grams.Next would be a Schmolke TLO riser bar,685mm = 100 grams.
One of the best upgrades I did to mine was the Specialized S-Works carbon cranks, Lighning spider and Extralite chain rings. Its a very slick set up, much lighter than XX and shifting is great.I have a thread on the Ibis forum on how to make these work on the Ibis.They are also dirt cheap if you live in the USA - $300.00, super stiff with no weight limit.I'll try and post a build list later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Its Alligator I-Links cable. Very light & its fully enclosed from the shifter to the derailleur - great for keeping dirt & water out.Shifting is excellent. I run XTR inner wire cable in it.Don't get the mini I-Links, some have issues getting it set up, although its even lighter than the regular I-Links.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Ibis Mojo SL
BB:Hive
Brakes:XTR with Alligator Windcutter rotors 180/160
Cables:Alligator I-Links with XTR inner cable/wire
Chain:KMC XL 10SL
Cassette:XTR 11/34 with the Yumea 17/20 TI upgrade ( 6 biggest cogs are Ti)
Cranks:S-Works carbon 175mm, Lightning spider, Extralite 22/32/BBG chainguide,KCNC chainring bolts.
Derailleur front:XTR
Derailleur rear:XTR 970 with Rothshek carbon cages, KCNC jockey wheels, Alum & Nylon bolts.
Fork: DT Swiss EXC 150
Grips: Extralite Foam
Handlebar: Schmolke TLO riser, 685mm = 100.9 grams
Headset: CaneCreek 110
Headset cap:Carbon with Alum bolt
Pedals: Exustar PM28Ti = 187 grams
QR: J&L Ti bolt on
Rear shock: DT Swiss XR Carbon
Seat: Sella Italia Kit Carbono Flow 131 grams
Seat binder: Mortop QR = 19.5 grams
Seat post: New Ultimate carbon = 125 grams
Shifters:XTR
Stem: Ibis 70mm = 91 grams
Tire front: Rocket Ron EVO 2.4 run tubliss with Stan's sealant= 490 grams
Tire rear: Conti Race King Supersonic 2.2 tubliss/Stan's = 445 grams
Wheelset: Cobalts ( to be changed to Extralite,CX-ray,Enve)
Misc. All bolts/fasteners are either Schmolke carbon, nylon,Alum,Ti.
All my Alum & Ti bolts came from torontocycles.com

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I weigh about 165lbs.. on my fat mode atm and yes I am doing light xc, I am really focused on getting to 21lbs on the bike.
For tires you really need to weigh them before buying eg.
My RR EVO front 2.4 has a claimed weight of 530 grams. I found 2 light ones 490 & 478 grams.
Conti RK SS 2.2 claimed weight of 480 grams. I found 2 445 & 446 grams.I've seen pics of these as light as 431 grams.
If you want to get to 21 lbs. I would go with Extralite Ultra hubs (they are even lighter than the Tune hubs) Sapim Superspokes, Alpine Rims.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The bike weighs= 24.3lbs.. could I reach 22lbs with minimal upgrades.. and is 21 out of the question?

Ibis mojo sl (medium)
crankbrother cobalt wheelset
xx sram brakes f/r 160R
xx crankset 42/28
xx front and rear derrarillur
xtr cassete
chain sram pc1091 i think
thomson masterpiece seatpost
headset cane creek
saddle wtb rocket v
stem easton ea70
handlebar easton ea70
foam grips
xx shifters
fox float 140
fox rp23
tires front maxxis ignitor 2.1
back maxxis monorail
crankbrothers pedal 3
this is an easy one:
change...
tires
shock
fork
handlebar
stem
seatpost
saddle
headset
cassette
crankset
wheels...
:eek:.

how much more are you willing to spend???:confused:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, I can do all that but not all at once... maybe like in a year or so. Not sure how much I want to spend at the moment, but I know more or less how much the components cost...

ManchVegas, I kind of need my 2x10 for the trails I ride. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.