Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rider On The Storm
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am looking to buy a new bike and I"m 5'9". That puts me right on the Medium/ Large line. For Santa Cruz I definitely fit better on a large (just demo'd the 2019 Bronson in both medium and large). Would the same be true for Ibis Ripmo? I'm trying to decide which size to demo next weekend also would like to hear about your experiences if you are between sizes for these brands. Ultimately I want to buy either a new Santa Cruz or Ibis.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hey guys I am looking to buy a new bike and I"m 5'9". That puts me right on the Medium/ Large line. For Santa Cruz I definitely fit better on a large (just demo'd the 2019 Bronson in both medium and large). Would the same be true for Ibis Ripmo? I'm trying to decide which size to demo next weekend also would like to hear about your experiences if you are between sizes for these brands. Ultimately I want to buy either a new Santa Cruz or Ibis.
for reference, a friend that’s 5’9” demo both M an L ripley and ended up with a L and a 35 stem. I know different bikes, but a point of reference, he said the L was definitely more stable and planted going down while the M was easier to handle in tight spots

Seems like you should try a L

·
Rider On The Storm
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point of reference, thanks! I have heard from one guy that thought that the Ripley sizing is smaller than Ripmo. I haven't had that advice corroborated though, and I haven't yet tried the Ripley.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's a good point of reference, thanks! I have heard from one guy that thought that the Ripley sizing is smaller than Ripmo. I haven't had that advice corroborated though, and I haven't yet tried the Ripley.
One of my family members has a large Ripley, (he's 6'1") and he's going to have to get an XL frame because it's too small, and he's having knee issues with it. He rented a large Ripmo for a few days though and it was perfect. I believe that the Ripmo is just a little more stretched out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
6’1.5” and on an XL Ripmo. Best bike I’ve ever owned and almost got a Large. Glad I didn’t, the Ripmo runs smaller than the numbers suggest. At 5’9” I’d strongly consider a demo on the Large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I'm 5'9" and have had a several different Ibis frame and went back and forth between mediums and larges and could never find the sweet spot. With my limited time on a Ripmo I felt the same struggles so I ended up going a different route. No experience on SC.

·
Rider On The Storm
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up demoing a Medium and now feel that the Large is probably the best option. The Medium was OK with the seat all the way back and the dropper post very high but I don't like the feeling that I'm completely maxing out the bike this way. I am going to demo the large though before I put my money down.

·
Rider On The Storm
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 5'9" and have had a several different Ibis frame and went back and forth between mediums and larges and could never find the sweet spot. With my limited time on a Ripmo I felt the same struggles so I ended up going a different route. No experience on SC.
That's what I'm afraid of. I really love this bike but the sizing has to be right before I lay down 6k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts